4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Summit RPM switch install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Summit RPM switch install

The search isn't working, so I have to ask here. I'm going to replace the Harlan switch for the Summit one. Install should be similar if not the same, but I want to make sure anyway. There are 5 wires on the Summit switch. I know the red one goes to the 12v power source, which I could hook up straight to the + battery or any other 12v source. The black one is ground, that's easy. The white one goes the tach signal. This time instead of hooking it up to the coil pack, I want to hook it up to the ECU. So, which wire on the ECU should I hook this white wire to? Now I'm not too sure about the last two wires, the gray and yellow wires. Where do these two hook up to? Do I need to hook up both? Also, where do you guys find a relay? I can't seem to find one at either AutoZone or Pepboys. Lastly, how I hook the wires up to the relay once I get it? I'm not using a relay on the Harlan currently, and I haven't install a relay before. I want to make sure and not screw things up. TIA.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:51 AM

Compliments of Scruit:

Summit Switch Configuration:

There are 5 wires on the summit switch;

- Red (Power)
- Black (ground)

1) I installed a male AND a female spade connector on the end of the red wire, about 1" apart. Same with the black wire.

2) I unplugged the cig lighter wiring harness from the the cig lighter (under the shifter console) and plugged the red wire male connector into the cig lighter harness power, and plugged the red wire female into the cig lighter itself. I also plugged the black wire male connector into the cig lighter harness ground and plugged the black wire female connector on the black wire into the cig lighter ground.

This effectively allowed me to safely tap a switched, fused power source fro the RPM switch.

- White (RPM Input)

3) I removed the small black trim panel from the area of the front passenger's left foot. Behind here is the main ECU harness. I removed the smoked plastic cover and located the white/green wire. I tapped it using a 3M wire tap for now. This is not an ideal way of tapping the wire, so I will come back in and put a better connector later.

- Yellow (Normally Open Circuit activate)

4) I tapped the summit switch's red power wire again so I could power the vacuum colenoid for the VI. I ran two wires (a red one which was connected to the summit's red wire, and a yellow wire which was connected to the summit's yellow wire) through the firewall (stuck a knitting needle through the side of the grommet for the main wiring harness where it passes through the firewall up under the glove box.) The red wire was hooked up to the solenoid's positive, and the yellow wire was hooked to the solenoid's ground.

- Gray (Normally Closed Circuit activate) - NOT USED

5) The summit switch was set to 3400rpm. THIS TRANSLATES TO %$))RPM ON MY CAR!!! Do this by turning off all the DIP switches, then turning on 3000 on the thousands switch and 0400 on the hundreds switch.

6) Test - The summit switch has two LEDS, a red and a green. The red LED turns on when the switch is powered up. The green LED turns on when you reach the selected RPM. Test witht he hood open sitting in the driver's seat - rev slowly up to 5400rpm and watch the solenoid to make sure it clicks over.

And then you're done. Enjoy.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Thanks Dana. Seem to be a very easy install.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:44 AM

What happend to the harlan?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:53 AM

How's it coming, Cumalot?
Any success with the new install instructions?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
How's it coming, Cumalot?
Any success with the new install instructions?

I'm going to install my VI on sunday, with the Summit switch. The instructions seem simple. Let us know how it went
Old 05-19-2004, 11:05 AM

Haven't had time to put in the Summit switch. Probably have to wait until I get back from my trip. Like I said, install seem pretty easy. The instruction is detailed enough.