4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I sell my MAX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:20 PM
vsamoylov

Should I sell my MAX?

I am wondering if I should sell my MAXIMA? I did alot of work with my brother to this car but I want something more sproty. What are your opinions?

Mods to Date
Brand New Paint job Color is dark burgundy/dark cherry
Clear Corners
2k2 Nissan Maxima Rims
OEM spoiler
Shaved Trunk with keyhole removed
H&R Springs
2k Maxima Struts
2k2 Nissan Maxima Brake Rotors and Calipers
Full Infintiti I30 Interior Swap Including dashboard,side panels, rear seats with headrests, and Infiniti Logo carpets
JVC Double Din cd player with cassete
Alpine Speakers
Auto Dimming Mirror
AE Headlights
Proffessional Engine Swap. Engine is a Nissan Maxima 2000 Engine with only 15,000 miles

Mileage on the body is 102,500
Mileage on the engine is 15,000

Sell or keep and what do you think it is worth?

Old 04-25-2004, 09:22 PM

keep :P Only way i'd tell you to sell is if your getting a G35C/350Z/Skyline... I remember some guy here sold his maxima for a integra gsr or something and said he missed his maxima after a few weeks.. lol
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

agree with sober, and why would you choose to be burgundy?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:10 PM

keep the max till the engine dies. I cannot bear to let go of mine and you have a 2k engine man urs is a rare kind. keep it.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:38 PM
V^___^V

wtf man... you just spent hours doing the 2k swap and now u wanna sell it?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude let me tell you, i got a 98.5 se right after my vr6 died. I loved my max and then it was stolen within the 15 min it took me to clean up after class. I havent had a car since October and finally i got me another one just like it in black. I think that the best 4 door is the max. Think of it this way... if you have a V8 american monster you will get pulled over all the time for stupid stuff. Hondas are just loud things that in the event of an accident, chances for surival for you and the car are limited. What a WRX or something like that, same thing with the cops. When i drive my boys WRX cops grill me all the time and even follow for a chance to give me a ticket for something. The max is a nice looking car and handles well for a sedan and most people on the road underestimate it. So keep her for a little while longer and then make a choice cause like me you too will miss her. Just some advise.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:48 AM
vsamoylov

the only car that i would buy if i sold my max is a 91 or 92 bmw m3 or a 97 m3 or maybe get me a wrx. I am just tired of having to drive people around. and the reason i choose the color i have is cause it looks really sick in the day and at night, it looks darker than black. and it is called brickyard, not burgundy. I might as well then buy the stillen kit I was looking at for my max. thanks for the opinions.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:58 AM

subaru's are ugly
Old 04-26-2004, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
the only car that i would buy if i sold my max is a 91 or 92 bmw m3 or a 97 m3 or maybe get me a wrx. I am just tired of having to drive people around. and the reason i choose the color i have is cause it looks really sick in the day and at night, it looks darker than black. and it is called brickyard, not burgundy. I might as well then buy the stillen kit I was looking at for my max. thanks for the opinions.
There's a big difference between a 91/92 M3 and a 97 M3 btw. The WRX is also in a different league. I suggest you hold onto the Maxima until you can decide on which car you really want.

LEMAR
Old 04-26-2004, 06:48 AM

First off, they didn't make an M3 in 1992... The 97 M3 and the Max are at 2 different sides of the spectrum. The Max is a spacious, comfortable ride and is quick for its size. The M3 is one of the best handling cars you'll experience but its tight inside and is all-around not a comfortable ride on bumpy city streets. It *IS* a monster @ highway speeds, tho!

Also, one other thing - cost of ownership of the M3 will be ALOT more than your max.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Keep it. Tough to find buyers for 100k+ mile car.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:19 AM

Keep it!
You have done too much to it to just get rid of it now.
Don't let go of that beautiful thing.
No go on the Subaru. A friend of mine has the WRX, and it rides like c.r.a.p. Plus, it is just not built as well as the max. You can tell.
Aren't you running pretty good times with the VQ03DE-T in there anyway?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 PM

Depends on what you want. Think about why you got the maxima. The maxima is a car like the v6 camrys and accords. Grocery getter with a little more pep. Roomy, comfortable and reliable. But if you want a performance vehicle, the max isn't it. It'll never compete with the corvettes, vipers, supras, and real sports/muscle cars. I'm switching over too. When I'd got my maxima, I just wanted something reliable and wasn't a slug. But after being on the forum, and seeing all the stuff about performance, I've gotten into it. I know pretty well how to work on my own cars now, and I don't need to worry about reliability so much. I want something fast. I wouldn't bother with a g35/350z. It's ok, quick and reliable, but it's still just a NA V6, and potential is limited without going FI, which sacrifices some of the reliablility/lower maintenaince which is the reason for buying the car in the first place. Spend 30k on a car that's not as fast, but more reliable/better quality than say, an ls1 camaro that cost half as much. That's fine, it's not as fast, but reliablity/quality is much better. If that's how you're going to leave it, it's still a good deal. But then stick on a turbo to make it as fast, and now you'd have a 35k car that's just as fast as the 15k ls1, and the same unreliabilty. That doesn't make any sense to me. Why not just start with the 15k car, instead of buying a 30k car and adding another 5k in parts to make it approximately the same as the 15k car? (in terms of reliabilty/performance) I'd thought about supercharging the maxima instead of switching cars, but by the same logic, I decided against it. You got to decide what's going to matter in a car for you before you buy it, and stick with it. I wouldn't want to buy another car only to get fed up with how limited it's potential is. So no compromises. Big displacement or turbo is the only way to go fast (W/O No2), and that's what I'll get. And no more FWD. I'm not going to waste my time and money on a N/A 6, trying to make it fast, against it's originally designed intent. Unless that's the sort of thing you're into, making a car unconventionally fast, just for fun. Then good for you. But I just want something fast, cheap, looks good, and as long as it's not extremely, extremely, unreliable, then it's good. I'm in the market right now, cash in hand, just waiting for the right car to pop up. If you stick with the maxima, good for you. And if the only reason you're selling the max is that you don't want to drive people around, why don't you just say no when they ask, and keep the car? You lose money on pretty much any sale, especially on a modded car. Yours is heavily modded. Resale will vary. It's going to depend on if you can find the right buyer.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM
vsamoylov

