4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help Me!!!

My Car won't start!!
I put the key in the ignition and it will turn over but won't start. (sometimes it sounds like it wants to start.... but then fails.) I have checked the spark plugs (they are fine i can see a spark and i smell gas) ..any suggestions .... i have a new starter installed also.. It's a a 95 Maxima
Old 05-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i don't think you can tell if the spark plugs are good because you can smell gas...2 different things. Did you check to see if you have spark? (my mr2 had this problem recently) Did you get a CEL? make sure the distributor isn't loose! (like mine was!!!!).
Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by shaklar
i don't think you can tell if the spark plugs are good because you can smell gas...2 different things. Did you check to see if you have spark? (my mr2 had this problem recently) Did you get a CEL? make sure the distributor isn't loose! (like mine was!!!!).

lol.. I ment I can smell gas on the plugs and I can see a spark.. I have a CEL..my distibuter isn't loose either..
Old 05-17-2004, 08:00 AM

There has been alot of posts lately, so scroll back a few days. Plus check the stickies as they have some good info. You do need to see if the sparkplugs have spark. I'd do what nissan says and try cranking with acclerator pressure. Other options if the battery is ok, and spins the engine fast is the starter-which you have replaced. Make sure all fuses are good. Make sure all relays are good under the hood. Consider moving the main wire harness abit, and cranking in case it has a cracked wire. Turn the ignition to ON and make sure the CEL comes on, if it doesn't then relays or computers may be the problem. This could also be a crank position sensor or other sensor problem which will cause it not to start due to no spark. Also try cranking in P or N.