4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Went to dragway tonight: Several Small Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Went to dragway tonight: Several Small Videos

I got the cattman headers installed today, and as soon as I picked up the car I drove 135 miles to No Problem Raceway. It was probably not a good idea, but I just wanted to check them out and plus its supposed to rain all weekend.

Im not sure if i made a mistake in reseting my ecu or not? But I went ahead and reset it around 60 miles before I got to the track. It felt to me the thing hadnt adjusted, dont know. As I continued to make passes I got faster.

The weather was about much hotter than my PB of 14.1, and the same on the humidity. but again that didnt stop me from going.

What I did realize was after my last run I was starting to catch on to the car. With the headers my whole launch routine is gone, and I realized it to late. Before the headers I would never dare to launch higher than 2500 rpms, if I tried anything over that I would sit there and smoke down the tires. After 3 passes i realized hey, the car is doing nothing at 2500 rpms, no wheel spin, it felt alot like just giving it gas and driving off. So on my last run (14.2) I launched at 3000 rpms, and i had no spin, or anything. I had some good reaction times tonight ( best .000) but I stunk it up driving.

Im just very curious as to what i can launch at now. 3000 rpms was nothing, the next time out im going to start at 3500. Anyways I forced all this tonight. the chariot was heat soaked and abused ! LOL .. also broke my highest trap speed at this track at 98 mph .. I have no idea !

Videos

Ceasar vs Neon SRT-4
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/kindre...rostytest1.wmv

Ceasar vs Subaru WRX
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/kindre...frostytest.wmv

In town Videos

On the way home, Frosty was out in the middle of the interstate doing 40 mph. Once I caught up to him we took off down the interstate 12 making some videos. In one we are side by side and in another one. He gets out on the side of the road and tapes me flying by. Is this guy crazy ?

Side by Side
http://68.224.178.194/~frosty/MOV01641.MPG

Drive by ( frosty got skills )
http://68.224.178.194/~frosty/MOV01646.MPG

sorry about the sloppy post, im dead tired !
Old 04-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The video's from my camera suck, but you can still see whats going on, and the Chariot sounds CRAZY!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
SomePsychoGuy

wish i could have been there with the pig. nice job guys.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:04 PM

Ceasar, your car sounded like a bat out of hell at the track. Good job.

P.S. Long live SS!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:18 AM

wow u southern slugs are all over the place, nice videos btw
Old 04-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

How about posting some slips.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:04 AM

Man Ceasar, you need the VI. Everytime you race a SRT-4, they get you in the end.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:22 AM

Sounds like you were racing open headers, that would explain for loss of low end.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Old Maxima Legend

deezo, you got that right !

timeslips - putting up the best one of the night versus best timeslip ever at NPR.

Last Night -----Best Time Ever

RT:.126----------.043
60: 2.141 --------2.127
330: 6.017 -------5.956
1/8: 9.218 -------9.117
mph:78.72--------77.38
1000:11.973------11.843
1/4: 14.299------14.161
mph:98.05 -------97.40

Track Conditions:
Last Night --------Best Time Ever
Temp: 72 ---------51
Humid: 55 ---------59
BPres: 30.08------30.37

Time:8:53 PM ---6:40 PM
Old 04-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Old Maxima Legend

sonic i was running a full exhaust, cattman headers, custom maxima test pipe, warpspeed b pipe, magnaflow muffler
Old 04-29-2004, 04:54 AM

Wow, sounded ricy in the vid.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:05 AM
Old Maxima Legend

man the car sounds AWESOME to me ! I was completely floored when I drove off in the chariot yesterday. i respect your opinion though.

This was hands down the best mod I have ever done to the chariot. Well got to head off to work. these wed night races are killing me. Left at 6pm got to track at 8pm made 3 passes by 9PM. Made the 14.2 run and drove back. Crashed at 2am, up at 7am off to work. im cashed !
Old 04-29-2004, 06:08 AM

I could be wrong man. My laptop doesnt reproduce sounds the best way. That may be a reason.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:48 AM

I was there. Ceasars car sounded very sweet. The "ricey" tone might have to due with the muffler than anything. Other than that, it sounded very nice.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
I was there. Ceasars car sounded very sweet. The "ricey" tone might have to due with the muffler than anything. Other than that, it sounded very nice.
Don't you miss running your car? After getting my y installed, I can't wait to hit the track. I don't know how other cars feel with their y's but my car's acceleration has greatly improved. It's unreal.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Old Maxima Legend

cumalot dont forget to weigh that y pipe and let me know the weight !! thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
Don't you miss running your car? After getting my y installed, I can't wait to hit the track. I don't know how other cars feel with their y's but my car's acceleration has greatly improved. It's unreal.

Yes I do. That's why I ran yesterday, check out how I did at the 1/4 forum.

