4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Some interesting info between intrax and eibach drops

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Some interesting info between intrax and eibach drops

Back in the day I wanted a low drop but with a soft ride, you know looks. I had a 96 auto, so I chose Intrax springs. Then I met a fellow orger and he has a 96 auto with Eibachs. When comparing the cars side by side the wheel gaps for the Intrax were much lower in the rear, but the front was very close to the same. The front bumpers were just about dead even, b/c the Eibachs sat higher in the rear.

Well now that I have a 98 5 spd I wanted something really stiff with a small drop, you know handling. I went ahead and bought the Eibachs. I threw them in and BAM! Hella stiff (of course). Now none of this seems like a shock but here’s the kicker: I decided to install the Intrax in the front only leaving the Eibachs in the rear. My results are not as expected. I measured front gap from the top of the center cap to the fender well staying parallel with the strut. With Eibachs my front wheel gap was 13 ¼ " and 13 ¾ ". Then I measured the Intrax (the same way with the car in the same spot in my driveway) 13 ¾ " and 13 ¼ " (both average out to 13 ½”). Essentially there is no difference in ride height between the front springs.

So is Eibach's drop lower then 1.5" or is Intrax's drop less then 1.7"? Well I misplaced the stock measurements of my 98 but I have the 96 measurements. The front is 15” (remember this is for an auto making the gap slightly less) and the rear is 14 9/16”. That’s a reduction of 1 ½” front and 1 ¼” rear. So the Eibachs are the specified drop and the Intrax are higher. Amazing.

Note: I didn’t measure the Intrax drop for the rear but I assure you it’s about a 1 finger gap probably lower then 1.7”.

On a side note I have KYB AGX struts. I set the fronts on 2 with the Eibachs and 4 with the Intrax. Seriously now the Intrax handles better on the highway. Also the stiffer strut setting makes the front absorb bumps better in the city. But if I had the Eibachs set with 4 they are like rails and could out handle the Intrax with out looking back.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

interesting, im not surprised really. most spring manufactures dont stay exact to spec, some lower some higher. very nice that you were able to test both out
Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
Back in the day I wanted a low drop but with a soft ride, you know looks. I had a 96 auto, so I chose Intrax springs. Then I met a fellow orger and he has a 96 auto with Eibachs. When comparing the cars side by side the wheel gaps for the Intrax were much lower in the rear, but the front was very close to the same. The front bumpers were just about dead even, b/c the Eibachs sat higher in the rear.

Well now that I have a 98 5 spd I wanted something really stiff with a small drop, you know handling. I went ahead and bought the Eibachs. I threw them in and BAM! Hella stiff (of course). Now none of this seems like a shock but here’s the kicker: I decided to install the Intrax in the front only leaving the Eibachs in the rear. My results are not as expected. I measured front gap from the top of the center cap to the fender well staying parallel with the strut. With Eibachs my front wheel gap was 13 ¼ " and 13 ¾ ". Then I measured the Intrax (the same way with the car in the same spot in my driveway) 13 ¾ " and 13 ¼ " (both average out to 13 ½”). Essentially there is no difference in ride height between the front springs.

So is Eibach's drop lower then 1.5" or is Intrax's drop less then 1.7"? Well I misplaced the stock measurements of my 98 but I have the 96 measurements. The front is 15” (remember this is for an auto making the gap slightly less) and the rear is 14 9/16”. That’s a reduction of 1 ½” front and 1 ¼” rear. So the Eibachs are the specified drop and the Intrax are higher. Amazing.

Note: I didn’t measure the Intrax drop for the rear but I assure you it’s about a 1 finger gap probably lower then 1.7”.

On a side note I have KYB AGX struts. I set the fronts on 2 with the Eibachs and 4 with the Intrax. Seriously now the Intrax handles better on the highway. Also the stiffer strut setting makes the front absorb bumps better in the city. But if I had the Eibachs set with 4 they are like rails and could out handle the Intrax with out looking back.
As far as i can recall the reason you are noticing a greater drop with the eibachs than advertised is because there were two versions of Pro-Kit Springs created for our cars......I believe the pre-1998 eibachs have a drop that looks simaler to what they advertise...1.3F and 1.5R....
The second version of the eibachs look a great deal better appearance wise, but i do not believe they changed the advertised ride height. If i ever get to insure my maxima again then ill be looking for those "2nd gen" eibachs for my car....I think someone mentioned a while back about the drop looking like something in between an intrax and an H&R drop.......I still have yet to see any pics of so called 1st gen and 2nd gen eibach wheel gaps.....but from my memory two kits with different drops exist.....gratz if your car looks low on eibachs, because i heard some people had to cut their springs in order to get that low look.....
Old 05-19-2004, 09:28 AM

Interesting information.
Thanks for the time you put in for the research.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Still riding on the intrax/eibach combo......and I do like the less harsh ride of the Intrax. to bad they didnt get the rear springs right. Im probably going to put the eibachs back in just cuz they are more performace orented and match the rears.