4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how many gallons is out reserve ? 1/4 of a tank etc. ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Old Maxima Legend

how many gallons is out reserve ? 1/4 of a tank etc. ?

hey , anyone know off hand how many gallons our reserve is. going to try and mix some gas this weekend. im thinking from 1/4 of a tank to empty is around 2 -2.5 gallons not really sure. but once we are on E how many gallons are we talking 1 maybe 2 ?

any thoughts
Old 04-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's 2-2.5 gallons left when the idiot light comes on. Of course you should never wait that long anyway. Always fill-up as soon as you can when you get near the 1/4th mark.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 PM

I really wish I had a digital fuel gauge... IIRC our tank holds 18.5 gallons + another half gallon in the lines more or less. I always fill up when my gauge is slightly above "E" and its never more than 14 gallons. So in reality I've got more than a 1/4 tank left. I guess its sort of idiot proofing the car, but I'd prefer things to be accurate.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:21 PM

i feel ya. The needle is one the E, light on and when i fill up, only 16 gal. 2.5 Gal still in there. I never know how much i have left.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Always sunny in philly

LIke stated, its dumb to let it go even close to that low.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why is it so bad to let your tank get that low?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have never ran out of gas in my I30, but have been past E many times and can never seem to get more than 15 gallons in my tank at a time.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just cant bring myself to fill up my freakin tank at 1.91 for premium, me being a broke college student and all...

-Eric
Old 04-15-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
I just cant bring myself to fill up my freakin tank at 1.91 for premium, me being a broke college student and all...

-Eric
heh, i wish we had your prices. Its 2.49 for premium here, yet i'm also a broke college student

Which brings me to this post, since right now i'm riding on the E mark, yet the light still hasnt gone on. All i need it just 25 more miles until next fill up (friend is coming over, he has Costco card and Costco gas is uber cheap compared to other places), so will I be able to drive for one more day w/out problems?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah, i have had the chariot for 7 years and never in all that time have I once ran out of gas, but i cant say that for the other cars or motorbikes, i have pushed or walked many times. LOL !

so to get a good idea of what my octane rating will be, im going to have to figure another 2 gallons in if i add 100 octane to an empty tank.

3 gallons: 93+93+100 = 95.3
4 gallons: 93+93+100+100 = 96.5

i guess this is close

I paid 1.95 in Southern Mississippi at chevron yesterday. i think that is the most i have ever paid.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ilyaat
heh, i wish we had your prices. Its 2.49 for premium here, yet i'm also a broke college student

Which brings me to this post, since right now i'm riding on the E mark, yet the light still hasnt gone on. All i need it just 25 more miles until next fill up (friend is coming over, he has Costco card and Costco gas is uber cheap compared to other places), so will I be able to drive for one more day w/out problems?

Stay away from that Costco gas!!!!! Used it about a year ago on my SUV and my 240sx (before my Max days). The 240sx stalled constantly and the SUV 6cyl missed constantly, changed the gas and presto back to normal. I think their octane ratings are way off!

There's always concern when running your tank low that you pickup the sediment (dirt etc) in the bottom your tank, which can clog injectors, fuel lines etc.

Hey and up here in Canada we are paying almost $3 US per gallon!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Stay away from that Costco gas!!!!! Used it about a year ago on my SUV and my 240sx (before my Max days). The 240sx stalled constantly and the SUV 6cyl missed constantly, changed the gas and presto back to normal. I think their octane ratings are way off!

There's always concern when running your tank low that you pickup the sediment (dirt etc) in the bottom your tank, which can clog injectors, fuel lines etc.

Hey and up here in Canada we are paying almost $3 US per gallon!
I always get costco gas and everything seems fine to me.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:38 AM

I don't think Costco gas should be bad. If anything, the tanks get cleared out quickly because of all the use, and you get fresh gas. If a tank sits there and the gas "goes bad" you can have some problems.

To clarify for all those who have not run out of gas....I have. I just wanted to know, while I was in town and not on a trip where I might have to or something.....okay, so I didn't mean to, and it was my first time to ever run out of gas in my 9 years of driving. I used to have a 91 Mazda 626 and when the fuel light came on, I had 2 gal left. Well, when I got my max in March of last year, I was still used to that. I was riding along with the fuel light on, and after about 20 miles (in-town mpg), It sputtered and went dead. I dont' like doing this, and I wish I would have not done it.

Anyway, take it from me, when the light comes on and stays on (not just flashes), you have one gallon left. (it might actually be 2 gal when the light first comes on, but only 1 from when it comes on and stays on.)

