4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 GLE Evaporator problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 07:12 PM

1995 GLE Evaporator problem

Has anyone had to replace the evaporator in their 4th max's before? I had a 1990 max that I had to do that with and here I am upgraded thinking I shouldnt have the same problem again and now I do. I had my car to a shop April '03 and they quoted me $700 to replace the evap, high side line and receiver drier. I knew that was too high, especially on the parts so I didnt bother. I havent really bothered with it since then but I called the place back in January to get another copy of the quote cuz I lost my old one and they faxed it over with a $903 updated figure. I nearly flipped.. I didnt bother finding out about getting it done until yesterday/today I went out and got it checked for a second opinion and this other shop quoted me the same $700 but they want to replace the evap/receiver drier/expansion valve.. So I called the first place today for clarification and the guy looked up my old quote in the computer and came back with an updated price of $987...

So heres my problem. I'm broke as hell, college guy looking for a job. I can get the evap brand new online for $89 which really isnt bad compared to the $314 the first shop quoted me for the evap. I can get all the parts new for about $160 or less shipped here (I only checked 1 place so far). I called around to a bunch of different shops here and around the city (Atlanta) and they were all quoting me figures like $250-$900 just for labour. Most that included the evac/recharge, labour, and freon were like $350. My first question is should it be THIS much for the labour? I know the job is a bit involved but I paid the guy $250 to install my evap/receiver drier/expansion valve on my 1990 max and that included all the work/freon. Second question, where should I be looking for cheaper labour on this? I really cant take it anymore, I just cant ride around here with the windows down because of allergies + its hot as a ****.

Last question, with both quotes differing (high side line vs expansion valve), how do I know which is gonna be the right choice to go with? I mean I think you have to replace the expansion valve when replacing the evap which is why I found it odd that it wasnt included on the first quote. I'm thinking that high side line is probably fine.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

call up Nissan, a regular Nissan Dealership, and find out if there is a racall for your vehicle..have your VIN# ready...try and do a search or go back far in the 4th gen forum and find a # of the recall...Its an emissions recal..I got the box replaced, two front O2 sensors replaced, and some valve done...over 450$ in stuff on my 96'...check it..maybe youll get lucky
Old 05-07-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by matty
call up Nissan, a regular Nissan Dealership, and find out if there is a racall for your vehicle..have your VIN# ready...try and do a search or go back far in the 4th gen forum and find a # of the recall...Its an emissions recal..I got the box replaced, two front O2 sensors replaced, and some valve done...over 450$ in stuff on my 96'...check it..maybe youll get lucky
I searched these forums a while ago back when the search feature worked but couldnt find anything about it, relating to recalls that is. I googled as well but nothing.