4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Took my intake off and went stock.....more power...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:54 AM
Pizda Boy

Took my intake off and went stock.....more power...

Strange but true... I was sick of my intake so I decided to go stock... Car feels so much smoother & so much quicker... I feel like the intake was holding the power back... I'm not left with y-pipe only... But the car is quicker, and nice & quiet....
My 02 sensor is still bad so I'm hoping that if I replace it, i'll gain a bit more power (i'm not sure if i'm correct on this though). . . .

You guys feel like you gained anything with an intake?
I'm definitely not going to put it back on...
Maybe a CAI would be different but no $$$ for it right now...

Sam
Old 05-04-2004, 05:04 AM

What kind of intake did you have on your car before u went back stock?

I like your name I'm Maxed outof Cash too!!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Pizda Boy

I bought it at a meet from Frankencar... but I didn't have the whole set up...just the cone... ( i thought it sounds good, but i'd rather have power than sound)

Sam
Old 05-04-2004, 05:40 AM
The original VQ...

I have the mid pipe a stock box and no resonator and the box is swiss cheesed(drilled a few holes in the bottom). The stock box seems so much better than the cone filter. Exept i have a midpipe so it is alittle more responsive. But yes the car does feel alot smoother for me to .

I got a pic of my setup on my homepage.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I have the mid pipe a stock box and no resonator and the box is swiss cheesed(drilled a few holes in the bottom). The stock box seems so much better than the cone filter. Exept i have a midpipe so it is alittle more responsive. But yes the car does feel alot smoother for me to .

I got a pic of my setup on my homepage.

Hmm..never seen a set up like that... Does it feel better? The car is still quiet though right???
Old 05-04-2004, 05:59 AM
The original VQ...

yup it feels alot more powerfull. well my car isnt quiet cause of my exhaust but there is no intake sound . maybe a slight sucking sound at like 5k.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:11 AM

no man put it back on lol i personally love the sound that the intaker gives my car... it didnt really give me and power maybe 1/2 a hp lolol. i took it off for like a week once because all my neighbors complained my car was to loud since i always used to do a 1st to 2nd... but couldnt take it anymore and put it right back on lolol... but hey man wateva floats ur boat i guess haha

Kenny

ps
i dont think the intake reduces any power at all... thats my opinion tho
Old 05-04-2004, 06:18 AM

From everything I have read, unless you are wanting a little more high end response, don't get any intake, unless it is MEVI.

I have stock airbox, and am Pleased with the way it pulls hard and is still quiet.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:41 AM

If you had just the cone intake then your car would be slower from the start, they are good for midrange/high end but take from low end. When I had just the cone my car was alot slower from a stop.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Pizda Boy

that's exactly it... my low end sucked.... but i'm happy with just the y-pipe for now.. I might put a midpipe for the stock intake just like maxspeed has but we'll see...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:28 AM
SHODOG220

Thats really wierd. Ive heard that happen with a lot of cars, though. I went to an F-Body club dyno day once (Camaro/Firebird) and saw a couple guys literally lose 5hp on the dyno by putting K&N Filters in thier cars.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SHODOG220
Thats really wierd. Ive heard that happen with a lot of cars, though. I went to an F-Body club dyno day once (Camaro/Firebird) and saw a couple guys literally lose 5hp on the dyno by putting K&N Filters in thier cars.

when u just have the cone one (pop charger) you'll loose low end hp. I used to have thi setup. than i got the mid pipe and i was good to go. definatly a hp increase when the cone and mid pipe are combined. just a cone is stupid. u'll pretty much even out because even though it sget more hp in the high end it loose much in he low end. I used to just there for like 2 seconds until the rpms moved up past 3k and then i'd move. i hope not many maxima owners have popchargers.

HAI are shown to have the best HP increase on the dyno

blah blah blah yeah i know this all was discussed b4 a millions times, this org is just full of repeated topics because of the damn search being disabled.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
that's exactly it... my low end sucked.... but i'm happy with just the y-pipe for now.. I might put a midpipe for the stock intake just like maxspeed has but we'll see...
Thats why you need a 5-speed. Your sucky low-end problem will be fixed very quickly when you floor it through 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
Thats why you need a 5-speed. Your sucky low-end problem will be fixed very quickly when you floor it through 1st and 2nd gear.
+1
+1
I concur.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
+1
+1
I concur.
hahaha I agree on that one. It's your crappy 4 gear auto thats making you feel it so much. The gears just wind way too slow. My 5speed feels a lot more powerfull in every rpm range than my old 95 auto did. Especially in 1st and 2nd.

