4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installed Y pipe today.. damn warpspeed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

installed Y pipe today.. damn warpspeed

went down to the ford dealership to have my y pipe installed after getting all new hardware from nissan, bolts and studs for manifolds and cat. i aquired my y pipe on the warpspeed group buy and the damn thin was HITTING the engine brace or supframe under the engine what ever you wanna call it. i was ****ed we had to notch the frame thing with a blow torch. living in mass sucks , every bolt was rusted and would have been near impossible if not for the blow torch and the lift. in also installed a highflow cat from CATCO. as for drving impressions, i can tell the diffrence. sounds about the same and feels about the same. was it worth it. for $160 for the y pipe $120 for the cat and $75 for installation and bolts from nissan. i am really not to sure. i didn't reset the ecu maybe that has something to do with it. keep you guys updated. as for now no rattles that are too bad probally because we did notch the under engine brace. anyone had similar problems with the wapspeed pipe. i have a 99.5 SE-L 5 speed. damn warpspeed. i never got the cheap stuff with my 240 i shouldn't have started now.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:17 PM

don't worry give it a few days... some people get the increase right away but i had to wait a few days then the sucker really kicked in at 3.5k
Old 04-17-2004, 02:28 PM

good luck with that high flow cat.... had the same one, went bad in 6 months... Guess what.. Warpspeed says too bad, you want a new one, send another 120$ ...
Old 04-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Waste of money on that cat dude. Also something tells me you think the power from the y-pipe will be apparent at all rpms. If you do think that, you are wrong. It's not very noticeable at all.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:39 PM

well 15-20 whp is alot i figure i would feel it alot more but oh well may in a coupe days what ****es me off is the freaking Y pipe touching the sub engine brace and the fact that i had to have my friend melt away a little of the engine subbrace to make it clear. the funny thing is there is no increase in sound at all....and luckly i have no rattling or rubbing since i removed all the oem cat brackets and heat shields. next saturday i am going to New england dyno witht he guys from the forum so hopeful i will see an increase in power on the dyno. my but dyno have never been good at picking anything up
Old 04-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Hooooooonda.....

more like 12hp that comes on after 3500rpm ONLY. If it hits the frame it means it was installed incorrectly. They tightened one side without maneuvering it around to get the most clearance.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:31 PM

how much did it cost ya to install?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:05 PM

He said $75.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by zack342
well 15-20 whp is alot i figure i would feel it alot more but oh well may in a coupe days what ****es me off is the freaking Y pipe touching the sub engine brace and the fact that i had to have my friend melt away a little of the engine subbrace to make it clear. the funny thing is there is no increase in sound at all....and luckly i have no rattling or rubbing since i removed all the oem cat brackets and heat shields. next saturday i am going to New england dyno witht he guys from the forum so hopeful i will see an increase in power on the dyno. my but dyno have never been good at picking anything up

Ok for what i know, it is more like a 15-20 HP if you have a cold air or short ram intake. Then you are getting about 15-20 HP. not just Y- pipe by it's self.
As far as high flow cat back, good luck with Smug test, because you won't pass it. I am happy with my stillen Y-pipe. I had it for 8 months and no problem so far. I feel the differnce around 3.5k RPM. I have auto.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Ok for what i know, it is more like a 15-20 HP if you have a cold air or short ram intake. Then you are getting about 15-20 HP. not just Y- pipe by it's self.
As far as high flow cat back, good luck with Smug test, because you won't pass it. I am happy with my stillen Y-pipe. I had it for 8 months and no problem so far. I feel the differnce around 3.5k RPM. I have auto.
it didn't "cost" me $75 i gace my friend 60 dollars because it was PAIN in the A** and the bolts from nissan were $15. if he didn't do it on the lift for me with the blow torch there was NO way the stock bolts were comming off. japanese steel and the New England winters are not good friends. i was there when he installed the pipe helping him and watching to ensure everything went as i have seen on gregs y pipe install. and we TRIED everything before notching the subframe. oh well whatever the pipe is on no rattles for now. live and learn maybe over the summer i will get the cattman pipe like i have orignal planned. My brother had the stillen y pipe on his max i wish he still had it. i will pass smog his did with a highflow cat. i don't even really care i just wish i would notice a diffrence before when the car was bone STOCk it would chirp 1st to 2nd shift now it doesn't? tomorrow i will have my buddy reset the ECU.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:34 PM
wat

