4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Taking opinions and suggestions on these mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:01 AM

Taking opinions and suggestions on these mods

Here are some things I'd like you guys' opinions on if you don't mind. I'm looking to start modding (i use that term very loosely mind you) and I'm not ready to just jump right in w/ out knowin the deal ya know. So here are a few of them:
1) I wanna get the Black Chrome DC bumper lights like those on custommaxima.com but I'm unsure about the quality and fitment of those offered on cusmax. Are there other places that have better quality ones or are those on cusmax already good quality? Any probs w/ fitment? If so, what? Any maintenance procedures to keep in mind, like sealing them w/ a silicone sealant or anything like that? (I read somewhere that this helps w/ reducing condensation buildup or something to that affect). Anything else I should know?
2) It's about time for me to flush my ATF and I've been hearing good things about the Redline products. Could someone tell me where to get this stuff? How much is it? Is it worth getting?
3) My windshield wipers are in dire need of replacement. I want the PIAA CF ones but are those just the blades themselves or the entire thing? I don't know what it's called but my wiper blades have a polished metallic looking base and I don't think they've ever been replaced cuz they look like crap. The polished metallic finish has nearly worn away completely, except for a big patch in the center of both wiper blades assembly bases. Is it possible to replace the whole part, (as in the entire wiper blade assembly/base) or am I stuck jus having to get the wiper blade refills?
ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:52 AM
UCF Lexus

--The DC corners should be 100% good to go. No silicone is necessary. Fitment is 99.9% exact. Just make sure YOU install them right.

--Dunno about redline

--Wipers are wipers....I personally wouldnt pay more just for the PIAA brand, they make LIGHTS! My black paint on the "base" is kinda wearing away too. You'll have to get the whole new assembly.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:43 AM

My paint on the assembly is wearing away too. I need new ones. I would just get some from walmart or something. They are just as good. You have to replace them every so often anyway. I got the Triple Edge ones and I have been very pleased with them.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! So the DC corners are pretty much a straight-forward replacement then huh? Sounds str8 to me. I have a 96 Dark Green SE w/ gold pin-striping (soon to be removed). I've got the stock cloudy glass head and foglight lenses and I'm trying to decide which DC corners will look better. The clears or black chrome? I'm leaning towards the black chrome right now jus cuz I'd like to contrast them w/ the cloudy (soon to be replaced for clear 97-99s) headlights above and foglights below. At least until I get the nerve to smoke/black out the fogs and headlights. Bad idea? Does anyone who's done this have pics? How do you'all think that'll look?
I'll prolly end up orderin them today or tomorrow from cusmax. How's their customer service by the way? Does it take forever to get your stuff? Jus curious.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=bijan gxe]--The DC corners should be 100% good to go. No silicone is necessary. Fitment is 99.9% exact. Just make sure YOU install them right.

bijan-so you say the fitment is for the most part, exact IF I install them right correct? There isn't much to this installation is there? I know not everyone is mechanically inclined, but a 10 year old should be able to do this rih? lol j/j I've taken off the stockers jus to see what's involved and partly in preparation for this day and that itself couldn't be easier. Now I know there's more to it than jus removing the old lenses and installing the new ones but there aren't any hidden surprises involved in this mod are there? Ya almost had me worried for a second there. Should I be worried bijan?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:42 AM

bijan-I'm not too keen on payin the extra money for the PIAA brand either. The main reason I wanted them was cuz I wanted the carbon fiber finish for one, and also cuz i thought they are a quality product. If the Wal-mart brand is more than adequate then I'd definitely get those instead of the PIAAs. That's $$ i can use on other stuff you know.
So since I wanna replace the whole assembly, i'll probably get them from Wal-mart if they sell them there. Do they come with instructions for replacing the entire thing? Can you get the entire assembly in cf (from PIAA) if you wanted?
One last thing. Are the PIAA Ion Crystal foglight bulbs and Star White/Xtreme White Plus bulbs worth the money? If not, what alternatives are there? Don't laugh, but out of the Star White & Xtreme White Plus 9004 bulbs, which ones look more like headlights on today's new cars like the Max, 350Z, etc? Should I get/will I need upgraded wiring harnesses like those on southwestautoworks.com? Jus tryina be thorough. Sorry for always bein long-winded. I'll get better w/ time (hopefully). Thanx much.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I would say go with the DC clears, not the black chromes. I think on dark colored cars, unless it is black, it looks better to have the diamond cut ones. When you get your 97+ lights converted, they will match really well.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I would say go with the DC clears, not the black chromes. I think on dark colored cars, unless it is black, it looks better to have the diamond cut ones. When you get your 97+ lights converted, they will match really well.
So go w/ the clears huh? OK i hear that. I see your point about the clears QQ'n better on dark cars than the black chromes. That's why i didn't jus go w/ the black chromes right off the bat. Thanx Brudaddy!!
I'm on the verge of ordering them so does anyone else have any suggestions?

p.s. Are there any write-ups on here on how to smoke out the head & foglight lenses? I guess that'd be makin them look more or less like the anniversary edition headlights then right? If so that's definitely what i'm looking for.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:52 AM

