4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Afterfires are loud. Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:13 PM

Afterfires are loud. Help!!!!!!!

Okay, so if anyone actually read any of my previous posts, I've been having a lot of transmission problems. 2 Shattered transmissions and 2 good transmissions later, I now have a complete car.

And it won't run.

Here's what's going on: Everything is connected, everything is exactly how it was (or so we think) as it was before the trans swap started. Now that we have a good transmission in the car, we can't get it started. The fuel pump is working, we have spark, we just don't have liftoff. The engine cranks like a **** too. When trying to start the engine, the tach is bouncing between 2,500rpm and 3,000rpm as well. Very weird. I'm wondering if it's a Crank Position Sensor problem or a timing problem (yeah, similar/same thing.)

When the first of the transmissions went in, I had a slight problem with getting the car running, but when she started, it ran like butta. Now all I get are backfires and afterfires. It's really getting me mad/confused.

Please help. No freaking flaming like normal too. This is a serious problem.

P.S. I can't get my headlights to light either. All of the fuses are fine, and I can't figure it out. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the ignition problem.

Edit: I did read the damn FAQ. And why does it say "I need to read the FAQ blah blah blah" under my name?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:50 AM

Sounds like a crank position sensor to me, that would explain the ignition fires at random times. See if you can read any codes out of the ECU.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:35 AM

In the 2 hours of sleep I got last night, I was thinking... could the starter have been connected backwards?

**and to think I avoided touching wiring for this exact reason**

Thanks for the reply. It definitely seems like the most obvious answer. Now to find out and find out how.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Zigg
In the 2 hours of sleep I got last night, I was thinking... could the starter have been connected backwards?

Thanks for the reply. It definitely seems like the most obvious answer. Now to find out and find out how.
Since the starter is a DC motor, if you change the polarity then it will run in the opposite direction. I don't know if the solenoid will operate if the polarity is reversed, but this is definitely something to check. And like drewm said, a bad CPS will give you problems like what you are having, too.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:56 AM

Is there an easy fix? And do you know why this would have happened during the tranny job? Would not having a battery on a modded car for 2 or 3 weeks have caused it? I'm really lost as to why it's doing this.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck with the tranny problems. Don't worry about the message under your name. Everyone gets that untill you reach 50 posts (I think it's 50?). Anyway, definitely pull the codes from the ECU. It's very easy to do and there's a step-by-step in the FAQs. Here's a link: http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html
Good luck, again.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zigg

A starter connected backward would also produce these symptoms too.