4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gotta problem, check engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 08:14 PM
Dan99SE

My car's check engine light is coming on every so often. I've had it to the dealer twice and they dont know what it is. Sometimes when I start my car it feels like its not running on all cylinders. The motor is just puttering. Then the check engine light comes on, and I start to smell a very strong sulfer smell, like there is something burning. If I keep driving, it goes away after 10 minutes. But, the check engine light stays on. Actually, since the last time I had it at the dealer, when it starts running bad the check engine light just flashes on and off. It doesn't stay on now. It started running bad already when I'm just driving down the road, it doesn't need to be on start up. The first dealer said that the code showed that a wire to the ECU was loose, so they tightened it. That obviously wasn't the problem. So, I took it to another dealer and they didn't tell me much of anything. They said they thought it might have been my K&N filter. I had the filter in for months before this happened. All they basically did was turn off the light. I guess I'm gonna have to take it back to the first dealer. I dont think its gonna be much help. Have any of you had this problem. Have you ever heard of this before. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is really getting on my nerves.

Thanks Again,

Old 03-22-2001, 08:23 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It prolly has nothing to do with the filter. What kind do you have by the way. Is the car still under warraty?
Old 03-22-2001, 08:50 PM

Pull the codes

Originally posted by Dan99SE
My car's check engine light is coming on every so often. I've had it to the dealer twice and they dont know what it is. Sometimes when I start my car it feels like its not running on all cylinders. The motor is just puttering. Then the check engine light comes on, and I start to smell a very strong sulfer smell, like there is something burning. If I keep driving, it goes away after 10 minutes. But, the check engine light stays on. Actually, since the last time I had it at the dealer, when it starts running bad the check engine light just flashes on and off. It doesn't stay on now. It started running bad already when I'm just driving down the road, it doesn't need to be on start up. The first dealer said that the code showed that a wire to the ECU was loose, so they tightened it. That obviously wasn't the problem. So, I took it to another dealer and they didn't tell me much of anything. They said they thought it might have been my K&N filter. I had the filter in for months before this happened. All they basically did was turn off the light. I guess I'm gonna have to take it back to the first dealer. I dont think its gonna be much help. Have any of you had this problem. Have you ever heard of this before. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is really getting on my nerves.

Thanks Again,
Even if the Check Engine Light is off, the Engine Control Unit may have stored some Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

Read the codes and post your findings here.
Old 03-24-2001, 09:19 AM
Dan99SE

Re: Pull the codes

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Even if the Check Engine Light is off, the Engine Control Unit may have stored some Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

Read the codes and post your findings here.

Thanks Daniel, I'll give that a try.