4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check up on the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check up on the maxima

School is done with... the max was not treated to well since I go from home to school every weekend which like like 100 miles... so i've been putin' some miles on it... but I am puttin' everything together again for summer.... rims may be going back on depend if I wanna sell them or not... also I have some important questions....

First... i'm gonna get an oil change... people said to use the OEM filter and use castro oil... i'm a noob at changing oil... hopefully it won't be too hard with some kind of directions...

Second... summer is here.. and i've been turnin' on my AC.. but everytime I turn it on.. i hear a weird noise in the engine bay coming from the Pulleys i think... not sure... but it's making a sqeaky noise everytime i turn it on...

Third... my car has been hard to start sometimes... There was some acid corrioson on the battery but I cleaned that up.. and it still acts kinda weird..
I've gotten a new starter... so that shouldn't be a problem... not sure how or where I should start... maybe you guys can help!

Forth... in the rear... i've been also hearin' a weird noise... especially driving when it's wet or right after it rained... it happens when I start the car from stop going at a slow speed... i hear a deep noise sounding like something is grinding together!

Thank you org members!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:05 PM

(1). OIL has to be oem filter.

-> Directons on how to change oil. Jack up car in the right spots. (usually located by drivers side door peek under till you see the frame and it will have an indentation A.K.A upside down U's on this frame part, put the jack right there to lift.) Get a metric socket set and a pan for the oil. Side underneath the car (Make sure you have your E-Brake up) and locate the oil plug. Its located right on the oil pan. Make sure you have the right socket and Turn towards your LEFT (Righty tighty lefty loosey.) Clean the threads of the oil plug and inspect them to see if they are worn, stripped or damaged in any way. Once oil has completely drained, clean the oil pan area where plug goes and retighten the plug (Snug the plug dont over tighten, the reason you clean that area is for to check for any leaks when you start the car.)

->OIL Filter Should be removed and put back only with your hands DONT over tighten the filter. Let oil drain and MAKE sure you see the gasket on old the oil filter. (It can get suck onto the oil filter unit and without notice you will have a major leak once new filter is on.) Add fresh or old oil to the new gasket of the oid filter and put it back on by hand. Again clean the area to check for leaks.

->Once thats done double check everything make sure everything is on snuged. Add the proper oil and oil quarts. Once you have added oil turn on your car for a few sec's and check for leaks. After that check your oil level see if you need to add more.

(2). That noise you hear is coming from your AC belt running the AC Compressor. Replace your AC compressor belt and inspect your pullies for any adnormal signs of wearness and also clean it free of dirt.

(3). Clean your TB. Maybe thats the problem of your car not starting up right away. Double check your battery termenals make sure you have good metal to metal contact. Let your car warm up when you start it. Can be that you need a tune up. Check into that. Make sure you do a tune up and clean your TB then it will start up like a champ.

(4). Check your rear brakes and rotors. Your rear pads may be running low and the senors are hitting letting you know that your low on pads. Check the rotor to see any groves. If you do notice any that means you ran very low on pads and the outcome of that is that the pads run into the rotors leaving deep groves. To repair that simply buy new rotors or resurface the old ones. If you dont replace/resurface your rotor and just put new pads on the pads will conform into those groves and they will waist a lot faster.

Umm I hope this helps you a lot. Im pretty sure on all of them that those are your problems and if im wrong im sure another org member will correct me. Take care and good luck with everything.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Now thats a thorough response..... +1 to everything he said.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the oil the bolt size is 14mm. If you had somebody else do your oil last you may want to get a filter wrench. I had firestone do it (no way I was laying in the snow during the winter) and when I changed it the other day I couldn't get the filter off, so my step-dad got it off with some trick he knew using a hammer and screw-driver to tap it.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Another trick to get a stubborn filter off is to get a large screw driver, and puncture the filter so the screwdriver goes in one side and comes out the other (make sure you do this towards the back end of the filter so you don't damage the threads of the part the filter screws on to) and then you can use the screwdriver ends as two handles to twist the old filter off...

Its just another reason not to take your car in for oil changes to an oil change place - they almost always overtighten the filter and the drain plug.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:30 PM

SMX95, I appreciate all the input... hopefully my car will run good next time this is all done... will do all this during the weekend when I come home from school.. and thank you all for the input!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:32 PM

Change engine coolant every 30,000 miles

how do i empty it?

and how do i tighten my throttle cables?

Jeff (redmaxpa007) use to help me out with a lot of these stuff but since he has moved... i'm on my own :-)
Old 05-26-2004, 03:34 PM

(1). To remove engine coolant is just like what I said about with jacking the car up. Again you need to pan to drain all the coolant. Im sure its theres a bolt on the lower cornor of the radiator or simply remove the lower hose that connects to the lowest point of the radiator. Now once its drained *PLEASE KEEP AWAY FROM ANIMALS BECAUSE IT HAS A SWEET SMELL AND THEY WILL DRINK IT AND YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME :x * Put back the hose/bolt which ever you took out. Then open up the radiator cap and pour in the new coolent, and make sure you have 50/50 mix with the correct coolent. You will need to start your car and pour in more coolent. The reason for this is because there can be air in the system that needs to be removed and also you must make sure you have full coolent.
This process with the car running might take some time. Please be patient because the coolent takes time to go completely down, then just pour more in. Once the coolent doesnt go down anymore then your full. Keep on eye on your H & C gauge. Make sure its at normal temp. Make sure your Heating system works.

(2). To tighten cables, umm to tell you the truth I really dont know because I havent learned this yet. I know for a fact that one cable is your gas pedal and the other wire is Cruise control. Maybe you can adjust the wire from your gas pedal? Just pull the wire tighter behind the gas pedal and once you have it where its good enough just put it back together. If you go over board im sure its going to effect your idle/rpms. Well again I hope this helps. I havent done neither of those 2 on a maxima but have done coolent jobs on other cars. Im not 100% sure on the cable wire tho you might want to take a look under your pedal and see if it is the gas cable and not the cruise control cable thats loose.