4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rattles be GONE! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check this;

Last week my car developed what must have been the mother of all rattles. It was apparently coming from deep within the center of my dashboard. Take note that that is where it seemed to come from. . . . . . I did a search thru this forum on rattles. Most of the threads I found talked about the A-pillars, trunk , and dashboard, but those dashboard problems were relatively easy to fix, like glovebox, radio. My problem was worse. Putting my hand anywhere on the dash did nothing to stop it. Just this past weekend, I ripped my dash apart to get at it. I took out all of the center, the Bose, climate control and center vents. I also removed the glovebox. I started the car with everything out. It was still there, I could almost hear it laughing at ME!!! It was the kind of rattle that burbles at low (600 rpm) idle, and when I hit a bump ,it kinda jangled, quite obtrusively. Those two observations should have clued me into waht type of rattle it could have been (not the dash), but I missed it. Anyhow, I take my car to my mechanic to replace my rear pads and fix my rigth rear e-brake which was sticking. I mention to him that I have this rattle that is killing me in hopes of him offering me some advice. He can only suggest what I ahd tried, take the dash apart. So, I let it alone and give him my car.I pick up my car later in the afternoon and drive it around and find that my ratlle is GONE! I purposely look for bumpy roads to verify that it is gone, and it IS! I call him up and tell him that whatever he did, that rattle is gone. He said it was my exhaust. The heat shield above the cat (my details are kinda fuzzy here, but you get the idea) was bent the wrong way for some reason and it was rubbing against some part of the body. So that I sound I thought was coming from the dash was actually coming from below my center console.

So, the moral of this story is, if you've got one of those rattles that you can't quite pinpoint, rememebr to also check your exhaust. I'm glad my mechanic did. I never would have thought of it.

Enjoying my much quieter ride

DW