4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does intake and catback increase gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:38 AM

does intake and catback increase gas mileage?

i just installed a BOMZ short ram intake and a obx catback exhaust....would i be gettin better gas mileage??? im using the horrible filter that the BOMZ intake came with....what would a K&N actually do thats better than the BOMZ? better gas mileage and power?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:43 AM

It should increase it alittle bit, I can't tell you how much, it all depends on how restrictive everything is now...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JLiusifer
i just installed a BOMZ short ram intake and a obx catback exhaust....would i be gettin better gas mileage??? im using the horrible filter that the BOMZ intake came with....what would a K&N actually do thats better than the BOMZ? better gas mileage and power?
You probably would get get better gas mileage, if you continued to drive the sames as before. You will end up getting worse mileage because now you like to put your right foot down and listen to that beautiful music your car is making.

By the way how is that obx system? How does it sound? There is one on ebay that I am thinking about getting.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Sittin' On Chrome

im using the horrible filter that the BOMZ intake came with....what would a K&N actually do thats better than the BOMZ? better gas mileage and power?
the K&N wont break apart and get sucked into your intake manifold like the other crap.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:36 PM

At first I noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage with my Bomz short ram intake but that's because I was enjoying the sound. After a week or two when my driving habits went back to normal I noticed an increase of maybe 10 miles/tank on average. I had a slightly bigger increase when I got my y-pipe, maybe 20/tank. I just got my catback on last week, in the one tank I've burned so far I'm seeing an increase but I'll have to wait and see if there really is a difference. Mine is a greddy SP2, which is 2.5" piping (IIRC the obx is 2.25"), so that might be part of the reason for the increase. My mileage varies a lot from week to week though between city and highway, so I can only really say for sure that there was a difference with the intake and y-pipe.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM

OBX EXHAUST

Yeah...I know this is an old thread....I know how some peeps complain about new threads on an old topic.

Anyway,

I just finished my exhaust project and I like the way this catback sounds when you get on it I only have the catback and , to me, it sounds pretty decent for a $320 setup. It has enough throatyness with the silencer in for me. Mainly needed something fast and glad I replaced it because the stock was broke right before the muffler and had another leak between the cat an resonator.

Only took about 4.5 hours with the rusty stock parts.

Just wondering, will I see any improvement in the following: mileage or power?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
Yeah...I know this is an old thread....I know how some peeps complain about new threads on an old topic.

Anyway,

I just finished my exhaust project and I like the way this catback sounds when you get on it I only have the catback and , to me, it sounds pretty decent for a $320 setup. It has enough throatyness with the silencer in for me. Mainly needed something fast and glad I replaced it because the stock was broke right before the muffler and had another leak between the cat an resonator.

Possibly...
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post7252048
Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Very minimal gain if you keep your foot off the gas.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you will get a little better power due to your car will run a bit leaner with more air
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM

i noticed that my milage went down with a injen intake.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
I need a truck

An "increase in HP" will cause more gas to be consumed thus decreasing your gas mileage.

But chances are since the gains are so minimal with an intake and catback, your driving habits will be more of a determinate of gas mileage.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM

EPA estimates were 21/27 mpg. Dont expect anythin better. If u want a gas saver then get a sentra lol
Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 PM

It depends on your driving style
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
EPA estimates were 21/27 mpg. Dont expect anythin better. If u want a gas saver then get a sentra lol
Since when were EPA estimates so accurate? They're ESTIMATES. I've gotten 30+mpg multiple times in Manhattan, it doesn't matter that I stay in neutral and I'm usually going downhill most of the time, all that matters is the final result.

Back at the topic at hand...

Your gains will be very minimal with the mods you brought. Only thing those parts do is add more sound than anything else (which isn't bad, don't get me wrong). I wouldn't be expecting more than 1mpg, honestly you've maybe added what, like 5hp? Now if you got a Y-pipe... those are some ponies/mpgs right there... You just gotta be gentle with your right foot, cause the sound is addicting.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Since when were EPA estimates so accurate? They're ESTIMATES. I've gotten 30+mpg multiple times in Manhattan, it doesn't matter that I stay in neutral and I'm usually going downhill most of the time, all that matters is the final result.

