4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is my drop resistor going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 04:47 PM
DrX

Is my drop resistor going bad?

I posted before about transmission problems, and, nick I think it was, posted a link to a thread of his about his drop resistor going bad and causing hard shifts and such. Well, my problem is real intermittent. The other night it started acting up again out of nowhere, but I stopped at a gas station, got coffee, and when I started the car up again and left it was fine. This makes me think its not something mechanically going bad with the transmission.

So, anyway, I pulled the drop resistor off and tested it and it read 12.4 ohms which I believe is just fine. Is it possible that it is just starting to go bad and would still read alright but intermittently give problems?

What I plan on doing is next time it starts acting up, I'm going to unplug the resistor to see if it goes away. Do you guys think this could isolate the problem?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-26-2004 | 05:04 PM
Banned

ummm.
so basically:
it randomly has a hard shift at random shift points at random times of the day with no corralation to anything and no simliar circustances around anything?

how may times a day? basically how frequent is it? does it happen on all shifts and does it last for only one shift or are all shifts hard when its acting up?

both upshifting and downshifting? or only up?

how many miles on your tranmission?

check your tranny fluid ever? what color is it? do you have enough?

when did you last flush your tranny and change the filter in the vb(if ever)?

check your tranmission lines from and to the cooler.

does it happen after your driving for a while? does shutting the car off always fix it?

answers answers answers!!!

good luck!
Old 04-26-2004 | 05:20 PM
DrX

Transmission has 132k on it. Probably flushed last around 30k miles ago (I don't have the records here in front of me. Fluid level is fine, it's red. It happens completely randomly. Not that often, only a few times in the past few weeks. When the car was cold and warmed up. It will start when the car does the 1-2 shift, and it will slam in real hard, shake the whole car. After that, all upshifts will be hard and abrupt. Once in third or so, the car will refuse to downshift no matter how much throttle I give it. The one time I left the car over night, and it was still there in the morning, but after I turned it off and on again not 15 minutes later it was fine. The other time I just turned it off and on at the gas station and it was fine.

That help?
Old 04-26-2004 | 05:36 PM

wow i have the same problems as do many other orgers...maybe this drop resistor mod is not that good at all
Old 04-26-2004 | 06:16 PM
Banned

Maximum96- the dropping resistor mod is different from this problem. also it shouldn't be done unless at the track or with a built tranny+cooler.

DrX: that is damn strange. you could try replacing the dropping resistor. other then that call up a nissan stealership and ask a tech. good luck. i was hopeing it was something simple...on a side note i too have an autotragik and have had the same problem of not being able to shift out of 3rd, however when this happened i couldn't rev above 3k either. anyways good luck man.
Old 04-26-2004 | 06:52 PM

i was just saying alot of people who did the drop resistor has this problem occassionaly
Old 04-26-2004 | 07:05 PM
Banned

really 1st i'v heard.

what did they do to fix it?
if so common why not more replys in this thread.
what do you suggest?
Old 04-26-2004 | 07:15 PM

i've never heard of anyone having problems like that with the dr mod.. if it happens randomly then their WOT switch setup sucks or something. i love my drop res mod!
Old 04-26-2004 | 08:53 PM
DrX

Originally Posted by Torgus
Maximum96- the dropping resistor mod is different from this problem. also it shouldn't be done unless at the track or with a built tranny+cooler.

DrX: that is damn strange. you could try replacing the dropping resistor. other then that call up a nissan stealership and ask a tech. good luck. i was hopeing it was something simple...on a side note i too have an autotragik and have had the same problem of not being able to shift out of 3rd, however when this happened i couldn't rev above 3k either. anyways good luck man.
I never really thought about it but I guess mine wouldn't rev much above 3k either. The other big thing I noticed was the lack of "engine braking" I guess you could call it. No matter the speed, whenever I'd let off the gas the revs would drop all the way to idle, like it was in neutral. Did you notice this also?
Old 04-27-2004 | 06:50 AM
Banned

yes my revs would drop extremly low also. i worried it would stall. all i did was turn my car off and back on and it never did it again.

someone once said something about a protect mode?

sorry i can' be of more help.

as i said above try the stealership...=[
Old 04-27-2004 | 11:27 AM

there is a failsafe mode when your transmission gets overheated. that happened to me once in the snow from spinning tire and i noticed i had no kickdown (auto) and a lack of power. i let the car sit for a couple minutes, went and started it up and took it for a spin. back to normal.
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:22 PM
DrX

Hmm...not really sure if it was a failsafe thing because it has happened when the car was cold. Who knows, its working fine now. I'm just going to hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 04-27-2004 | 05:53 PM
Banned

possible the sensor kicks in to safe mode because of pressure not temp? happened to me right after i started her up and floored her around a turn and onto a street. my car was cold and i have a 404 tranny cooler....i don't see how heat could have effected it...maybe mine is unrelated this only happened after my vb mod btw.

if it's pressure related it is possible to have bent lines or a clogged stock tranny cooler.