4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Water Drip - A/C Condensation or ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 04:22 AM

Water Drip - A/C Condensation or ????

Recently purcahsed a 96 Infinity I30. Auto, Climate Control, etc. After driving awhile yesterday I noticed a “significant” amount of what appears to be water (does not appear to be antifreeze) is dripping on the right side of the engine and ends up dripping off a bolt near the oil filter. Rust is forming on the metal parts that come in contact with the (water?) before it makes its way to the ground.

I realize that the A/C reduces humidity, which causes some water to drip to the ground, but I have never seen this much water. I guesstimate that at least ˝ cup of water dripped to the ground after I got home last night. More than enough water to soak two sections of the newspaper.

Is this unusual? Also, assuming this is simply water, shouldn’t there be some type of drain hose that allowed it to drip directly to the ground without contacting the metal parts of the engine/frame/suspension?

TIA

Bill
Old 04-24-2004, 11:22 AM

My 95 Maxima has the same drip, which I noticed today (have only owned the car 3 days) while I was searching for the oil filter. I imagine this is normal but I will check back later to see what more knowledgeable members have to say!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by David N.
My 95 Maxima has the same drip, which I noticed today (have only owned the car 3 days) while I was searching for the oil filter. I imagine this is normal but I will check back later to see what more knowledgeable members have to say!
I also have a 96 Max but the "drippage" has never been nowhere near that of the I30. Earlier in the day (yesterday) the "drippage" created a trail of (water?) probably 20 + ft from where the car was. I was certain I had a major leak of some type, but all fluids appeared to be at the normal level. Maybe it has something to do with the standard climate control vs the automatic climate control???

By the way, and in case you are not already aware, it is real easy to get to the oil filter and drain plug by turning the wheel to the right and partially remove the plastic piece in the wheel well. There are two or three fasteners to undo and one bolt toward the front.

Bill
Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Auto Climate control runs the AC compressor when the outside temp is over freezing. The AC evaperator dehumidifies the incoming air. The humidity is turned into water which drains out the car via a drain tube just above the sub frame. It's perfectly normal to see a good amount of water drip from your car on a humid day. A 1/2 cup isn't abnormal after your car is shut off.

As far as rust goes, don't worry about your subframe, it gets wet every time it rains as well.

If you don't want the AC on, turn the system off or use the ECON mode.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:26 PM

Yep totally normal. And yeah, max drips from the right (passenger) side of the engine bay.

When you start seing dark liquid dripping from the driver side, then take a look. lol balsa wood main seal
Old 04-25-2004, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Auto Climate control runs the AC compressor when the outside temp is over freezing. The AC evaperator dehumidifies the incoming air. The humidity is turned into water which drains out the car via a drain tube just above the sub frame. It's perfectly normal to see a good amount of water drip from your car on a humid day. A 1/2 cup isn't abnormal after your car is shut off.

As far as rust goes, don't worry about your subframe, it gets wet every time it rains as well.

If you don't want the AC on, turn the system off or use the ECON mode.
Thanks for the reply and info. Still find it strange they would (intentionally?) place a drain hose over the frame where most of the water ends up dripping off of a bolt under the frame. But, I will get over it

Thanks again.