4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WS or other y-pipe users look here please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WS or other y-pipe users look here please!

hey guys,

I have had this sound from my warpspeed y since the minute it was installed. It is only on heavy acceleration in 1st and sudden WOT from 2nd. It comes ONLY when the wheels are on the ground and the engine is under load and the car is moving. It immediately goes away when I let the accelerator go. It is rev dependent (louder/faster as I accelerate, softer/slower when I decelerate in 1st /2nd), and it from the inside of the car it sounds like it's coming from the middle around the center dash area in front of the shifter and a little lower.

I took it to the mechanic that installed it and his whole shop looked for signs of rubbing/banging,etc against the firewall or any other nearby structure but could only reproduce it when the tires were on the ground and the car was doing what was described above. They couldn't find anything.

The pipe itself is bolted in there pretty tightly so I don't think it's that.

what do you think it is? What should I do? This is really frustrating guys because I can't take advantage of the newfound power in 1st! ( most of 2nd through gear-5 are soundless and bad *** though!!!)

anyone had this problem then been able to fix it?

thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 PM

Y pipes are typically louder than the stock pipe. Is it rattling?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:08 PM
V^___^V

warpspeed y-pipe has fitment issue with the cross member. u'll either have to remove it, bend it, or cut it.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Always sunny in philly

...One of the many reasons why i have been hesitant to purchase one. Good luck tho.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan
hey guys,

I have had this sound from my warpspeed y since the minute it was installed. It is only on heavy acceleration in 1st and sudden WOT from 2nd. It comes ONLY when the wheels are on the ground and the engine is under load and the car is moving. It immediately goes away when I let the accelerator go. It is rev dependent (louder/faster as I accelerate, softer/slower when I decelerate in 1st /2nd), and it from the inside of the car it sounds like it's coming from the middle around the center dash area in front of the shifter and a little lower.

I took it to the mechanic that installed it and his whole shop looked for signs of rubbing/banging,etc against the firewall or any other nearby structure but could only reproduce it when the tires were on the ground and the car was doing what was described above. They couldn't find anything.

The pipe itself is bolted in there pretty tightly so I don't think it's that.

what do you think it is? What should I do? This is really frustrating guys because I can't take advantage of the newfound power in 1st! ( most of 2nd through gear-5 are soundless and bad *** though!!!)

anyone had this problem then been able to fix it?

thanks in advance!
I think i have the same problem i took it to my mechanic and he had no clue. A Friend of mine owns a maxima and he was clueless. I only notice is on 1st and 2nd. When i accelerate slowly i dont hear it at all only when i floor it a little. Is it the same problem you have?

Please keep me posted
Old 05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by chillinmax
...One of the many reasons why i have been hesitant to purchase one. Good luck tho.
it's actually not that big of the deal once you remove it. the power of this thing is priceless
Old 05-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by chillinmax

lucky, i wish i never purchased mine, power isnt worth anything if its making all sorts of noises
Old 05-05-2004, 04:04 PM

from the sounds of it, it sounds like you had the same problem i did.......... you were cheap and you purcahsed a piece of Cr*p from warpspeed. my ypipe was rubbing on the crossmember after installation and made horrible noises so i did the unthinkable i had to notch the crossmember with a blow thorch..... you may have to check for this under HARD acceleration your engine twist so it may be rubbing. i hope this helps
Old 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM

"you may have to check for this under HARD acceleration your engine twist so it may be rubbing. i hope this helps"

It only does it when i shift hard on first and second.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 PM

Damn, I must have gotten lucky. I've never had any sort of noise from mine. Just the slight Hiss under hard acceleration...But I like that.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:10 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

the cat hanger is also messed up when a warpspeed is put on. e-mail dallas form warspeed.com and ask about a new cat hanger. they are $15. the people who hae tried them say that it works.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:48 AM

I think its funny as hell that WSP tried to diss Budget's pipe on their website and the Budget installs are going great. My Budget fits perfectly.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:59 AM

Is there any real difference in performance between the two pipes?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:06 AM

There shouldn't be. The Budget just cost less.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:14 PM

No fitment issues here.
Just the little hiss at WOT.
I like that as well.
I am very happy with all the extra power.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:20 PM

No fitment issues here.
Just the little hiss at WOT.
I like that as well.
I am very happy with all the extra power.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:20 PM

hey guys I appreciate the advice. If you all could post pics of where you torched the cross member, I would appreciate it! I REALLY don't want to torch it in the wrong place or too much.

What are the consequences of torching the x-member? Argh, I wish other people had this problem and posted about it before I went in on the WS GD! What the hell did they do in development? How does Budget/Cattman/Stillen not have and WS does. Dumb Assss engineers!

sorry. Just venting. Lastly, what makes it worth it though is that the power that it freed up is just sick! Throttle response is much better and the VQ feels like a new beast unleashed !
Old 05-06-2004, 07:22 PM

and yes, the noise ONLY happens in hard core flat out acceleration in 1st and 2nd. (Rarely in second)

I'll try and record it but I'd need someone to host the mp3. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 PM

Make sure you don't have chunks or bolts or anything sitting loose around in there. Check the gaskets too. It's probably neither, but you could always check.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:32 PM

Is yours making a wierd noise from ~3500rpm on in 1st?

Here is a vid of mine. No one but me can hear the noise, but if yours is the same then you will hear it.