And the sad thing is when I first bought my 95 auto, I thought it was the fastest thing on the streets.(I drove a Kia Sportage, Ford explorer v6, and Jeep Cheroke V6 before that) lol Now I think my 5speed is butt slow!!! I'm soo used to the same power that I'm sick of it and I need more. That and the fact that I'm the only one in my family with a slow car. Galant VR4-12.9 @ 108; 95 mitsu gsx- 700whp @ 35psi; 90 tsi- 13.2 @103; 95 Supra tt-bpu++ enough said; 01 S4 chip-13.1........the list goes on and on and on. lol
-Paul
Old 05-04-2004, 12:15 PM
acj

I had a homemade intake on mine---I made the midpipe and the MAF adapter plate and thought it was great...at least during the winter. But when it started getting warmer my low end starts started to suck(and I'm a 5 speed).

Anyway, I took the midpipe off and put the stock resonator back on and it feels a whole lot better. I do miss the sound though...it's somewhat still there, but not as loud.

I'm thinking about just getting a K&N panel filter and putting my stock air box back on.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:43 PM

I don't see how you could lose power from getting better air flow.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
The original VQ...

its mainly because the air is so hot its pointless and doesnt gain any HP. I dunno the details.

I have tested every intake setup exept the cold air ones and this is the one i think gives best range of HP and no low end lag.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Well, the main trick here is:

Cone intakes air which doesn't have enough oxygen. Hot air, cold air - doesn't matter. Cone is located under the hood, where u won't get lot's of fresh air, but other fumes.

Can u imagine how hot your air is inside the engine????? Pretty hot. So the cold air gets hot in les then a second.

However, it needs to be full of OXYGEN, which comes only from undeneath the car, through COLD AIR INTAKE.

Thats where Cold air intake gives u Low-end power. On the other side, when the car is already running and fresh air gets under the hood, that how u get High and Middle range power from the cone.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:22 AM

hack the stock box, keep the snorkel, remove the first resonator(under the batter, leave the pipe that feeds air to the resonator) to let air in from under the max...k&n drop in panel filter.

excuse the typos..

good to go.. i may put the 2nd resonator back on, i think its beneficial. it keeps a larger volume of post filtered air ready to be used after the maf, should make the car more responsive. just been too lazy to do it. all that old intake stuff is in my attic.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
From everything I have read, unless you are wanting a little more high end response, don't get any intake, unless it is MEVI.

I have stock airbox, and am Pleased with the way it pulls hard and is still quiet.
Totally agree with that comment.

The stock intake, opened up slightly is hands down the best for a snappy, responsive & quiet engine.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:31 AM
acj

Max Noob, taking off the lower resonator does it make it any louder? I may do this but I will miss the sound I have now. And does removing the lower (first) resonator cause any lag in the throttle?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 AM
BOSS

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
Strange but true... I was sick of my intake so I decided to go stock... Car feels so much smoother & so much quicker... I feel like the intake was holding the power back... I'm not left with y-pipe only... But the car is quicker, and nice & quiet....
My 02 sensor is still bad so I'm hoping that if I replace it, i'll gain a bit more power (i'm not sure if i'm correct on this though). . . .

You guys feel like you gained anything with an intake?
I'm definitely not going to put it back on...
Maybe a CAI would be different but no $$$ for it right now...

Sam
Intakes are lame, END OF STORY

I went through 2 intakes already, each of which I took off because they don't help ****. If anything, intakes make you lose power. Each and every time I went back to the stock airbox the acceleration was much, much smoother and overall better. I felt right away that the car pulled harder and was more responsive with the stock intake than with any aftermarket intake. With an aftermarket intake there was always this lag, which I hated. I WILL NEVER PUT ON AN AFTERMARKET INTAKE AGAIN.

As a side note: Nissan engineers aren't stupid. I think the stock Maxima intake is extremely well designed, under pressure, something that putting on the after-market intake or even hacking the stock airbox eliminates. Pressure is the key ingredient in our stock intakes.

People often think that "oh, more air is better, more air is better, gimme more air dammit"!

...to this, I say NO. Technically more air is better, BUT what's more important is HOW air is distributed and sucked in. Just because you got a bigger opening to suck in air doesn't mean you are actually sucking in more air than you are with a much smaller opening but pressured correctly. That's exactly the case with our stock intakes.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:51 AM

BOSS- this is true. cause when u suck in the air through a smaller opening, the air gets denser. more oxygen for the volumn= better combustion/efficeincy.

but, the limit to this is also the small opening and the lack of optimal volume. u also have to understand that the max is a family sedan, made for quietness, i believe adding an opening for addition volum help optimizes the stock intake system and makes it what it should have been if they wernt concerned with quietness.

acj- opening up the lower resonator marginall ads very little sound, you'll only hear intake sounds on WOT. under normal driving its only a little bit louder than stock. no lag in throttle. much smoother acceleration. smoother being constant pull. with an aftermarket, u may gain an hp or 2 at certain peak rpms, but the power band gets uneven, u have uneven pull.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by BOSS
Intakes are lame, END OF STORY

I went through 2 intakes already, each of which I took off because they don't help ****. If anything, intakes make you lose power.
I got more power with mine

As a side note: Nissan engineers aren't stupid. I think the stock Maxima intake is extremely well designed, under pressure, something that putting on the after-market intake or even hacking the stock airbox eliminates. Pressure is the key ingredient in our stock intakes.
What pressure? Our engines are normaly aspirated. Our engines are neither under pressure nor are the intakes "pressurizing" anything.

