4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

critical decision: 97+ front convertion + stillen lip or part out and leave the org?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 05:03 PM
V^___^V

critical decision: 97+ front convertion + stillen lip or part out and leave the org?

first of all, i apologize for not being around the org lately and providing my help and opinions around 4th gen. most of you know i've come a long way on maxima.org.... i've been doing a lot of thinking last week cuz i feel somewhat empty after all these mods.

i'm not in debt or anything... i'm actually working 3 jobs this summer and trying to save up some $$, as well as supporting my girlfriend's tuition and apartment rent. (she's a fob too...just came from taiwan and trying very hard here) yes my front-end wreckage still there. body work ain't cheap. if i save up a good $1500 i can get a quality 97+ front-end convertion + stillen lip, CF hood, and new fender done.

if not...most likely i'm gonna part out my car and sell all my mods to you orgers for reasonable price, and then spend less time on the org...

so help me out here...what do you guys think?
Old 05-30-2004, 05:10 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

stay around bro, you are helpful to many!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:20 PM

hey i got bills up the @$$ and a dent that i can't stop looking at and it sucks for me because its right on my front fender and cracked all the way down my bumper so just fix your ride i wanna see a CF hood!!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

come on...happyricefob. You should stay around, man. I know where you are coming from. The modding game can be very expensive but the conversion would be more fulfilling in the end. You could actually have this as your last mod or something.

I never like reading threads about losing members.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Always sunny in philly

Although you are a very helpful here on the org, you gotta do what is in YOUR best interest.

As you know, modding only goes a long way- its either save up money or continue modding.

the decision is yours my friend
Old 05-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Doc

I back any decision you make. You have to look at the whole picture and determine what your true priorities are at this time. If I were single with no children, my Max would be number one, however, it is not the case. Good luck with whatever you decide. Just make the decision and stick by it because you will be happy you did in the long run.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:19 PM

GET LOST!!!!!!!!!

nah im jus kidding man watever u decise to do i hope u can stick around, i remember getting alot of help from you and im sure others have been helped by you also. if you decide to get something else why not a 5th gen, that way you can be right next door to us on the ORG. good luck man, hope to see you around here!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Jedi Knight

Keep the car and fix it as you go...you don't need to fix it all at once..why not get the body parts...then get it painted, then get the CF hood..
Old 05-30-2004, 07:06 PM

dude if you don't need the money bad, then don't part out your car. I think you should get the conversion and stick around on the org, just don't post so much you are killing the server

JK
Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 PM

I'm in a similar boat. I have two choices, one being that I continue with my Max and spend $5k on a fully built 5-speed that will get me into the 13's, or spend about the same and get a Civic hatch-back and run low 13's or high 12's stock. By the way I just ran into a curb today and scratched my bumper all up. Its Polyurithane though so at least it didn't break. But now thats even more money that I have to spend on getting my front end repainted. Man, I don't want to give up my Max after all of my hard work and dedication, but evey corner I turn there are civics killing Mustangs and Camaros and the Honda regime is starting to look very tempting. Please somebody help me quick before I become a trader and join the enemy.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:04 PM

Buy a WRX if you sell your car. Forget a civic. FAAART.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:19 PM

I don't mean to turn this into a personal life thread but are you sure that supporting your girlfriend is the right thing to do? Is she also working 3 jobs to pay her tuition and rent? If not, I would want to know why if I were you. Just looking out for you, no disrespect meant to either party.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:37 PM

did the mod bug just died inside of you?
you are probably very stressed right now with life, and the car doesn't look like is your top priority.
take a break from the the .org gather your money enjoin your life with out the .org then when you are ready, come back with your tail between your legs. back to the club.

Got it!!!!
gui
Old 05-31-2004, 05:44 PM
I need a truck

It'll cost less money to fix it than to buy a new car, plus less trouble. I did the 97-99 front conversion by myself and it's a pretty easy task.. But do whatever you feel is best.

IMO, if you're doing all this "fundraising" than spending money on a new car wouldn't be my first choice
Old 05-31-2004, 05:50 PM

"its cheaper to keep her" -johnny taylor.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:41 PM

Hey man, i don't know you (probably because i haven't been here all that long)... but i just had a look-si at your max-i and it's pretty nice...

i say just get that thang repaired and stay with the .Org.

