4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which muffler shape looks good on our Maximas?
Oval (eg. Greddy SP2)
93.10%
Round Can (eg. 5Zigien Fireball)
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

What muffler shape suits the Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

What muffler shape suits the Max?

I've been scoping out the exhaust systems on the web and have noticed that there are mainly two groups of cannister shapes: oval and round. Which one looks good on our Maximas?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Hooooooonda.....

The cannister(round) mufflers are ALL POS. They are usually small and that's why they sound so terrible. The BIG oval mufflers like the WS and the SP are quieter cause they have more room for the sound cancelling foam or whatever it is to be put in.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Have to agree with the BigD here. Plus the round type hang very low if they are of any decent size. The oval types can get wide and still have a low profile. Those round types just look like Rice X 10. All the lamo Hondas ruined it years ago for everyone else. Even if I see a Supra TT with some, I sorta go "damn, dude ruined the look of his ride".

Just go with the more traditional oval types. A twin tip adds some class too. heh

Originally Posted by Big D
The cannister(round) mufflers are ALL POS. They are usually small and that's why they sound so terrible. The BIG oval mufflers like the WS and the SP are quieter cause they have more room for the sound cancelling foam or whatever it is to be put in.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 AM

Definately the ovals. The round cannister type just scream "RICE!".
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 AM

i have a obx type h and its kinda like a canister...but it does sound nice and deep...imo not ricey
Old 05-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a round muffler and it looks great. It fits the car perfectly.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 AM

what do u have?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
^ Jeff™

I have a smaller oval muffler...HP Racing...sounds REALLY good.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by JLiusifer
what do u have?
Rush SS Muffler #114

Old 05-11-2004, 10:26 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Who gives a flyin' fxck what the muffler looks like? I wish we had a way to completely hide them without major body modifications. For me its all about how they perform and sound. Look is not that important to me. I voted for the SP2 for the reasons previously stated.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:00 AM

Oval is the way to go. This is what the maxima looks like with the Apexi ws catback.

Hard to see but you get the idea.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by broaner22
Who gives a flyin' fxck what the muffler looks like? I wish we had a way to completely hide them without major body modifications. For me its all about how they perform and sound. Look is not that important to me. I voted for the SP2 for the reasons previously stated.

I have a Borla muffler and you can barely see it unless you look underneath my car
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~mitch33...cs/Kosei03.jpg
Old 05-11-2004, 01:32 PM

i have a Magnaflow SS canister type, and it looks really good and sounds great. nice and deep
Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 PM

I have had a caniter (round) muffler, and I liked how it looked on my Maxima. Now I have squareish greddy sp, and like how it looks as well.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Those round types just look like Rice X 10. All the lamo Hondas ruined it years ago for everyone else. Even if I see a Supra TT with some, I sorta go "damn, dude ruined the look of his ride".

Just go with the more traditional oval types. A twin tip adds some class too. heh
I completely disagree...round canister types can look sick on certain cars (WRXes, Supras, 240s, etc.).

But yeah I just think the whole cannon look doesnt work on Maximas bc our cars dont look very sporty...traditional fits better.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ludacris
I completely disagree...round canister types can look sick on certain cars (WRXes, Supras, 240s, etc.).

But yeah I just think the whole cannon look doesnt work on Maximas bc our cars dont look very sporty...traditional fits better.

here is a pic of a 3" Apexi N1 on a sc'ed, and it think it looks pretty damn good.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
here is a pic of a 3" Apexi N1 on a sc'ed, and it think it looks pretty damn good.
That looks fine but I just don't think it looks as good as somethign like this..

I don't think Maximas could get away with this kinda look, they look too american or something
Old 05-11-2004, 06:04 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I hate that angled look. What is the point of showing off exhaust?
Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 PM

I hate that angled look. What is the point of showing off exhaust?
Good for you! What is the point in showing off exhaust? Because we like it...I personally don't see a point in investing in a "bangin azz sound system yo", blue bulbs everywhere and neon glow tubes and other rice stuff ...but from your cardomain it seems that you do. It's all personal preference.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:49 PM

Good for you! What is the point in showing off exhaust? Because we like it...I personally don't see a point in investing in a "bangin azz sound system yo", blue bulbs everywhere and neon glow tubes and other rice stuff ...but from your cardomain it seems that you do. It's all personal preference.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Chassis Freak

I agree. What's the point in having an angled muffler like that? It's very gratuitously showing off something boring and not important at all to the car's performance. Conspicuous display of the muffler is just as bad as having a 6" coffee-can tip. I think that's very ricey.

If you're going to flaunt something, make sure it's worth flaunting. A good sound system is worth flaunting. Of course, said flaunting must be tasteful or else you're back to rice land.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:04 PM
The original VQ...

I went with a 2.5 " dual tip cause those big a$$ mufflers remind me of riced out civics. I myself had even had a 4.5" tip muffler but got rid of it .

Old 05-12-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I went with a 2.5 " dual tip cause those big a$$ mufflers remind me of riced out civics. I myself had even had a 4.5" tip muffler but got rid of it .

