4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BOSE - no sound from speakers anymore - random

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 02:37 PM

OK, so I am driving home today on my backroad, taking the turns at decent speed, and I go around one and I hear a small click in my cd player (I was listening to a cd)... next, all the sound goes away. I figured the cd skipped. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. I go back a song, NOTHING! I put it on the radio.. NOTHING! What happened? The display is still on, so the unit is working.... did a wiring harness fall off the back of the unit or something?

Now when I turn, there is a tiny clicking noise behind the radio.... like a wire bouncing around or something....

How do I get the radio out to get behind it and check things out?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2001, 05:14 PM

It is an easy job

ok i;m sorry if my directions arent that clear...
First rule about this...DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING..so that you dont break any of the interior pieces.

OK if you have a slushbox...use a screwdriver and remove the plate that surrounds the shifter. Slide it beneath.

If you have a 5 speed you can gently pull out the same plate using your hands.

Both panels are held in by clips

step 2
In the center console, take a thin screwdriver and pop out the vents (this is fairly difficult) i have found that sliding in the screw driver at the top left and top right corners of the vent work wonders. Pull straight out

Step 3. remove the wire harnesses for the blinker and defogger

step 4. Remove the ashtray by removing 1 screw and pull directly out *held in by a clip* and remove wire harness

step 5
unscrew all 4 screws holding in the raido and air systems

You can now see all the wire harnesses. You might have to remove the harnesses from the air control systems to access the radio.

I also believe that the problem would probably be the wire harnesses. Since you have the bose system, there are amplifiers on each of the speakers. Therefore it is highly improbable that all 4 amps were blown at the same time. Chances are the imputs were disconnected from the radio. Another possibility, although more improbable would be that the fuse blow. Since your radio still "works" i doubt it.

I hope this helps. Please repost if you have any problems.

Jon