VID: http://www.auburnextremeracing.com/d...e_se/ypipe.avi

Yes, the pipe is REAL close to the x-member, but not too close on mine. Plus I need to really get under there for once. I's say I have an inch of clearance but that's not too much under full weight tranfer in 1st gear.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Worst case scenario you pay some kid at a muffler shop to double check the bolts, clearance, flex pipe... Not rocket science - the pipe is making noise and there aren't too many places it could be coming from.

Mine still makes the noise. I'm gonna see what some other org members think this weekend.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:48 AM

Does it do it every time or just every once in a while?
Mine does it every once in a while when I WOT because the wheel hop that I get sometimes causes the whole exhaust to bounce around. I think it is just because when I got my b-pipe put on, it was not welded back to the hanger quite right.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:53 AM

i used to have a creaking sound every time i torqued the motor, it went away now but it looks like some of my exhaust are hanging a bit low, i plan to fix the sagging when im at a muffler shop getting a catback put in. it could be because of poor install but, those few weeks of noise was well worth the gains to me.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Does it do it every time or just every once in a while?
Mine does it every once in a while when I WOT because the wheel hop that I get sometimes causes the whole exhaust to bounce around. I think it is just because when I got my b-pipe put on, it was not welded back to the hanger quite right.
i just got my y-pipe instaled today and for about 35 miles in city, i notice nothing but the power gains, then after a while at wot i heard a lil rubbing noise when going wot, i went back to the shop and they looked for like 15 mins on the lift and tried it out and found nothing, im woried and hope nothing bad happens. if it is something with the cross member and cat, then ill just wait a lil bit since im getting my magnaflow, test pipe, at b-pipe installed next week and ill let them take a look at the X member.

im lovin the y pipe, it is super quiet and that supprised me, i expected a lil rumble or something. power is great and i also installed my UDP and i feel the Revs accelerating alot faster, esp in 2nd gear....... it just flies into third, takes less time to shift for some reason. over all i am happy with all the performance mods ive done today.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:48 PM

it was funny, i had the exact same problem and the day i was gonna put it up on stands and have my way with it, the noise went away. it still rattles around down there a bit but very very minimally now. yeah i have the WS and i shoulda got a budget. but oh well. live and learn
Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Hella internets

and then get loves?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Hella internets

HAHA, anyways sorry for the double post, but have any of the budget people gotten this problem? cause if not, im gona get a budget...any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM

I have a BUDGET y. Never had a problem with it. This is a performance part that really doesn't give me any problems at all. A little louder with the apexi ws but not too loud, enough to know that there is more hp coming out than dbs. But other than that there isn't any problems at all with my Budget.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:48 PM
CaLSoNiC

I dont have any rattling, but when I rev it or accelerate hard, theres a real raspy noise, sounds really ricy =/
But at idle, it sounds like a V8 and I like that. The power is awesome, but the rice noise sucks. Is this raspyness im hearing the same thing as the rattle you people are talking about?
I installed my pipe myself with a broken arm, took about 2 hours and I didnt notice that the pipe was touching the crossmember for the engine mounts.
Anyone else have this rasp?

Old 05-08-2004, 12:03 AM

can somebody give detailed instructions on how to locate and where to torch the crossmember. im also experiencing the rattling sound and its driving me crazy. lol.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sounds to me like WSP changed thier y-pipe jig. My non-mandrel WSP Y-pipe has never rattled and you can see why, this thing isn't remotely close to the cross member:

The sound you guys are hearing is definitely a clearance problem with the y-pipe and chassis. If you don't have anymore than 1/4" of clearance between the chassis and y-pipe, chances are the pipe will hit under extreme load such as shifting and WOT acceleration. The VQ torques quite a bit in it's mounts so the exhaust does quite a bit of moving. I would check the clearance between the cross member, cat heat shield, and y-pipe hangers. You guys ARE using the OEM y-pipe hanger that sits at the y-pipe/cat flange, right? I hope so, because without that the exhaust will move around way too much and you'll split the flex section within a matter of months. My friend left his hanger off and within 4 months the flex was destroyed.

Dave
Old 05-08-2004, 02:17 PM

There is a note on step #9 here: http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/install.htm

"On some VQ engine 1995-1999 Maxima's it may be necessary to bend part of the thin vertical bracket at the front where the converter attaches over towards the center to keep anything from contacting the frame of the car, the rubber hangers should hang straight down. Also check to make sure the other 2 rubber hangers are correctly aligned on your B pipe."
Old 05-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Hi all,

I did not want to post a new thread, but while we are on the topic of y-pipes...

I am waiting for my Budget -Y to be deliverd. A friend is installing it. I am hoping to make things as easy as possible for him. I have hit my stock exhaust nuts/bolts with PB blaster a few times to make things easier to come off.

I want to buy reaplacement bolts etc to go back on with the new Y. What size bolts etc would I need? What other parts etc may be best to replace at this time? I am not an autofile so I don't know this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

MM
Old 05-08-2004, 04:21 PM

I installed mine about a week ago and it was nowhere close to the cross member (mine is mandrel bent). Also how long did it take most of you when the rattling first occured?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 PM

I have the wsp Y pipe also and the thing fit like a glove the only rattling I got was from my rusted old cat bracket that was hitting the heat shield, the sound came from my dash area. If you look I have a pic of what I removed and the sound was gone. I love WSP I even ordered their cat back system.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

any good exhaust shop will get rid of all of your odd noises.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:58 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

i might teke mine to a exhust shop to see what they think. and i am going to get that new hanger from warpspeed and see if that is effective.

i will send an e-mail to warpspeed and see what they ahv to say.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:06 AM

sounds good to me.

I'll have to get under there when I have time!