Ceasars: I'll PM you once I weigh that ypipe.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:15 AM

SONIC: The car sounds "OH MY DARN GOSH IS THIS MY CAR" good... as a gal, and a picky chicky at that, this mod has been the only mod Ceasar and I have got, that's made me jump out of my seat, screaming,
"I LOVE THIS MOD! OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS CAR...."
So, yeah... it's sounds sooooo sweet in person!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:40 AM

how much for the header install? whered you get it done? exhaust shop or other...
and do you know the weight of the headers and y-pipe together vs the old stuff?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:08 AM

(ceasar on wifes username)

i will get back with you on the price of install, will have to get the receipt (at work). I had several other things done at the same time.

The local Nissan Dealership did the install.

Header Weight: 23lbs
OEM & WS Ypipe: 32 lbs

9 pounds lighter

Im experimenting with the stock cat today. Put it back on the car.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
Yes I do. That's why I ran yesterday, check out how I did at the 1/4 forum.

Ceasars: I'll PM you once I weigh that ypipe.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:40 AM

Awesome Videos, Caesar.
I wish I was not always so busy, and I could come down there and try the track out with you guys.

You got the links backwards with the cars up top....the first one is with the WRX(looks like) and the next one is with the SRT-4.
Was the driver of the WRX just that bad, or did you just eat his lunch?
I am just proud that a maxima that weighs tons more than the SRT-4 can hang with it like that and not be turbo. You represent N/A best!
Keep it up.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
deezo, you got that right !

timeslips - putting up the best one of the night versus best timeslip ever at NPR.

Last Night -----Best Time Ever

RT:.126----------.043
60: 2.141 --------2.127
330: 6.017 -------5.956
1/8: 9.218 -------9.117
mph:78.72--------77.38
1000:11.973------11.843
1/4: 14.299------14.161
mph:98.05 -------97.40

Track Conditions:
Last Night --------Best Time Ever
Temp: 72 ---------51
Humid: 55 ---------59
BPres: 30.08------30.37

Time:8:53 PM ---6:40 PM
Not real promising Ceaser. I don't see much gain. The weather is a significant factor, but I would expect to see more difference between the two runs. Hmmmm...makes me more hesitant to get the headers, but a VI max may react different to them. I am sure the sound is sweet, but that makes for one expensive exhaust tone. I am most likely going to get the headers unless I see a VI/JWT ECU dyno that tells me otherwise.

I think if you ran with the headers in the same weather conditions as your PB then you might see a .1 gain or so, but it's hard to predict.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:23 AM

Mike, in my humble opinion - I don't think last night's runs are a very fair test for comparing the old set up to the new set up, or how effectual the headers are at decreasing his E.T. The mechanic said today that it's too early to run the car, that it's going to take 3 - 4 days or even a week for the car to "adjust".... in my mind, it's like the car just had "major surgery"... kinda like getting used to a prosthetic limb or something... anyways, Ceasar wasn't the only person running poorly, nearly every racer I spoke too commented on poor traction and track prep etc.

Additionally, there were other variables not mentioned that, no matter how minute, would affect his runs, and therefore any sort of comparison tests.

Personally I think the car has a much better time in it than what was being thrown up last night..... I also think that Ceasar has to get used to the way the car is driving now... as a passenger, my butt dyno is that the car feels faster than it was.

I notice the car is able to "top out" at higher RPMs in each gear, and also moves through the RMP's much quicker than before.

Ceasar and I were talking about this on the way home from the track last night, but is it possible for his shift points to have moved due to the headers ?

There is a fine line between shifting gears at it's peak power point and just winding the car out.... to me it seemed a bit like last night he was just winding the car out and enjoying the sound - which there is nothing wrong with doing, but Ceasar was not Ceasar's Chariot last night. I really believe that this new mod will take some getting used too, because it really does seem to me like the car could be alot faster (.2)..... only the track and time will tell.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo_K
Mike, in my humble opinion - I don't think last night's runs are a very fair test for comparing the old set up to the new set up, or how effectual the headers are at decreasing his E.T. The mechanic said today that it's too early to run the car, that it's going to take 3 - 4 days or even a week for the car to "adjust".... in my mind, it's like the car just had "major surgery"... kinda like getting used to a prosthetic limb or something... anyways, Ceasar wasn't the only person running poorly, nearly every racer I spoke too commented on poor traction and track prep etc.

Additionally, there were other variables not mentioned that, no matter how minute, would affect his runs, and therefore any sort of comparison tests.

Personally I think the car has a much better time in it than what was being thrown up last night..... I also think that Ceasar has to get used to the way the car is driving now... as a passenger, my butt dyno is that the car feels faster than it was.

I notice the car is able to "top out" at higher RPMs in each gear, and also moves through the RMP's much quicker than before.

Ceasar and I were talking about this on the way home from the track last night, but is it possible for his shift points to have moved due to the headers ?

