4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hydrogen Fuel: Bad or Good news?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hydrogen Fuel: Bad or Good news?

Our fabulous governor here in California recently signed an order that will open up a network of stations that will pump out hydrogen type fuel. I read an article about hydrogen gas and what difference it actually makes... here's what I found from it.

Burning hydrogen creates less air pollution than gasoline or diesel. Hydrogen also has a higher flame speed, wider flammability limits, higher detonation temperature, burns hotter, and takes less energy to ignite than gasoline. This means that hydrogen burns faster, but carries the danger of pre-ignition and flashback. While hydrogen has its advantages as a vehicle fuel it still has a long way to go before it can be used as a substitute for gasoline. This is mainly due to the investment required to develop a hydrogen production and distribution infrastructure.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumeri...iefs/a109.html

There is a lot of technical wording here for those who wish to read through it (im not one of them)

So for my question, would hydrogen based fuel hinder, help, nor not change the performance of cars?
Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Your not going to be using it in the max. It's for use in fuel cell cars, electric that is (as far as I know there aren't any in production yet). Correct me if I'm wrong everybody, but I've never heard of using hydrogen in an internal combustion engine. I think the explosion would be too powerful and therefore uncontrollable.

Edit: No kidding, looks like it can be burned in an engine...news to me. I think fuel cells are still the most likely use, as well as whats being researched right now (by BMW and Honda according to the article).
Old 04-22-2004, 10:12 PM

bump........
Old 04-23-2004, 12:16 AM

cool
Old 04-23-2004, 05:59 AM
maxima no more

my buddy here at school is working on a hydrogen powered ford explorer http://futrcar.me.vt.edu/ . there is a lot of stuff to consider in building these, I think as of now they are still too expensive to build to be practical, but I would guess that in 5 years there will be a major auto company mass producing some variation of a hydrogen powered vehicle. I am guessing that the first production vehicle will be a hybrid hydrogen/electric vehicle, it will use the hydrogen engine as a generator to charge batteries which run electric motors for the wheels.