Back at the topic at hand...

Your gains will be very minimal with the mods you brought. Only thing those parts do is add more sound than anything else (which isn't bad, don't get me wrong). I wouldn't be expecting more than 1mpg, honestly you've maybe added what, like 5hp? Now if you got a Y-pipe... those are some ponies/mpgs right there... You just gotta be gentle with your right foot, cause the sound is addicting.
So far, in the past couple of days with the new catback, I feel a little better throttle response than the stock. I mainly need the new system because the stock exhaust was garbage. I definitely notice a little throat to the car now.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM

So far, in the past couple of days with the new catback, I feel a little better throttle response than the stock. I mainly need the new system because the stock exhaust was garbage. I definitely notice a little throat to the car now.
Garbage as in rusted? Damaged? AFAIK the intake and cat back on our cars aren't the real restrictions... Either way, good job w/ the mod then, if you're happy then it's money well spent.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Garbage as in rusted? Damaged? AFAIK the intake and cat back on our cars aren't the real restrictions... Either way, good job w/ the mod then, if you're happy then it's money well spent.
Yeah rusted. I was happy with the stock exhaust performance wise, but figured since I needed to replace it, I decided to go aftermarket to try it out. I like the decision so far....OBX exhaust system is made from 304 stainless and the tube wall was much thicker than the stock piping and the install portion was easy as cake......UMMMMMMM...cake
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM

Anyway,

sweet jebus!! how about instead of bumping a 5 YEAR OLD THREAD to tell us you just installed the parts mentioned in the thread then ask what the result in performance would be. GO OUT AND GATHER DATA then come back and bump a 5 YEAR OLD THREAD saying "yes or no" to the original question based on your data.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
sweet jebus!! how about instead of bumping a 5 YEAR OLD THREAD to tell us you just installed the parts mentioned in the thread then ask what the result in performance would be. GO OUT AND GATHER DATA then come back and bump a 5 YEAR OLD THREAD saying "yes or no" to the original question based on your data.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Sorry I am not as great as you master of the forum.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 PM

K&N filters are garbage. They don't filter well for the first part of their duty cycle, then they end up filtering worse than the paper filter.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Sorry I am not as great as you master of the forum.
i wont make excuses for your lack of forethought. say what you will about me.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM

i wont make excuses for your lack of forethought. say what you will about me.
I am not trying to **** you off, but I wanted to find out if any other orgers were noticing any improvements....it is just a simple YES or NO or NO CHANGE......that's all I get so sick seeing the responses like: "search more" or cut and paste a link....if someone doesn't have any YES, NO, or NO CHANGE type of answer........then don't answer....it is that simple.

I can be a jerk like that too....but I choose not to....if I think I can help....I will....simple as that.

Yes...I may have a lack of forethought, but if someone has done the research already...then it doesn't make sense to do it again....I like effective answers, not "do a search" answers.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 AM

I am not trying to **** you off, but I wanted to find out if any other orgers were noticing any improvements....it is just a simple YES or NO or NO CHANGE......that's all I get so sick seeing the responses like: "search more" or cut and paste a link....if someone doesn't have any YES, NO, or NO CHANGE type of answer........then don't answer....it is that simple.

I can be a jerk like that too....but I choose not to....if I think I can help....I will....simple as that.

Yes...I may have a lack of forethought, but if someone has done the research already...then it doesn't make sense to do it again....I like effective answers, not "do a search" answers.
you just validated my point. YOU are now in a position to give test data to answer the original question. since no one else has done the research.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

why would u ask us if ur already installed the intake lol. obvi the k&n will be better than bomz
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM

:metalmax:
Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM

OBX CATBACK EXAUST MPG,POWER, and EXHAUST NOTE UPDATE

I have been running my OBX r-type exhaust (my max has 174k+ on it and regular maintence...oil, plugs, air filter, etc... is done religiously) now for about a month and 3000 miles and here are some of the results I have been getting so far:

City: 19-21: Slightly lower than stock.....has a lot to do with me getting on the gas a little more too. Probably get about the same if I take it easy.