There is a fine line between shifting gears at it's peak power point and just winding the car out.... to me it seemed a bit like last night he was just winding the car out and enjoying the sound - which there is nothing wrong with doing, but Ceasar was not Ceasar's Chariot last night. I really believe that this new mod will take some getting used too, because it really does seem to me like the car could be alot faster (.2)..... only the track and time will tell.
I agree that good comparion runs need to be done in similar weather as his PB. But I bet Ceasar has ran in 70 degree weather before. What were those times?

There is really no proof at all that the ECU needs to "learn" mods. There actually is more proof that ECU does not "learn" mods. I personally don't believe in that theory.

Don't get me wrong, I want badly to see some good track results from the cattman headers since I plan on getting them. Although last nights outing, which was not the best comparison, did not look promising.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hey mike, first off, i highly respect your thoughts on the project. i want to see them do good also and want to do what i can to judge their performance.

i drove over to nissan today and talked with the mechanic that installed the headers. he shook his head at me when i told him i went to the track. he believes the ecu and headers will have to work things out over the next few days. He said he could have told me ahead of time that the car will not be its best.

Well the guys up there ended up having a round table discussion and they all believe the ecu will have to adjust.

From a drivers perspective, I felt like something was wrong with the car, and it was only until the 4th run that I thought, hey hey ... what do we have here?

Well today after 350 miles the car is running very strong, and turned into a new monster. Much like my old setup where you stomp it and all hail breaks loose.

my opinion as of today is that i dont think we can toss in the towel just yet. from what they are telling me, and judging how the car is performing today. Im going to try my best to make it to another track this weekend. (weather permitting)

All I keep thinking today is I wish the car was running at the track like it is today ?

Im hoping the best and feeling very good about it today. Keep in mind I know nothing for certain. The timeslips will have to be the judge.

stay tuned !
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
hey mike, first off, i highly respect your thoughts on the project. i want to see them do good also and want to do what i can to judge their performance.

i drove over to nissan today and talked with the mechanic that installed the headers. he shook his head at me when i told him i went to the track. he believes the ecu and headers will have to work things out over the next few days. He said he could have told me ahead of time that the car will not be its best.

Well the guys up there ended up having a round table discussion and they all believe the ecu will have to adjust.

From a drivers perspective, I felt like something was wrong with the car, and it was only until the 4th run that I thought, hey hey ... what do we have here?

Well today after 350 miles the car is running very strong, and turned into a new monster. Much like my old setup where you stomp it and all hail breaks loose.

my opinion as of today is that i dont think we can toss in the towel just yet. from what they are telling me, and judging how the car is performing today. Im going to try my best to make it to another track this weekend. (weather permitting)

All I keep thinking today is I wish the car was running at the track like it is today ?

Im hoping the best and feeling very good about it today. Keep in mind I know nothing for certain. The timeslips will have to be the judge.

stay tuned !

I want nothing more than for you to prove me wrong!!!!!!

Not that I don't think the headers did anything. But those runs from yesterday got me a little discouraged.

As far as the ECU "learning" I will give you an example of why I don't believe that.

Neal tried to dyno an ECU he thought was a G-force. It turned out that he got scammed and was sold a stock ECU, but that is not the point. Anywho....his runs with both stock ECU's were exactly the same!! So if an ECU has to "learn" a mod then why did an ECU that had been in his car for 2 minutes dyno exactly the same as an ECU that had been in his car for years.

I reset my ECU right before going to the track on the 4th of this month. I ran a best 14.22 @ 99.44 with a 2.23 60' and no weight reduction. My PB of 14.19 was with a 2.14 60' and weight reduction.

Every mod that I have ever installed I felt right away.

As far as Nissan mechanics, one would hope they knew more than us but from all the stuff I read on here it sure does not seem that way. I remember when Insaw posted about a Nissan dealership telling him he needed a new engine becasue it was making some awful noise.....the noise was his super charger they somehow did not notice. There are ton's of stories like that about Nissan mechanics.

All that being said. Please prove me wrong!!! I commend you for taking the time to do there track comparisons. There are few guys who would do this. You are a important part of the org.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Old Maxima Legend

thanks mike, will try !

billy - looking over the receipt, the header install took 5 hours and cost 290 dollars.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by i30tMikeD
There are few guys who would do this. You are a important part of the org.
+1
+1
+1
+1
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM

come on ceasar... time for jwt cams, and a mevi...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Old Maxima Legend

working on it !
Old 04-29-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

damn the chariot sounds much different. No more mellow burble.....is full race bread now! I think it sounds so much better then before. Keep up the racing and its time to break in to the 13's!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
damn the chariot sounds much different. No more mellow burble.....is full race bread now! I think it sounds so much better then before. Keep up the racing and its time to break in to the 13's!

White or wheat?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
White or wheat?
buttered or toasted?