My max right now gives me everything I want but I want a stick so bad that I am willing to sell unless I find a 2k-2k1 manual tranny. How much is a 2k-2k1 5 speed tranny?

Old 04-26-2004, 04:39 PM

I think the swap would cost ~$2000-$2500 w/ labor....
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 PM

just sell it
Old 04-26-2004, 07:13 PM
BOSS

Sell it. Yes, the mods are nice, but hey, if you have the money you should always climb your way up, provided that you are a car enthusiast. Why drive a Maxima when one can drive say a 540 (just an example). my .02

Old 04-26-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
There's a big difference between a 91/92 M3 and a 97 M3 btw. The WRX is also in a different league. I suggest you hold onto the Maxima until you can decide on which car you really want.

LEMAR
How much would there be in proceeds from the sale of a 96 maxima? 3 to 4 grand tops? So I don't understand the question. A 97 M3 costs around $1500 just to get 4 brakes done, pads and rotors. The reality of a BMW is that to use a cliché, if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

It's really bizarre to see people knock the WRX, how is it not a superior car to the Maxima in every possible performance category (I'm talking about the STi)? The Maxima is a very decent car, especially when you look at how many people were simply given the car from their parents. Keep it forever until it breaks--that could be a very long time, most likely through high school and all of college. But that in no way diminishes the qualities of other cars just because they're hated, namely RS-X Type S, TL, and WRX.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:05 PM
vsamoylov

i decided to keep the car for now cause i just ordered my stillen kit. just hope it wont break on me due to my driving.lol.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

People can hate on the WRX, RSX all they want but they are good cars. Im not a fan of hondas but you have to give respect when its deserved. They just dont break down. As for the WRX, i only drive the 04 and its a really nice car. It handles very well and its quick as hell and not just for a 4 door. So far it has one recall for the cruise control. Other then that its a good car to have, plus how many times have you gotten stuck in the snow? That wont happen with the WRX... Its just pricy though.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:55 AM
vsamoylov

yeah, that is foe the east coast. here on the west, snow is nt a problem for me only hot weather so that is why i am getting my car tinted. i am tired of seating in a oven after school.lol

Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 AM

I want something a little more sporty to but I'm still keeping my max and moding it I'm just gunna take out a loan on a twin turbo z
Old 04-27-2004, 07:10 AM

actually my max has held up damn well in the snow (only car that didn't get stuck in ~1.5' of snow at a buddies house, 92/95 accords, both stuck, 99 dakota rwd, stuck, 92 cavalier stuck)

You just have to realize you will never get the money back out that you have put in, but it just depends on what is worth to you. As for the 5speed, well I would never buy anything else, and honestly you shouldn't either. I'll sacrifice on color, mileage, and even a rough running engine, but I will not buy a ****omatic.

Also, it might be cheaper to do a tranny swap than to sell your car and get a nicer once. Say you would only get $5k for your max, and tranny swap would cost $2.5k, total you could have had towards a different car is $7.5k, and well that isn't going to go far to buy you an m3 or wrx. New/expensive cars just aren't worth the cash. Not to mention the huge hike in your insurance, etc.

Just make sure you think it through, before my maxima I owned a 1990 300ZX, and having had a true sports car, I can honestly say I prefer my maxima (though I really didn't the day I sold my Z, I almost cried lol). I got $6500 for my Z in moderate condition, bought a max for $4500, mint condition, and pocketed the difference. Best decision I have ever made. Now I have a daily driver that won't break on my constantly, is much cheaper to maintain, and gets better gas mileage. Max's are really great cars, so be damn sure you want to sell it before you do.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
How much would there be in proceeds from the sale of a 96 maxima? 3 to 4 grand tops? So I don't understand the question. A 97 M3 costs around $1500 just to get 4 brakes done, pads and rotors. The reality of a BMW is that to use a cliché, if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

It's really bizarre to see people knock the WRX, how is it not a superior car to the Maxima in every possible performance category (I'm talking about the STi)? The Maxima is a very decent car, especially when you look at how many people were simply given the car from their parents. Keep it forever until it breaks--that could be a very long time, most likely through high school and all of college. But that in no way diminishes the qualities of other cars just because they're hated, namely RS-X Type S, TL, and WRX.
In comparison of performance of the WRX and the Maxima, the WRX wins in every category...you are right. All I was saying is that if you have ever ridden in a Subaru (of any kind), you know that their quality is not near as high as Nissan, or Honda for that matter. That's all. I would rather own a Golf 1.8t than a WRX. My brother has one that can smoke my friend's WRX with just a chip and good tires. That is all he has done to it.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:41 AM

You will never get all your money out of the max if you sell it right now. At least wait until your paint is in not so good shape and enjoy it a little more while you have it mint.

I can agree with you wanting a 5spd though. I would want the same....oh wait....I have a 5spd.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:59 PM
vsamoylov

damn you for saying that.lol so i am thinking about doing a 2k-2k1 tranny swap soon.