Highway: 70-73 mph: I have been averaging about the same..25-28 mpg
55-60 mph: I have been getting closer to 30mpg!!!!

Power difference: I have not dynoed, but I do notice a slight increase in acceleration to highway speeds....nothing scientific, but I definitely notice a difference.

No other changes have been done to the exhaust, only the catback. I did NOT remove the silencer either.

Sound Note: Compared to the stock note, I have a much lower note at around 2000 rpm and the exhaust just roars at WOT near 6000 rpm. (yes, even with the silencer in!!!) At about 55-60 mph, there is a little drone from the exhaust because of the cruising rpms at about 2500 rpm. At 70-73, there is hardly any exhaust noise within the car.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase and my install job. For about half the price of a stock replacement....I would recommend the exhaust for anyone on a budget. It only cost me about $380 with shipping.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mr.droppednfresh
why would u ask us if ur already installed the intake lol. obvi the k&n will be better than bomz
the noobie thread is back a few threads, perhaps you missed it.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM

I have been running my OBX r-type exhaust (my max has 174k+ on it and regular maintence...oil, plugs, air filter, etc... is done religiously) now for about a month and 3000 miles and here are some of the results I have been getting so far:

City: 19-21: Slightly lower than stock.....has a lot to do with me getting on the gas a little more too. Probably get about the same if I take it easy.

Highway: 70-73 mph: I have been averaging about the same..25-28 mpg
55-60 mph: I have been getting closer to 30mpg!!!!

Power difference: I have not dynoed, but I do notice a slight increase in acceleration to highway speeds....nothing scientific, but I definitely notice a difference.

No other changes have been done to the exhaust, only the catback. I did NOT remove the silencer either.

Sound Note: Compared to the stock note, I have a much lower note at around 2000 rpm and the exhaust just roars at WOT near 6000 rpm. (yes, even with the silencer in!!!) At about 55-60 mph, there is a little drone from the exhaust because of the cruising rpms at about 2500 rpm. At 70-73, there is hardly any exhaust noise within the car.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase and my install job. For about half the price of a stock replacement....I would recommend the exhaust for anyone on a budget. It only cost me about $380 with shipping.
are you running a y-pipe?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM

SO did u get the stainless steel catback?

I replaced the muffler and resonator on my car and notice greater reponse atfter 5000 rpm...the car redilines a lot easier and seems less stressful on the engine.

Next mod may be the y-pipe hehe
Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
SO did u get the stainless steel catback?

I replaced the muffler and resonator on my car and notice greater reponse atfter 5000 rpm...the car redilines a lot easier and seems less stressful on the engine.

Next mod may be the y-pipe hehe
Yes, it is 304SS and I notice the car does get to redline quicker too. I hear you on the y-pipe.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM

are you running a y-pipe?
What part of "No other changes have been done to the exhaust, only the catback. I did NOT remove the silencer either" is so hard to understand.....I am glad I put you on my ignore list.....you only read half of what anyone writes anyway.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM

What part of "No other changes have been done to the exhaust, only the catback. I did NOT remove the silencer either" is so hard to understand.....I am glad I put you on my ignore list.....you only read half of what anyone writes anyway.
OMG!!! i made your ignore list!! well dip my ***** in buttermilk and call me sandy!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
i has college

This is a great thread.

Seriously, let it die. Both of you.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
This is a great thread.

Seriously, let it die. Both of you.
Honestly I would like them to lock this one now because there really isn't any need for the thread to continue on this topic from my standpoint.

There was no data on the topic before and now there is.....sooooo, NOW THE MODERATORS CAN LOCK IT.