4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about gas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Question about gas.

Hey guys quick question here. My father has inherited a nice '99 Caddy Deville LOADED. So he is going to give me his totally stock 99 Maxima SE. I've been driving it off and on for the past few years, and I started reading some of the FAQs on maxima.org, and noticed the Maxima calls for 91+ octane gas. My dad has been putting the lowest quality gas in it ever since he bought the car. They say the problem with using the low quality gas, is it will cause detonation or pre-ignition. I spoke with my dad about this, and he has decided to start putting the 91+ octane gas in it now. The FAQ said the damage adds up after each detonation. Now i'm guessing by detonation they would mean back firing, and my dad said he's never heard it back fire, so is it possible this car has never had a problem with the cheap gas? I just want to make sure this car is running tip top before I start modding it. Would I be able to check the codes and see if the car has ever a detonation? They said performance is lost when it detonates, is their any way to gain the performance back if it has detonated? Belive me I plan to keep filling this up with the 91+ Octane, but I was just curious about these questions. Thanks for the help guys. Keep maxing.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:25 AM

Just start using premium fuel and you'll be fine. My dad used to put regular gas and the car ran fine. There was just a little lag with it. Don't worry about it, lots of people put regular gas and the car runs fine, but if you want the most performance, use premium.

If you want, just disconnect the battery overnight and then your ECU will relearn everything.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

use premium .. your max will appreciate you for that!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 PM

It doesn't mean back firing, but rather engine knock(pre-detonation).
Knock is not good for your engine, so the knock sensor retards the timing to prevent future knock. The result: a car that performs more poorly because the timing has been retarded.
Like the others said, if you want to get the most out of the max, just use premium.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
use premium .. your max will appreciate you for that!
but I dont think my wallet will appreciate that!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by NissanSE98
but I dont think my wallet will appreciate that!
True, but I'd rather spend the x-tra $$ knowing what's right for my max
Old 04-29-2004, 06:05 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. I'd hate to see this car have problems like engine knock, I really appricate this car. I just filled her up with premium tonight.

Is it true if I unhook the battery overnight the cpu will reset itself and stop retarding the timing? Is this a good idea, you said the cpu retards timing to prevent further knock right? So setting the timing back to the original setting will not be a problem? You guys rock.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

after awhile of purchasing it it just becomes sencond nature and you do not even think of the price compared to the other octane levels. The car runs much better with it!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:04 PM

Read the FAQ's 420. Welcome to the.org

You should replace the knock sensor. I didn't think anything was wrong with my car when I bought it. Drove it for like 4 months using 94 octane, then I found out I needed a new knock sensor. Got it replaced and it was like a different car. Better gas mileage and more power.

-Joe
Old 04-29-2004, 08:12 PM

Posted by ManualMaxima -
after awhile of purchasing it it just becomes sencond nature and you do not even think of the price compared to the other octane levels. The car runs much better with it!
i agree with that totally. just treat your baby right, and put in premium. now i just dont even look at gas prices, because they are what they are, i cant change them. I just fill it up, and if it comes out to 29-32 dollars, then so be it.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by (_8*(l)Homer
Read the FAQ's 420. Welcome to the.org

You should replace the knock sensor. I didn't think anything was wrong with my car when I bought it. Drove it for like 4 months using 94 octane, then I found out I needed a new knock sensor. Got it replaced and it was like a different car. Better gas mileage and more power.

-Joe
Read my orriginal post JOE I have read the FAQs. The only questions I asked were ones that I found the FAQ left out. The FAQ does not say anything about replacing the knock sensor if you have been using regular gas. Why would you tell me to replace a part if I don't see anything wrong with my car? Have you even read my orriginal post? Do you just tell everyone who is new to read the FAQs when they have a question, even if it's not answered in the FAQs? Not everyone is a moron joe. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:01 AM

I don't think you should have to unhook your battery or reset your ECU unless your knock sensor is bad. It will learn that you are giving it better octane fuel as it goes. I was getting some hesitation in mine, and I started putting in some premium. Well, it took about 3 tanks for it to totally stop the hesitating, but it eventually learned what was going on. That tells me that my knock sensor is not bad yet. Yours might be, but you never know.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 AM

Ill never know if my knock sensor is bad? Isn't there anyway to tell? Checking the codes on the ecu? I was going to go over to auto zone today.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:30 AM

They might be able to tell you at Autozone.
Also, there is something in the How-To's about checking the ohms of the ks to see if it is still good.
Try those things.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 AM

yeah, check the how to's, i checked mine today to make sure it was good. thank god it is