4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Used Car, Having Problems, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Used Car, Having Problems, PLEASE HELP

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
I bought a 99 Maxima SE late last summer and have had problems with it ever since. Taking the car to autozone error codes of knock sensor circuit malfunction, and cylinder 6 misfire continually show up. I brought the car to nissan after changing the spark plugs with ngk platinum plugs. They charged me an arm and a leg to replace two ignition coils that they said were bad. The car ran half way decent for 10 minutes and started running like crap again. Symptoms are that when the car is in gear i can feel the engine vibrating really bad, but this goes away when i put it into neutral. I never seem to have any power at all which upset me since this is my first max. I have read threads that talk about replacing my knock sensor, but the dealer insists that i would be wasting my time becuase he said the knock sensor only matters if i am using cheap gasoline( i always use the 93 octane) i am inclined to do this anyway although i am reluctant becuase i dont have small hands. Apparently before i bought the car someone disconnected the CEL because it NEVER comes on even when i start the car. Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms? Thank you for your help
Old 04-24-2004, 12:17 PM

99s have a problem with the coil packs. Which coil packs did the stealership replace? My suggestion is to find someone local to you (http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42) and see if they'll let you swap the other coil packs for a minute to see which one is causing the problem.

If the knock sensor is bad, you'll lose some power and you'll probably get bad gas mileage, but I don't think it would make the car shake. You can read more about the KS in the FAQs at the top of the forum (post 40 something). If your car is still misfiring (another bad coil pack) then it would cause the car to shake.

The cylinder misfire probably set off the knock sensor code. Check the gap on your plugs. They should be at .044"

Put your key in and turn on the car (don't start it) and the lights on the gauge cluster should light up. Some of them will go away, but some will stay. On my 95, the CEL stays on.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 PM

I have similar problems. Read my post on the next page or so. I think its the coil packs also but can confrim it. I also had one of the ignition coils changed but that didnt cure the problem. I am going to test the coils, one by one sometime this week when I get time. You should do the same instead of paying the money.

Can someone direct us how to test our coil packs? I know its simple, like you switch them and try to poinpoint a change in the idle. Can someone further explain?
Old 04-24-2004, 02:49 PM

Coil Packs

Y'All need to suck it up and replace all of your coils. That is the only way you will acheive satisfaction. There are numerous threads that will guide that way, but, having first hand experience, I assure you that if you check stored codes you wil most probably find "Multiple Cylinder Misfire", a dead give away (Autozone will not necessarily read this as it wont be current with a CEL light on).
JS
Old 04-24-2004, 03:25 PM

I am willing to spend the money on new coil packs, but there are posts as to where to get them the cheapest, and when i go to them they dont seem to have the coil packs for a 99, just earlier 4th gen. I got 2 and 4 replaced already from the stealership, and am not inclined to pay them to do the other 4 packs, i see some listed on sights as right and left packs but i am under the impression that i need to replace the three coils in the back (cylinders 1,3,5) (back=closer to the windshield) I have never seen a CEL on in the car so i am assuming someone in the past disconnected it as LED's are not known to burn out that fast right? Does anyone know how much a pain it is to reconnect? someone advised me that i would have to disconnect airbags and take the whole dash apart. Thank you all for your advice so far, it has been pretty stressful experience becuase i thought i was buying a sweet car. (i had a few mazda 626's before this, and was happy at the idea of moving up in the world) by the way does anyone think that the i30t is THAT much better than a max? i passed up a 97 white i30t with 70,000 miles for 5k in order to buy my 99 max... the only thing i regret is my max doesnt have leather and doesnt have the climate control.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
Taking the car to autozone error codes of knock sensor circuit malfunction, and cylinder 6 misfire continually show up.
And then this happens...

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
I got 2 and 4 replaced already from the stealership, .
I think I see your problem. Your first post indicated you had a #6 misfire code stored. Why did the dealership replace #2 & #4?

I bet your #6 is still bad which is causing your vibrations under load and poor performance.

Change #6 yourself and I have a feeling your troubles will be over.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:24 AM

i found the service receipt for when i got the #2 and #4 coils replaced. the part #they billed me for was 22448-31U06 which looks like the Left, Hanshin type plugs jrnissan has, which are better these or the mitsubishi type? i need to replace the ones in the back so these are the "right" ones that i need to replace? those #()*$$)(*#$ at the stealership charged me $270 to replace these two coils!!! i could have replaced 5 for that price!!!!! arrrg.. i wish i knew more about fixing cars, and advice other than spending my days reading these posts??? i consider myself pretty sharp, but im afraid of breaking stuff!