4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fidanza flywheel review/write-up/impressions *videos*

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 12:34 PM

Fidanza flywheel review/write-up/impressions *videos*

I got the Fidanza flywheel along with ACT HDMM clutch installed last week and here are my imprssions of it.

Power
I am still in the process of breaking the clutch in so I really couldnt tell you how the flywheel is for power wise, as I haven't 'gotten on it' yet. But I can definetely tell first gear pulls a lot harder, even though I have yet to floor it. Car seems more peppier all around.

Gas Mileage
I also tested my gas milaege before and after the flywheel. I tested it for three different tanks of gas and got the average of the three. I did the same afterwards, although I am only at two tanks. Keep in mind before and after I never drove the car hard, as before my clutch was slipping so bad that I couldn't, and after I was breaking in the clutch. All driving was around town.

Before average gas milaege: 23.3 22.1 23.4....................22.9 MPG
After average gas milaeage: 25.1 24.8..................................24.9 MPG

So results could be slightly more accurate, but you can see I am saving around 2 MPG for around town driving. I have a feeling highway MPG would stay the same, since the flywheel mostly lessens the inietia through the lower gears. This is just a hunch though.

Drivability
Launching this thing is tricky though. I dont know how hard it is with an OEM clutch, but the RPMS fall so fast when taking off in first gear, that I usually bog the car or just kill it. The fact of the ACT grabbing so hard probably doesn't help. Im not saying I don't like it, I am just on a new learning curve. Its almost like I have to relearn to drive a stick. My first day out with this set-up I killed the car around 10 times.

Conclusion
Overall this is really worth it. I'm sure I'll like the setup even more after my break-in period, but that waits cause I wanna play it safe. No regrets here. Don't know if it would be a good idea for a hardcore drag racer, as it is very tricky to launch, but for everyday driving around, I love this thing.

I am still looking for someone to host two videos for me. The videos are nothing to special. One shows how fast it revs(and the F@#!$ing CEL came on during a rev as you can see!!! The other shows me shifting through 4th. You can see how fast the RPMs drop. Nothing to spectacular. Very hard to tape and drive.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:44 PM

sounds great man, how much did the flywheel end up being?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Flywheel was 355 shipped.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have found that lauching at a low rpm works best for me with the findanza. Usually 1500 rpm's, no more than 1800 rpm's. Seems to be hard not to bog even a little bit when launching above 2k. Even a slight bog kills my 60' foot.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:08 PM

Very interesting insights.
Good to hear you are happy with your setup, I'm about to install an Exedy stage 1 clutch along with the Findaza flywheel also myself.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Radiohead
Very interesting insights.
Good to hear you are happy with your setup, I'm about to install an Exedy stage 1 clutch along with the Findaza flywheel also myself.
Thanks...Youll enjoy it very much.....

OT: Radiohead rocks, 2nd favorite band of all time, see user name for 1st
Old 05-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

off topic

for people who don't know Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
off topic

for people who don't know Smashing Pumpkins.
OT again...If someone doesn't know that Billy Corgan is the lead singer of the late Smashing Pumpkins, they probably arent that big of fans anyways and dont need to know
Old 05-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Billy's Videos !

ACT HDMM clutch/Fidanza Flywheel Video Test

Video # 1 Clutch & Flywheel Test Click Here
Old 05-07-2004, 04:25 AM
The original VQ...

were did you get it for 355 shipped, icause i considering getting one cause i already got ACT.

Post of vid of the power you get when it breaks in.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
were did you get it for 355 shipped, icause i considering getting one cause i already got ACT.

Post of vid of the power you get when it breaks in.
clutchexpress.com

PS - the video Caeser posted above I realize is really bad. You can kind of tell how much faster the RPMs drop. Hopefully the other, better video will be up later today.

Much thanks to the Chariot for hosting the videos.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Blown

for the guys that did there own flywheel job....did you put the steel spacer back in ontop of the flywheel....there was a groove on the stock flywheel for this to seat down into but on the fidanza there was no such groove, so therefore i put the fidanza in with out the "spacer"....anyone have any imput on this....did I do it right...did I do it wrong?....Thanks
Carson
Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
OT again...If someone doesn't know that Billy Corgan is the lead singer of the late Smashing Pumpkins, they probably arent that big of fans anyways and dont need to know
I didn't know that. And who cares? I don't even know the names of some of the lead singers of the bands I am big fans of.....I just don't worship them like that. It doesn't really matter, because they are in a collective band.
Oh, I know one....Dave Matthews.........ha ha ha
I just thought it was your name.

