4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Factory Alarm- how reliable is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 11:00 AM

Hi,
I have just bought a 96 GLE that came with the factory alarm and I am wondering how relible these alarms are. I'm in NY and Maximas are realy on the top of the "most stolen" list, plus I park it in the street (it's a major street, though with a precinct 2 blocks away). A friend of mine has a Clifford 7000 and says it's really good, but i'm just not sure whether I should drop another $350 on it (the similar Viper, I heard, costs $275). I got the steering wheel multilock cover (like a club but covers an airbag as well).
Anyway, what do you think about it and what do you think I should replace it with (get in addition to it)?

PS someone has also suggested getting a multilock that locks onto the stick (I am not sure if it's really called a stick since the car is an automatic) for about $250...

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated

Roman
Old 03-25-2001, 11:13 AM

I have the same question

also can you add any options the alarm, like can you get it to roll your windows up when you arm the alarm???
Old 03-25-2001, 11:20 AM

As long as we're on the subject...

Also, as mine came w/out the manual, how can you make the alarm make sound when activating/de-activating? Mine flashes the lights in both cases but keeps silent. I am sure it can be done, but am not sure how.
Further, I just read somewhere on this board that if you hold the "open" button for a couple of sec extra it'll open the windows, is it true? Can't check out now as mine is in the shop- fixing the sunroof.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2001, 11:29 AM
Klamath

About the windows

Yes, it's true. Holding the unlock button for a few seconds rolls down your windows. (gotta put them back up yourself, though)

As for making the horn beep on arming and disarming, I have found nothing in the manual on this. I know that you can enable/disable this on 5th gens (at least in the 2000 model year) by pressing lock & unlock at the same time, but this does not appear to work on 4th gens.

Old 03-25-2001, 11:55 AM

Re: As long as we're on the subject...

Originally posted by Roman-dude
Also, as mine came w/out the manual, how can you make the alarm make sound when activating/de-activating? Mine flashes the lights in both cases but keeps silent. I am sure it can be done, but am not sure how.
Further, I just read somewhere on this board that if you hold the "open" button for a couple of sec extra it'll open the windows, is it true? Can't check out now as mine is in the shop- fixing the sunroof.

Thanks
I have a 99GLE and a factory alarm. When you hit the "lock" button on the alarm remote and there is no sound...that means that you locked the doors but the alarm is not on...

Basically when you hit the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on your alarm remote and the lights flash, but there's no sound...it means you're locking and unlocking your doors, but the alarm is not turning on or off at all.

To activate/deactivate your alarm, you have to turn your ignition key to the 3rd slot and then press the alarm button located on the lower left inside the driver side of the car...it's close to the hood release...

hope this helps...
Old 03-25-2001, 12:00 PM

Peace of mind...

Originally posted by Roman-dude
Hi,
I have just bought a 96 GLE that came with the factory alarm and I am wondering how relible these alarms are. I'm in NY and Maximas are realy on the top of the "most stolen" list, plus I park it in the street (it's a major street, though with a precinct 2 blocks away). A friend of mine has a Clifford 7000 and says it's really good, but i'm just not sure whether I should drop another $350 on it (the similar Viper, I heard, costs $275). I got the steering wheel multilock cover (like a club but covers an airbag as well).
Anyway, what do you think about it and what do you think I should replace it with (get in addition to it)?

PS someone has also suggested getting a multilock that locks onto the stick (I am not sure if it's really called a stick since the car is an automatic) for about $250...

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated

Roman
I would buy an aftermarket alarm just for peace of mind. Isn't your Maxima worth it? I would hate to go to my parking lot to go to work and nothing is in my stall! My heart would skp a beat. I have a Viper and it works for me. Anyway good luck.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:02 PM

alarm

I have a 99 SE-L, and my factory alarm works like this:
- Hit the gray "lock" button, and the doors lock and the alarm is armed

- Hit the unlock button once to unlock driver door and disarm, twice to unlock all doors, hold to roll down both front windows

- Panic button to set off the alarm

- Trunk release button will pop the trunk

There is no button to arm my alarm anywhere near the hood relaease. DSMercado, you either:
a) don't have a U.S. version Maxima
b) don't have a factory alarm
c) are mistaken about the operation of your alarm
or
d) Possibly the GLE and SE come with different alarms?