My paint on the assembly is wearing away too. I need new ones. I would just get some from walmart or something. They are just as good. You have to replace them every so often anyway. I got the Triple Edge ones and I have been very pleased with them.
Brudaddy-About those wiper blades. Last night I bought a pair of those Triple Edge ones from Wal-mart, but for some reason I'm thinking I got the wrong size. They have this little computer display in the automotive section where the wipers are that you can use to find out what size wiper blades you need for your particular car. Last night I used it AND asked a guy working in that department which size I need and he used that computer thing and told me which ones. I'm not sure, I'll have to check it, but I think he said (2) 20" or 21" blades, so that's what I bought. They were like $6.88 or so each.
The problem is, today when I went to a local auto shop where I normally get my car's work done, they have a display for Bosch wipers that I've flipped through on several occassions to check the size suggested for my car's wipers. This book on that display says 95-99 Maximas take 21" driver and 22" passenger blades or vice versa. Or it could have been 20" driver and 21" passenger blades or vice versa, I'm not exactly sure. But I'm 100% sure that it says (2) different sizes for the wiper blades. Now is it because I'm comparing (2) completely different brands that the sizes don't match up, or is one of those brands wrong in their recommendations?
Sorry for sounding so helpless. I also checked my owner's manual but found nuthing. ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:15 AM

I asked that same guy where I could get the assembly that the wiper blades attach to and he said they don't sell them there (@ Wal-mart), and that I might wanna check a local auto store like Auto Zone or another such place and if that doesn't work then I might have to order them. He didn't say where from so I assumed the same auto store(s) or the stealership. Now I'm concerned cuz I don't know how bad yours look but mine are absolutely HIDEOUS looking!! I might post some pics if I ever figure out how. Do you or anyone you know know where to get them from? Thanx!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 AM

Quick question-When i hit the "reply" button in the bottom right corner of any post on this page, it brings me to the Post New Reply window. In that window there are 2 buttons that say "Close Current Tag" and "Close All Tags". What do those buttons do and mean? From the post b4 this one to now I tried hitting them both to see what happened and on the very next post i noticed that when I replied to the post, it put a horizontal line dividing my reply from the original. Is that what it/they do? If so, which one does that since I hit them both, and how do I know they're on cuz when i clicked them, I saw no way of telling that they'd been clicked. My apologies for all the newbie questions.

p.s. When I go looking for that windshield wiper "base/assembly" what do i call it? Base or assembly? It's prolly easier to jus show whoever i'm buying it from huh? Ok n/m.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:41 AM

PIAAs Ion Crystal foglight bulbs and Xtreme White Plus/Star White headlight bulbs worth the $$? Any alternatives? I reeeaaallly wanna get rid of the ooglie azz yellow halogen stock bulbs and start moving closer to the HID/Xenon look A.S.A.P.!!! Comments appreciated.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Old Maxima Legend

#2 - www.myoilshop.com : about 7 dollars a quart
Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
#2 - www.myoilshop.com : about 7 dollars a quart
Thanx a bunch Ceasar!!!
Is this where everyone gets their Redline goods from? I was kinda hopin I could get this stuff from a local auto store, then maybe i could save on the shipping ya know? But apparently none of the shops around here sell those products. I gotta admit that I was expecting someone to give me the name of an auto shop that I haven't tried yet that would carry this stuff. That's why I asked you again (see above) if this is where everyone got theirs from cuz I was a bit surprised to see that apparently you can only get this stuff off the web. But since that's the case, I'm more than happy to use the info you gave me. Plz don't think i'm being picky or anything jus makin light of how narrow-minded I can be at times.
Again, thanks so much!!!

p.s. Which of their products do you use? Just the tranny fluid or the Synthetic Gear Oils too? Is the ATF all I need?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 AM

Ceasar--How's their Sl-1 fuel system cleaner?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
Thanx a bunch Ceasar!!!
Is this where everyone gets their Redline goods from? I was kinda hopin I could get this stuff from a local auto store, then maybe i could save on the shipping ya know? But apparently none of the shops around here sell those products. I gotta admit that I was expecting someone to give me the name of an auto shop that I haven't tried yet that would carry this stuff. That's why I asked you again (see above) if this is where everyone got theirs from cuz I was a bit surprised to see that apparently you can only get this stuff off the web. But since that's the case, I'm more than happy to use the info you gave me. Plz don't think i'm being picky or anything jus makin light of how narrow-minded I can be at times.
Again, thanks so much!!!

p.s. Which of their products do you use? Just the tranny fluid or the Synthetic Gear Oils too? Is the ATF all I need?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=225766

Look at post #18 This was the only place i could find that carries Redline. The Lady that runs this website is actually located near where i live. I drove down there recently (so i didnt pay shipping) and bought some Mt-90 for my 5spd...Great stuff....I havent used their other products though. I would recommend taking a look at the Fluids and Lubes threads for the best oil and ATF products. I use Modbil 1 ATF in my car. heres a link:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70