I will have to agree with the radiohead. I like them. Some stuff is a little weird, but cool.

Keep us updated on the clutch/flywheel thing. I am interested to hear all about it.

Why would this thing be giving you better gas mileage in town?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I didn't know that. And who cares? I don't even know the names of some of the lead singers of the bands I am big fans of.....I just don't worship them like that. It doesn't really matter, because they are in a collective band.
Oh, I know one....Dave Matthews.........ha ha ha
I just thought it was your name.

I will have to agree with the radiohead. I like them. Some stuff is a little weird, but cool.

Keep us updated on the clutch/flywheel thing. I am interested to hear all about it.

Why would this thing be giving you better gas mileage in town?
no big deal. i think it's because the car uses less energy when moving through the gears, or acfcelerating. Not so much on the highway because you are at one constant speed. I could be wrong though.

I hate my ACT. It could be installed wrong, I could have not broken it in properly, but all I know is it is not working properly and I hate it. Ill have the OEM clutch installed in 3 weeks.

and yes, flywheel is very hard to launch. Ive only managed a couple good launches. but still very worth it.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:50 PM

I drive in town 0-60mph more than I drag race(1/4 mile). That is what would be more of a concern to me.

What is the ACT doing that you don't like?
I have heard a couple of bad things about those recently.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:23 PM

After watching that vid I'm wondering how the lighten flywheel increases drivability, it seems more of a labour to drive and shift without bogging it.

And yes, what is the ACT doing that is making you hate it?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM

I can't wait to see the videos after its broken in.

After watching the video, i regret not getting the fidanza flywheel, with my Spec Stage 1 clutch. i did my 5 speed swap about 2 month ago and thought i had already spent enough money and didn't need an aftermarket flywheel since i found one at a junkyard that wasn't too badly burnt. although i love driving a stick and i feel more power then as an auto, everyday i think about how much quicker i could be with a flywheel. O well, i'll get one eventually.

Keep us updated!

Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and Dave Matthews Band Kick A**
Old 05-19-2004, 09:32 AM

he he
Bump....
Old 05-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Billy Corgan became an Ahole a couple months before they broke up the band. The last show they had at the Metro was rescheduled cause he wasn't feeling good. That cancelled the show of another band a day later. Let's not talk about ZWAN. What a POS that was. By the way my friend, with the busted tranny got the fidanza for $330 something a couple weeks ago, not the GD.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Blown

does anyone know the answer to my install question in my above post? About the spacer?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I drive in town 0-60mph more than I drag race(1/4 mile). That is what would be more of a concern to me.

What is the ACT doing that you don't like?
I have heard a couple of bad things about those recently.
It shudders everytime i shift into a new gear. Im sure it doesnt do this on all ACTs, but it is annoying. All I need is OEM.

Originally Posted by Big D
Billy Corgan became an Ahole a couple months before they broke up the band. The last show they had at the Metro was rescheduled cause he wasn't feeling good. That cancelled the show of another band a day later. Let's not talk about ZWAN. What a POS that was. By the way my friend, with the busted tranny got the fidanza for $330 something a couple weeks ago, not the GD.
VERY OFF TOPIC....

Sorry, but I think Billy would want to feel good for his last show in the states as the Pumpkins. If you were the lead singer of one of the biggest rock groups of the 90's and you didn't feel good for the very last show in the US in a small venue, I think you would cancel as well. I don't think it was Billy trying to be an *******.

ZWAN was different. Depnds on your taste. Talent wise though, it was the allstar team of bands. Obviously, the super talented Billy Corgan on vocals and guitar, Matt Sweeny, former frontman of Skunk on guitar, and of course Jimmy Chamberlin, IMHO. one of the greatest jazz, rock, blues drummers today. And even if Billy was an *******, what are you trying to prove? He has millions of dollars as well as some of the most loyal fans out there(pumpkins) who will follow Billy anywhere with any music he decides to create. The guy is set. Ive seen Zwan live once and it was te best live show Ive been to. Seeing Billy play in person is incredible. Sorry to get off-topic.

I didnt understand the last statement about the flywheel. The flywheel was not part of that group deal.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:27 AM
Blown

mine also 'shutters' going into gear....what causes that? I also have ACT with the Fidanza
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 AM

Well I got my car back today after getting the clutch and flywheel installed.

I've only driven it for less than 10km, but I find it's still very very driveable city wise.

I can't wait till I've broken in the clutch and start stomping on it.