Does your remote have one big gray button and three round black buttons? If so, do you have a red LED by the cruise control button? Then your alarm sounds alot like mine, and it seems weird that Nissan would make you go to the extra trouble of having to reach under your dashboard to arm your alarm when I just hit my remote to set it (blinkers flash and dashboard LED starts blinking).

Anyway, Roman, there's no way to make your car sound off when setting the alarm without doing some kind of rewiring to hook up the horn leads to the alarm unit somehow.

justin
Old 03-25-2001, 04:33 PM
supertool

Dunno if I have an alarm

I have a 96 SE and there is a security blinker.
It never beeps unless I press the panic button.
Someone hit my car and nothing.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:53 PM

Re: alarm

Originally posted by justmax
I have a 99 SE-L, and my factory alarm works like this:
- Hit the gray "lock" button, and the doors lock and the alarm is armed

- Hit the unlock button once to unlock driver door and disarm, twice to unlock all doors, hold to roll down both front windows

- Panic button to set off the alarm

- Trunk release button will pop the trunk

There is no button to arm my alarm anywhere near the hood relaease. DSMercado, you either:
a) don't have a U.S. version Maxima
b) don't have a factory alarm
c) are mistaken about the operation of your alarm
or
d) Possibly the GLE and SE come with different alarms?

Does your remote have one big gray button and three round black buttons? If so, do you have a red LED by the cruise control button? Then your alarm sounds alot like mine, and it seems weird that Nissan would make you go to the extra trouble of having to reach under your dashboard to arm your alarm when I just hit my remote to set it (blinkers flash and dashboard LED starts blinking).

Anyway, Roman, there's no way to make your car sound off when setting the alarm without doing some kind of rewiring to hook up the horn leads to the alarm unit somehow.

justin
Justin,

To answer your points...

I have a US version Maxima. I have a factory alarm. I know how my alarm works. It should be the same alarm.

What happens when you go to a parking garage? Don't you de-activate your alarm so that the stupid valet guy doesn't get locked out of the car when the alarm automatically activates after a minute or so?

Like I said before, if you lock or unlock your doors and you don't hear a chirp, then your alarm is not on.

It sounds like we have the same setup and remote. The button by the hood release controls whether the alarms "chirps" (alarm is active and can be activated) or does not "chirp" (alarm is not active and cannot be activated). I usually deactivate the alarm if I have to hand my car over or something. When it does not chirp...hitting the lock button simply locks all the locks and that's it...alarm not on...

do you have your alarm manual?

hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2001, 06:38 PM

never heard of that alarm u have there
Old 03-25-2001, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: alarm

Originally posted by dsmercado

Justin,

To answer your points...

I have a US version Maxima. I have a factory alarm. I know how my alarm works. It should be the same alarm.

What happens when you go to a parking garage? Don't you de-activate your alarm so that the stupid valet guy doesn't get locked out of the car when the alarm automatically activates after a minute or so?

Like I said before, if you lock or unlock your doors and you don't hear a chirp, then your alarm is not on.

It sounds like we have the same setup and remote. The button by the hood release controls whether the alarms "chirps" (alarm is active and can be activated) or does not "chirp" (alarm is not active and cannot be activated). I usually deactivate the alarm if I have to hand my car over or something. When it does not chirp...hitting the lock button simply locks all the locks and that's it...alarm not on...

do you have your alarm manual?

hope this helps!
Hmmm, interesting... my lock button activates the alarm. I've tested this by rolling down the windows, getting out, hitting the "lock" button, then opening the door from the inside by reaching thru the open window... HONK! HONK! HONK! ETC...

Man I went out and looked at the car and there's no button by the hood release! There's no valet switch, and there's ABSOLUTELY no 1-minute passive arming. If I don't hit the button on the remote, the alarm is inactive. There's something weird going on here when we both have factory alarms from the same year that operate so differently.

Oh, and my car didn't have an alarm manual, but I think there's a section in the owner's manual about the alarm. I'll have to check.
Old 03-25-2001, 08:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: alarm

Originally posted by justmax

Hmmm, interesting... my lock button activates the alarm. I've tested this by rolling down the windows, getting out, hitting the "lock" button, then opening the door from the inside by reaching thru the open window... HONK! HONK! HONK! ETC...

Man I went out and looked at the car and there's no button by the hood release! There's no valet switch, and there's ABSOLUTELY no 1-minute passive arming. If I don't hit the button on the remote, the alarm is inactive. There's something weird going on here when we both have factory alarms from the same year that operate so differently.