Whatever your mpg is, you have one of those left....for the layperson. ha ha

Hope this helps, Caesar.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by EugThinks
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why is it so bad to let your tank get that low?
The argument is that there could be some sediment in the bottom of your tank and it would get all through your engine if you drain it all the way. This has some truth to it. It depends on what gas you are putting in your tank, and I don't know if the Max pulls from lower in the tank for the gas or floats like some cars. Maybe someone else knows.
Anyway, I would not recommend getting that low, just because it is not good for your car to stall out for lack of gas.. However, it is the same thing if you kill it with a 5spd...learning to drive one. You are just stalling the engine out because you starved it of gas.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I don't think Costco gas should be bad. If anything, the tanks get cleared out quickly because of all the use, and you get fresh gas. If a tank sits there and the gas "goes bad" you can have some problems.

To clarify for all those who have not run out of gas....I have. I just wanted to know, while I was in town and not on a trip where I might have to or something.....okay, so I didn't mean to, and it was my first time to ever run out of gas in my 9 years of driving. I used to have a 91 Mazda 626 and when the fuel light came on, I had 2 gal left. Well, when I got my max in March of last year, I was still used to that. I was riding along with the fuel light on, and after about 20 miles (in-town mpg), It sputtered and went dead. I dont' like doing this, and I wish I would have not done it.

Anyway, take it from me, when the light comes on and stays on (not just flashes), you have one gallon left. (it might actually be 2 gal when the light first comes on, but only 1 from when it comes on and stays on.)

Whatever your mpg is, you have one of those left....for the layperson. ha ha

Hope this helps, Caesar.
wow, i got about ~32 more miles after my idiot light was fully light and I didn't run out of gas. I probably had enough left to go about 2 more blocks though because it was giving me the shakes when I was going up a slight hill.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:10 AM

ha ha ha
Maybe it is just because my max was new and I was just driving it like mad everywhere I went. Wouldn't you be? ha ha....going from a 91 Mazda 626 auto with a crap py 4cyl to a stick 5? ha ha
Old 04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Anyway, I would not recommend getting that low, just because it is not good for your car to stall out for lack of gas.. However, it is the same thing if you kill it with a 5spd...learning to drive one. You are just stalling the engine out because you starved it of gas.
These are two totally different things. When you stall a MT car, you are using the weight of the car to force the engine RPMs to go down below the stall speed. Once RPMs get that low, the engine can't keep running so it stalls. However, plenty of fuel is still getting to the engine. You're not starving it of fuel, you're putting too much load on it.

Or maybe I misread your comment, sorry...it's confusing.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM

Light just went on better get some gas then

as for Canada prices...check out european prices...if i'm not mistaken, they run as high as $4/gallon
Old 04-16-2004, 11:58 AM
wat

I never let it get close to E, Ive only seen the light once the whole time ive had the car. I usually do it around 1/4th a tank (fill up). I go through about 3/4th a tank every 6 or 7 days, and im getting roughyl 280-300miles to that, so im probably getting clsoe to 350miles to a tank, thats with city driving.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by chillinmax
LIke stated, its dumb to let it go even close to that low.
whats so wrong with it? I like to spread out my gas fill ups as much as possible. That last 1/4 tank last me 2-3 days so over the course of say, a month, i go to the gas station 4 or 5 times instead of 8 or 9.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:18 PM

=/ just cost me $36 to fill up f###ing A, why is gas sooo high
Old 04-19-2004, 06:45 AM

I have heard that if you let your car get down that low on petrol or let it die for lack of gas then it will clog up your injectors with all the crapola at the bottom of your tank. However, if you use that injector cleaner, I would assume (never assume cuz you make an ASZ outta U and ME) you would be ok. Gas is $1.70 at shell for 93 octane.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:11 AM

All this talk about sediments in your tank geting in your injectors and engine...

Isn't that what fuel filters are for?

And btw, my gas light doesn't go on until I have .5 gallons. Yes, .5 gallons left. So, don't trust the light.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Masaccio
These are two totally different things. When you stall a MT car, you are using the weight of the car to force the engine RPMs to go down below the stall speed. Once RPMs get that low, the engine can't keep running so it stalls. However, plenty of fuel is still getting to the engine. You're not starving it of fuel, you're putting too much load on it.

Or maybe I misread your comment, sorry...it's confusing.
I was just saying that when you are starting off in a Manual and you don't give it enough gas, it stalls. I don't think that has anything to do with the weight of the vehicle. It has to do with the amount of gas that you didn't get to the engine.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Chassis Freak

OK, you're right. Both are situations where the amount of gas going to the engine is insufficient to keep the engine going given the amount of load on it.