Now thats a good lookin muffler/maxima...... My only question has to be about your left rear outer light and what in gods name is wrong with it?
Photoshop gone bad?
Ah yes now i see that its white paint......replaced rear fender......tripped me out cause i thought it was one giant rear light......heh
Old 05-12-2004, 06:07 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by MAXSRB
Now thats a good lookin muffler/maxima...... My only question has to be about your left rear outer light and what in gods name is wrong with it?
Photoshop gone bad?
Ah yes now i see that its white paint......replaced rear fender......tripped me out cause i thought it was one giant rear light......heh
ya thats primer, i had a a realy deep scrape on the corner when i came out from school one day, kind off even a dent you can say.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:21 PM
V^___^V

magnaflow SS......nice, quiet, and conservative looking muffler
Old 05-12-2004, 06:27 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks Tom. Slammed95 just has some built up resentment because I came up with the idea for a CF underbody diffuser. J/K. Seriously though, lets compare apples to apples. Any Joe can get a can for under $100 and have it mounted in a wierd angled fashion and think he's hot ****. Its the people that spend the money and time to make it tasteful that are hot ****. Now, about the system. 1. You picked one of the worst pics on my page to display whats in my trunk. 2. Currently my setup is at least twice as much as the best exhaust setups made for a Max or Z or basically anything for that matter. 3. Nobody except my passengers and I know that I have a system because I can't stand it when people next to me have their **** rattling. I even made a huge effort to hide the fact that I even had a system at all. The single hole is there to let the amp breathe and also happens to show it off a bit. So, even once my trunk is open you gotta look twice to realize its not stock. Tasteful? You decide.

And don't get off that I'm being hypocritical because I myself have an exhaust and tezza's. I made every reasonable effort to hide the muffler without doing crazy piping or sheet metal work. I dislike that exhaust look because any old Joe can and does go and buy a $100 can and have it purposely mounted at an angle so more people can see the entire length of its hideousness. True, there are several very high quality exhaust systems like that but the f@gs ruined it for us all as mentioned before. I hate these god d@mn tezza's. I got them because my stock tails were cracked and I can't stand the amber. If I could get my hands on a set of R/C's I would do it in a heartbeat no matter the cost. I don't buy off Ebay and never plan to.

BTW, maxspeed96CT, that is a nice looking tip and muffler. What setup is it? But what is that mark above your keyhole? Black primer would look slightly better than the white/grey stuff don't you think?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 PM

Thanks Tom. Slammed95 just has some built up resentment because I came up with the idea for a CF underbody diffuser. J/K. Seriously though, lets compare apples to apples. Any Joe can get a can for under $100 and have it mounted in a wierd angled fashion and think he's hot ****. Its the people that spend the money and time to make it tasteful that are hot ****. Now, about the system. 1. You picked one of the worst pics on my page to display whats in my trunk. 2. Currently my setup is at least twice as much as the best exhaust setups made for a Max or Z or basically anything for that matter. 3. Nobody except my passengers and I know that I have a system because I can't stand it when people next to me have their **** rattling. I even made a huge effort to hide the fact that I even had a system at all. The single hole is there to let the amp breathe and also happens to show it off a bit. So, even once my trunk is open you gotta look twice to realize its not stock. Tasteful? You decide.

And don't get off that I'm being hypocritical because I myself have an exhaust and tezza's. I made every reasonable effort to hide the muffler without doing crazy piping or sheet metal work. I dislike that exhaust look because any old Joe can and does go and buy a $100 can and have it purposely mounted at an angle so more people can see the entire length of its hideousness. True, there are several very high quality exhaust systems like that but the f@gs ruined it for us all as mentioned before. I hate these god d@mn tezza's. I got them because my stock tails were cracked and I can't stand the amber. If I could get my hands on a set of R/C's I would do it in a heartbeat no matter the cost. I don't buy off Ebay and never plan to.

BTW, maxspeed96CT, that is a nice looking tip and muffler. What setup is it? But what is that mark above your keyhole? Black primer would look slightly better than the white/grey stuff don't you think?
This is an exact quote from you in the GreddySP2 thread.

"The tip placement dissapoints me. I was really looking forward to saving up to replace the **** I got now but now I won't even consider. 1. It looks bad."

I just find it funny how you talk about how you wanna hide your exhaust and ask why people care about how it looks when you care yourself.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Masaccio
I agree. What's the point in having an angled muffler like that? It's very gratuitously showing off something boring and not important at all to the car's performance. Conspicuous display of the muffler is just as bad as having a 6" coffee-can tip. I think that's very ricey.

If you're going to flaunt something, make sure it's worth flaunting. A good sound system is worth flaunting. Of course, said flaunting must be tasteful or else you're back to rice land.

OK...first BOSS with his "the Asians copy Europeans in the way they modify cars" bs, then all these people going nuts over a stock S14 Kouki and saying "I like the Silvia headlights" when it had stock lights and now this.

Dude get a clue, these angled mufflers ARE worth showing off! Does anyone on Maxima.org know ANYTHING about imports OTHER than Maximas??? They have the most expensive, well known parts on their cars and you are gonna talk like it's ricey.