People often think that "oh, more air is better, more air is better, gimme more air dammit"!
They would be thinking correctly

...to this, I say NO. Technically more air is better, BUT what's more important is HOW air is distributed and sucked in. Just because you got a bigger opening to suck in air doesn't mean you are actually sucking in more air than you are with a much smaller opening but pressured correctly. That's exactly the case with our stock intakes.
More air is better.

You are talking about the venturi effect. The Stillen/JWT have a venturi style opening so if the stock one has it, so does this style cone filter also.

"pressured correctly"??? Another odd term.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:43 PM

That's right BOSS. I had the same f**king problem. I took my Cone of and sold it. I'm happy now.

PRESSURE and real O2 is critical, which comes from outside the hood) "Inside the hood" mix of hot fumes lack of sufficient amount of oxygen

More air is not necessary. Intake will suck the amount of air set by the computer anyway. It will not intake more air even if they feed it.

Id like to try Cold Air Intake though.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 PM
BOSS

...and what would you know jeff? You probably put on an intake once and the loud growl made you believe that it actually increased hp when in fact it did nothing of such . Go ahead and switch to a stock airbox and aftermarket intake back and forth and you'll see the difference.

The reason ignorant people like you believe in intakes is because of the way they're advertised.

And yes, the stock intake airbox is somewhat more pressurized than is any aftermarket intake.

You come out here and try to disprove something by posting complete BS. I really have had 2 intakes. Did you ever even switch back to your stock airbox? I had friends drive around with intakes, most of whom have taken them off and gone back to the stock setup because they too felt their performance degrade with an aftermarket intake.

In the end, there is a reason for this thread
...so please don't come in here and say it's all crap because quite frankly what you said, is.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually the TB plate is what allows the engine to ingest different amounts of air. The ecu will only read that amount and calculate the proper injector pulswidth.

Originally Posted by Mikesburn
More air is not necessary. Intake will suck the amount of air set by the computer anyway.
It will not intake more air even if they feed it. Id like to try Cold Air Intake though.
Well supercharges and turbos seem to feed it more air despite what the ecu "wants" to be feed.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

You just typed alot for saying absolutely nothing.

So explain it to me how the engine is "pressurized".

All you stated that you had two intake and it didn't work FOR YOU. Even though you don't have any dyno results. I just said they workd FOR ME. According to you own logic, I can claim my personal experiences just as you did.

If you want to explain "pressurized" then do so. If you can't don't state it as the "reason" why the stocker is better. Because it makes it look like you are talking out of your dyno-butt.

The stocker might benefit the low end. But I believe the cone will benefit the higher-mid range. The cai might improve both.

Cheston did a thermocouple temp test along with airflow readings proving that once moving the cone saw no more higher temps than a similar cai. This would also apply to a stock airbox. The cai might improve low end due to the longer tube length.

I didn't say anything was crap. I just asked that you explain the crap you are spouting.

...and what would you know jeff? You probably put on an intake once and the loud growl made you believe that it actually increased hp when if fact it did nothing of such. Go ahead and switch to a stock airbox and aftermarket intake back and forth and you'll see the difference.

The reason ignorant people like you believe in intakes is because of the way they're advertised.

And yes, the stock intake airbox is somewhat more pressurized than is any aftermarket intake.

You come out here and try to disprove something by posting complete BS. I really have had 2 intakes. Did you ever even switch back to your stock airbox? I had friends drive around with intakes, most of whom have taken them off and gone back to the stock setup because they too felt their performance degrade with an aftermarket intake.

In the end, there is a reason for this thread
...so please don't come in here and say it's all crap because quite frankly what you said, is.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well supercharges and turbos seem to feed it more air despite what the ecu "wants" to be feed.

haha,

...that is exactly it - it is no longer sucking air in, the air is being FORCED and you are FEEDING, not SUCKING air in. LOL, the ECU has no choice here so that was a really stupid comparison jeff.

either way, feeding or forcing the air is bad and we all know it, unless the vehicle was factory-designed to take such force induction. Otherwise one ends up having a boosted Maxima, very few of which work the way they ought to.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You just typed alot for saying absolutely nothing.