Oh, and my car didn't have an alarm manual, but I think there's a section in the owner's manual about the alarm. I'll have to check.

that is really weird...i'll check what the name of my alarm is...

are you in the NYC area? maybe we could compare the interiors of our cars? just an idea...i got my car straight from Koeppel Nissan, brand spanking new!

i'm sure my alarm was pre-set for 1-minute passive alarming...and i never changed it...you could probably do the same...

we'll get to the bottom of this!!!
Old 03-25-2001, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
never heard of that alarm u have there
Do you have a factory alarm?

What's the name of it?
Old 03-26-2001, 07:14 AM

Ok I think you guys are talking about two different things.
For those who do not have the valet switch you have the factory OEM SECURITY SYSTEM (Keyless Entry). This is not a real alarm although it works like one. However, there is no shock sensor and no passive alarming. dsmercado, the alarm you are talking about is a real alarm INSTALLED by the dealer. This does not neccessarily mean its a factory alarm. All dealers have thier own choice of alarms to install but they usually program it with the factory oem keyless entry remote. Hope this clears things up.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:25 AM

Maxima alarms and window control

Concerning the '95-'96 Maximas, the alarm operates as follows: 1) Single click of "Lock" button arms the car, 2) Single click of unlock button just unlocks the Driver's door (alarm is now disarmed), 3) Double click of unlock button unlocks all doors, and 4) Holding down unlock button will roll windows down. They do not go up remotely, but you might be able to buy a module that allows for this (or you'll have to replace your system).

When locking the car, there is no chirp. Personally, I like this as it does not grab attention ("Oh, this guy just left his car"). The alarm works pretty well and will certainly go off no matter who tries to break into it. The professional thief will disable it about 1 minute after breaking in, while the average thief will most likely get frustrated and run. A more expensive alarm system will discourage the professional who can most likely find a Maxima with a stock alarm system (just make sure the upgraded alarm shows a difference!).

If you are in a high crime area like NYC, upgrade your alarm for peace of mind. I would also put in an additional ignition cut off switch.

~Gary
Old 03-26-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
Ok I think you guys are talking about two different things.
For those who do not have the valet switch you have the factory OEM SECURITY SYSTEM (Keyless Entry). This is not a real alarm although it works like one. However, there is no shock sensor and no passive alarming. dsmercado, the alarm you are talking about is a real alarm INSTALLED by the dealer. This does not neccessarily mean its a factory alarm. All dealers have thier own choice of alarms to install but they usually program it with the factory oem keyless entry remote. Hope this clears things up.
That makes sense...I was starting to wonder why it was different...Thanks for the clarification...
Old 03-26-2001, 08:06 AM

Re: Maxima alarms and window control

Originally posted by Gary95
Concerning the '95-'96 Maximas, the alarm operates as follows: 1) Single click of "Lock" button arms the car, 2) Single click of unlock button just unlocks the Driver's door (alarm is now disarmed), 3) Double click of unlock button unlocks all doors, and 4) Holding down unlock button will roll windows down. They do not go up remotely, but you might be able to buy a module that allows for this (or you'll have to replace your system).

When locking the car, there is no chirp. Personally, I like this as it does not grab attention ("Oh, this guy just left his car"). The alarm works pretty well and will certainly go off no matter who tries to break into it. The professional thief will disable it about 1 minute after breaking in, while the average thief will most likely get frustrated and run. A more expensive alarm system will discourage the professional who can most likely find a Maxima with a stock alarm system (just make sure the upgraded alarm shows a difference!).

If you are in a high crime area like NYC, upgrade your alarm for peace of mind. I would also put in an additional ignition cut off switch.

~Gary
Thanks,
but speaking of which, what's the best place to place the cut-off switch? From what I've been told, putting it near the seat does not make sense as it can (and will) be found there easily, putting it in the remote place like the trunk makes extremely inconvenient...so, what are other suggestions?
Also, what do you guys think of the gearshift lock? can it be built in into the panel? I've seen something like that in a Honda once.. Having too many big metal locks is not really convinient...

Thanks
Old 03-26-2001, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by dsmercado

That makes sense...I was starting to wonder why it was different...Thanks for the clarification...

There we have it. Your dealer was obviously more security-conscious than mine. BTW I'm in Austin TX.