Give it a week, trust me. My warpspeed ypipe made a huge difference, and I have just a cone filter (HAI), and im auto. I really felt the difference, I git 90 much quicker on the highway, I guess some cars take more time than others to adjust, really depends on the install. Also, check for leaks. I had a custom catback on before I put my ypipe, the sound went from a very light drone, to a HUGE rumbly exhaust tone. It makes a difference trust me, test it out on the highway in a couple days, im sure you'll notice it. I know I did.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:48 PM

Notching the Subframe.....Dam* man..thats not a good idea. Alot of your engine support comes from that beam.
It was either:

A) installed WAY wrong or
B) they sent you the wrong one for the wrong year !!!!
I wouldnt have done that even to a Tercel
Old 04-18-2004, 07:55 AM

what's done is done. i will try to get under there and take some pics today if someone would be willing to host them?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:17 AM

Don't feel to bad, I paid just under $400 for my cattman y-pipe, shipping to Hawaii sucks. I don't really feel to much of a difference and now my check light is on.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 AM

Did you talk to WSP about the problem? I talked to him and he said there are problems that happen with any exhaust additions, whether his or others, and they are usually resolvable. He encourages people who buy from him to explain the problem, and he often has a solution. I haven't heard of anyone having to notch the subframe at all...I'm sure that's very frustrating!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:08 AM

one day you'll be going down the road and you will hit a bump and your engine will fall out of your car
Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 AM

it didn't "cost" me $75 i gace my friend 60 dollars because it was PAIN in the A** and the bolts from nissan were $15. if he didn't do it on the lift for me with the blow torch there was NO way the stock bolts were comming off. japanese steel and the New England winters are not good friends. i was there when he installed the pipe helping him and watching to ensure everything went as i have seen on gregs y pipe install. and we TRIED everything before notching the subframe. oh well whatever the pipe is on no rattles for now. live and learn maybe over the summer i will get the cattman pipe like i have orignal planned. My brother had the stillen y pipe on his max i wish he still had it. i will pass smog his did with a highflow cat. i don't even really care i just wish i would notice a diffrence before when the car was bone STOCk it would chirp 1st to 2nd shift now it doesn't? tomorrow i will have my buddy reset the ECU.
About the chirping of second, have you checked for KS codes or anything because I couldn't chirp second either until I replaced the KS.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:45 AM

i ended up goin with the stillen y-pipe, and i could tell the difference, i also went with a high flow cat.....well, not really much of a cat if you ask me. but i had no problem with emissions, so you dont really have to worry about that

and if your SEL comes on, then one of your o2 sensors went bad because whoever installed might of accidentally bumped it on something, and yes that will kill a o2 sensor, but the light doesnt come on right away because it sometimes takes your ecu about 50-100 miles to pick it up.
just my .02
Old 04-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I know what you mean about those bolts being rusted! I stripped mine using a 1/2 inch drive air gun with an impact socket! Thank God for my Craftsman bolt out kit! Sucks that your y-pipe hits the subframe. I paid $350 for my y-pipe from Cattman, but the thing fit like a dream! As for power, I already had a Stillen intake, so when I installed the y-pipe and it really helped increase that growl past 3000 rpms. In my final gear, my engine was operating at about 200-300 rpm less than before, so I did get some good gains from it!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:17 PM

z, just wondered about your motor mounts. if they're weak or busted, they'll allow your engine to set lower than it should. check 'em out!!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So Wats A good Catt to buy for the max?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Sports Button FTW

when i got my y-pipe put in, i felt a very noticeable increase in power. Its not like nos or boost but its definitely something that you can feel. Best bang for the buck too. 160 dollars for 15 hp? i dont see anything wrong with that.