4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested? (read below)
Yes
62.50%
No
12.50%
Maybe
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Gauging Interest - Suspension Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:42 AM
^ Jeff™

Gauging Interest - Suspension Gurus

A friend of mine (Josh - nolanspawn) is affiliated with AWR (Anthony Woodford Racing) out of California. They currently specialize solely in suspensions. They work with Mazdas in the form of Protege/RX-7/Miatas and would love to enter the Maxima world.

That’s where I come in.

I need to collect some info and there is no better way than to contact my fellow Maxima owners directly.

Right now they are looking into developing Motor Mounts and Rear Sway Bars that will definitely be better priced than what is currently out there.

Here are some example pics of their work…these pics are for the Ford Probe.

Motor Mounts

Sway Bars

-What size are the sway bars that we already have available? I saw 7/8” (22mm) bars but wouldn’t those be too stiff? Right now AWR makes sway bars with both 19mm and 21.5mm thickness.

Pricing for the Probe Motor Mounts run about $145...well below the current price I have seen online for Maximas (~$240).

Lastly, please vote above if you think this may or may not be something many of you might be interested in. I will definitely vouch for my friend and his friend’s workmanship, AWR is a very reputable business.

Thank you,
Jeff
Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the post Jeff. Tony Woodford and I would like to be able to offer products at a very competative price compared to other in the Maxima market. As Jeff stated our mounts for the Proteges, Mx-s's, 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Probes run in the range of $145 including shipping. For those who dont know of Tony Woodford he learned his craft from an old-world master... from restoring vintage sports cars and building one-off aluminum prototypes, to forming compound curves, molding fiberglass and carbon, and redesigning vintage racers to compete against technologically advanced models, he developed technical expertise and meticulous fabrication skills that would be sought after by premier auto racing operations and enthusiasts.

In 1986 Tony focused on the auto-racing field, joining various SCCA Racing Teams, including Overton Autosport — an IMSA GTU team. From 1989 to 1993, he worked with Nissan Performance Technology, which fielded a successful GTP Team with drivers such as Chip Robinson. This was followed by heavy involvement with Formula Atlantic Professional teams.

Tony founded AWR in 1995, and quickly developed a relationship with Mazda Competition Parts, a division of Mazda North American Operations, (now known as MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development), developing various parts for the grassroots racing industry. He then designed and prototyped a rotary powered Formula Atlantic race car, creating a powerful and efficient rotary solution to compete with Toyota power plants. There are now several Rotary-Powered Atlantic’s campaigning in the Sports Car Club of America.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think more competitively priced motor mounts might sell well here. In fact I'm filling mine this weekend with Polyurethane because I didn't want to spend over 200 bucks on a set.

It's a little harder to say with sway bars since several are available and at reasonable prices. What could set yours apart would be high quality with adjustability for a reasonable price.

I doubt you will find anyone complaining about more choices on anything though.

Just my $.02
Old 05-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Conecarver

I agree with MAXimumHP. Most depends on AWR's expectations of volume the expect to move.

Motor mounts - PlaceRacing exists now. Poly filling is very easy & effective. EnergySusp is bringing new product to market as I type.

RASB - we have a good selection incl Addco, Progress, Stillen, and even 2 custom sources I know of. It would be nice to have something more adjustable than the Stillen though. Maybe a solid vs hollow bar. Different diams and urethane shores for the mounts if used?

I'd love to see a 4th gen bushing set come out. It's unkown if ES will support the 4th gen application at this point.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:06 AM
^ Jeff™

Cool...Josh, keep us posted on what AWR decides ok?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for not updating you guys....we havent done anymore poking and proding into your market yet. Things have been extremely busy over at AWR. All sway bars made by AWR are solid bars ot hollow....are all the bars on the market now hollow? Also with mounts we work with Energy Suspension on some things....are they making mounts for you guys are just suspension bushings for control arms and such?

Josh
Old 06-25-2004, 11:31 PM

The only parts that Energy lists for a 4th Gen Maxima are :
1) Front sway bar inner bushings #7.5118
2) Front sway bar end link bushings #4803G
3) Front control arm bushing kit #7.3111

The only thing missing on the front end would be the steering rack bushings. Not likely to get alot of interest, but I'd have a set if they were ever available. Or possibly a solid, ball jointed sway bar end link, eliminating the bushings entirely. Anything to tighten up that steering!

The Strut Assemblies.
In the front and rear strut/shock assemblies, a complete set of poly or poly/carbon bushings, spring seat isolators, coil isolators and maybe bump-stops (many people already use the KYB strut boots with integrated bump stops) would be nice. All as an option to the OEM rubber for those of us that replace all the soft bits when we change struts or springs.

The Rear End!
As for the rear end there are, to my knowledge, no bushings available period. Even OEM. If you want to replace the rear trailing arm, lateral link, and control rod bushings it requires replacing the entire beam, link and control rod assembly. A $450+ adventure in waste! Maybe the bushings are captured in the manufacturing process and cannot be removed without destroying the beam, though I doubt this as the same silliness applies to the front control arm bushing and ball joint. Nissan would have us replace the entire control arm if the bushings /ball joints were worn.

Rear Sway bars.
Addco, Progress/Cattman and Stillen have that pretty much wrapped up.
With the Addco and Progress it would be nice to have some cleaner looking mounting hardware. The beam mount could be neater with a centered bushing instead of an offset. The trailing arm mount needs to be offset, but the hardware could be a little less universal. Oblong fastener holes seem like a fix for poor measurement to me.
That said, my issues with the sway bars are purely cosmetic. The 7/8" bar from anyone works wonders.

Motor mounts at a reasonable price would be nice too. Mine are likely getting tired at 136k. Lastly, and this would be the very last thing one might do (though it might be the first thing anyone should do), body to subframe mount bushings. I believe there are 4 up front and ?? in the rear.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also try posting interest in the GD section you, since most people who are looking to buy stuff there will better answer your question on wheter or not they will buy it.

Proph