So explain it to me how the engine is "pressurized".

All you stated that you had two intake and it didn't work FOR YOU. Even though you don't have any dyno results. I just said they workd FOR ME. According to you own logic, I can claim my personal experiences just as you did.

If you want to explain "pressurized" then do so. If you can't don't state it as the "reason" why the stocker is better. Because it makes it look like you are talking out of your dyno-butt.

The stocker might benefit the low end. But I believe the cone will benefit the higher-mid range. The cai might improve both.

Cheston did a thermocouple temp test along with airflow readings proving that once moving the cone saw no more higher temps than a similar cai. This would also apply to a stock airbox. The cai might improve low end due to the longer tube length.

I didn't say anything was crap. I just asked that you explain the crap you are spouting.
...no, what's funny is you coming in here, trying to discredit what I said. MaxedOutofCash, myself, and others have simply stated facts - that is, our cars feel noticably quicker with stock intakes.

You come in here and ask me for dynos. Now I ask you for a dyno which does show hp increase with an aftermarket intake. And please don't post BS, because quite honestly I too can produce a fake, hand-drawn dyno (which many of the aftermarket producers do), like custom-maxima seems to have done with their turbo-kit.

What's weird is that just about everyone in this thread agrees about the Maxima accelerating better with stock air intakes, except for you.

I think you not taking off your aftermarket intake is somewhat analogous to being stuck in the oedipus complex.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:30 PM

I have to agree with Jeff. Aftermarket intakes aren't designed to pressurize air. They are designed to increase airflow, which they do. That's why you'll usually feel a small difference. The intake, whether stock or not, does not pressurize air enough to make a big difference. The stock intake doesn't pressurize air anymore than an aftermarket. They just increase airflow thus the reason they only give minimal gains. Only Turbo's and Superchargers pressurize air. Thus the reason why you gain so much HP. As to whether or not you feel the car has gained power with or without the stock intake is all up to you. However aftermarket intakes work exactly the way they are designed to.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

now i dont know what i want
Old 05-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Lightly modded

...no, what's funny is you coming in here, trying to discredit what I said. MaxedOutofCash, myself, and others have simply stated facts - that is, our cars feel noticably quicker with stock intakes.

You come in here and ask me for dynos. Now I ask you for a dyno which does show hp increase with an aftermarket intake. And please don't post BS, because quite honestly I too can produce a fake, hand-drawn dyno (which many of the aftermarket producers do), like custom-maxima seems to have done with their turbo-kit.

What's weird is that just about everyone in this thread agrees about the Maxima accelerating better with stock air intakes, except for you.

I think you not taking off your aftermarket intake is somewhat analogous to being stuck in the oedipus complex.
This is a public forum, isn't anyone allowed to come in and discredit what they want (even if incorrect)? I think Jeff was playing a little Devils advocate when he entered this thread. And your butt dyno and others aren't 'facts' as you call them, they are opinions. If you can't handle people saying contrary ideas to yours, prove your facts, with a dyno, like Jeff asked. I too am interested in hearing about this pressurising you speak of. And how does any of this relate to Oedipus?

I'm still using my Frankencar intake, but am considering taking off the Apexi filter, and putting the stock box back on with the midpipe. Seems like a good balance, like others here have mentioned. I wish we could get some solid dyno evidence of all this to end all this madness.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I wish we could get some solid dyno evidence of all this to end all this madness.

let's get some DYNOs...nothings better than science...
FLO_BOY
Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM

Cai

I have a CAI on my car right now, and want to go back to stock power, this is the pic of what it looks like right now... after the MAF, all I have is the tubing leading down into place behind the foglights with a cone filter. What parts would I have to put back on just to get the stock power back???

Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 PM

C'mon Maximas

Boss is talking about low-end power, that's where stock box or Cold Air Intake is taking the lead.

Jeff, how I understood is talking about more air, at the middle and high end. That's where the cone takes over.

But hey, we are all driving on the streets, we need low-end power first. That's why people like me, Boss and others have taken cones off and will consider Y-pipe in addition.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:08 PM

BTW They already put so many Dynos on this forum before.

The results are:

Cone - middle and high end
Stock Box and CAI - for low-end
Old 05-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by superblack98se
I have a CAI on my car right now, and want to go back to stock power, this is the pic of what it looks like right now... after the MAF, all I have is the tubing leading down into place behind the foglights with a cone filter. What parts would I have to put back on just to get the stock power back???

Thanks
You just need a stock box installed back where it was. And wll the pipes coming out of this box. And, hey - don't forget an air filter
Old 05-05-2004, 02:15 PM

lol

......thx

Quick Reply: Took my intake off and went stock.....more power...