^ RICE

^ RICE

^RICE

I mean, the wheel/tire setup are probably worth a good portion of how much your car costs. Not the ADR, Konig, etc. knock off cr@p you see all over the org. I could continue but you get the point...sigh
Old 05-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Chassis Freak

You can spend @$$loads of money on any type of part for your car but that doesn't mean it's worth showing off. If you cream your pants whenever you see an angled muffler, that's cool. Saves your hand the work. Taste is taste, each his own. Just don't get all high and mighty about how great a muffler is. I'm simply saying I don't like the look and it's silly to show off a muffler because any fool knows a muffler isn't going to add more than a few HP.

Maybe all these crackers with angled mufflers are trying to advertise that they have bent d!cks? haha
Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 PM

You can spend @$$loads of money on any type of part for your car but that doesn't mean it's worth showing off. If you cream your pants whenever you see an angled muffler, that's cool. Saves your hand the work. Taste is taste, each his own. Just don't get all high and mighty about how great a muffler is. I'm simply saying I don't like the look and it's silly to show off a muffler because any fool knows a muffler isn't going to add more than a few HP.

Maybe all these crackers with angled mufflers are trying to advertise that they have bent d!cks? haha
I respect the look, these guys know what they're doing. They understand the culture, but I don't cream my pants lol.

Yea, different strokes for different folks I just don't see why you allow neon glow tubes lighting up a subwoofer and amplifier, but not the showing off of exhaust. I mean, the car was meant to be driven, not to be a rolling boombox, if anything is rice that would be it imo.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Chassis Freak

BTW Ludacris, I really dig your complete look...keeps getting better. Tinted tails, painted rims. How did you do the corner light rewire and how exactly do the lights work? Also, what brand and color paint did you use on the rims? Looks amazingly good.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:03 PM

well just wanted to add my .02 since im getting my custom catback put in tomorow. i personally think oval cans look far better than the round ones. oval just looks more lke a stock replacement with some umph to it. round IMO looks like something that is like a rally muffler which belongs on a WRX or EVO. im getting a magnaflow muffler with a nice sized tip, i believe someone posted a pic earlier in the post, its a very nice and subtle muffler that has a lil flare of performance and i heard it sounds gr8. im also getting custom 2.5 piping for the catback.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 PM

BTW Ludacris, I really dig your complete look...keeps getting better. Tinted tails, painted rims. How did you do the corner light rewire and how exactly do the lights work? Also, what brand and color paint did you use on the rims? Looks amazingly good.
Thanks dude

-Corner light rewire- i really wouldn't know...Frank (jdmmax) helped me out with that, took him awhile to finish the job (like 3 hrs). Basically the lense next to the headlight is ALWAYS on whenever any of my lights are on, when I signal that is my signal. It dims and brightens. When lights are off it's still my signal. The bumper lenses are just parking/runnign lights

-paint...used Duplicolor wheel paint in graphite and clearcoat.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
well just wanted to add my .02 since im getting my custom catback put in tomorow. i personally think oval cans look far better than the round ones. oval just looks more lke a stock replacement with some umph to it. round IMO looks like something that is like a rally muffler which belongs on a WRX or EVO. im getting a magnaflow muffler with a nice sized tip, i believe someone posted a pic earlier in the post, its a very nice and subtle muffler that has a lil flare of performance and i heard it sounds gr8. im also getting custom 2.5 piping for the catback.
if you dont mind me askin...how much did it cost for the custom piping? I wanna get that done sometime in summer.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Chassis Freak

no WAY.... I posted a thread about this weeks ago, basically, how to get the clearance lights (next to headlights) on a 97-99 to behave light those on a 95-96 (brighten when you signal to that side). It's one of the most retarded decisions Nissan ever made because they still call for twin-filament bulbs (1157) there even though the second filament is never used.\

Sounds like what he did for you isn't exactly the same, but the fact that you got the second filament on your clearance bulb working is very encouraging. So you gotta get this guy to do a write-up or at least explain the basics...PLEASE!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 PM

no WAY.... I posted a thread about this weeks ago, basically, how to get the clearance lights (next to headlights) on a 97-99 to behave light those on a 95-96 (brighten when you signal to that side). It's one of the most retarded decisions Nissan ever made because they still call for twin-filament bulbs (1157) there even though the second filament is never used.\

Sounds like what he did for you isn't exactly the same, but the fact that you got the second filament on your clearance bulb working is very encouraging. So you gotta get this guy to do a write-up or at least explain the basics...PLEASE!
lol yea bad decision on Nissan's part, at least for us owners. ill let him know and if he gets a write up ill pm u..
Old 05-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Chassis Freak

Thanks so much.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 PM

if you dont mind me askin...how much did it cost for the custom piping? I wanna get that done sometime in summer.
the whole thing is costimg me 275, 2.5 piping, new resonator, magnaflow muffler, and installation. seems like a good deal to me.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
the whole thing is costimg me 275, 2.5 piping, new resonator, magnaflow muffler, and installation. seems like a good deal to me.
That IS a good deal...is the piping stainless steel?

Masaccio no problem
Old 05-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Damn Luda, that supra and 240 look ****king hot!!!

Quick Reply: What muffler shape suits the Max?