But as everyone else has said, and as i'm sure you're well aware, it's your call
Old 05-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

Originally Posted by 98maxblackwind
"its cheaper to keep her" -johnny taylor.
i agree but its your situation not ours. look at the big picture think it through. you would know better than any one of us.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=NISMOJDMMAX] spend about the same and get a Civic hatch-back and run low 13's or high 12's stock. QUOTE]

What STOCK civic runs 13's or high 12's ???

-matt
Old 05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
V^___^V

thx guys....
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Hella internets

Ok hold up, yea i member you telling me "something" bout your gf a while back...now your paying her tuition? maybe im fuzed but...holdup...next time i c you on AIM.. we gota talk...lol

stay on the org for christz sake! dont sell the max...i can speek for the rest of us... the maxima resale value SUCKS! it sucks BALLZ specially if you payed anything over 8g for it when you got it... cause they are like 5 or 7k now..

so you selling it for something else...cmon now what car are you gona get for that much that is gona beat the max? not just in speed but in everything else it has to offer...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 AM

Well,

Too be honest if you were to leave it would be a great loss cause the majority of users on these forums ask the same questions like "what kinda of oil do I put in" It gets annoying..

So its a breath of fresh air when you get someone who knows what the hell their talking about and can help you out.

But if you decied to leave thats cool too.,.

I could use some of that stuff that you got.. hahah

Proph
Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 AM

Do what you wanna do...If I were you I would fix the Max and keep it as long as I could. You paid/are paying for it, so use it till it dies.

You've helped me out a bunch...plus everyone needs a fob around stay around dude
Old 06-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by takentomax
I never like reading threads about losing members.

the org has got your back , hang in there...
Old 06-01-2004, 03:29 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

you do what you gotta do kevin, im sure you'll be fine no matter which route you take, however i have to agree with Weasel. Also, if she is so important to you, screw the car, and put your efforts into helping yourself and her, thats just what i would do.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:56 AM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ap+rear+bumper

Cheap and good parts for your conversion.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:57 AM

who says you have to mod? Im starting to think about other things to spend my money on rather than "what mod to do next"
Old 06-01-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
who says you have to mod? Im starting to think about other things to spend my money on rather than "what mod to do next"
I am actually thinking the same thing you are, Nismo. I need to be spending my money on a lot of other things rather than just, "What is my next mon." That philosophy has been fun, but I have to start thinking of other things. I am about to get a house, and other stuff comes first.

Happyricefob, I know that you have been very helpful to me around here on the .org and I appreciate it. Do what you need to do though, man. I will hate to see you go, but if you must and you think that is best, do it.

I think if you are having to work 3 jobs, getting something new right now it not the greatest idea....or even newer. That is, unless it is like a little civic or something that gets like 35mpg. I mean, gas is ridiculous.

I have even been thinking of getting a beater car to drive all the time that gets really good gas mileage and then have the max for a fun afternoon.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

hey - just a word of economic advice... if things are tough financially - just do what you have to do to get your car back on the road (so that its safe to drive)... i know we all have a lot of pride in our cars and its part of the maxima-virus we all have - but think about it, even stock (like my GLE is), our cars are fast, comfortable even against todays newer cars they kick some serious A**...

It just doesn't make any financial sense - especially since you are already working so hard - to unload the max and take on another car payment (new or used - it doesn't make a difference).

Just take some time off modding for now - its amazing how much easier things look just a few days later...

It would be sad to see you go.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

njmodi: a 97 gle is not really fast at all...i know all about em...lame suspension, slow **** shifting tranny that doesn't know when to downshift.

to the poster of this thread: i assume you don't like the skyline front bumper. it would be cheaper then a 97 conversion + lip + paint. just an idea. also i think cars without full body kits look bad...sort of...unfinished. if i were you i'd say ditch to cf hood(gives you an extra 500 to throw at a bodykit) go with a full body kit of your liking with a fully replaced front bumper...i like the octane front myself...good luck with whatever your decision..
Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Not fast at all? I think thats a bit harsh.... are they the fastest sedans on the road, no, but they are definitely quicker than most family sedans of their generation/age... again the point here is not that the maxima can't be made faster/better looking.. its a financial point... sometimes shaving 1/2 second of 0-60 or making heads turn when you drive by because your car looks good has to take a backseat to the realities of life and the expenses that you can't do without - the basics of life... it seems to me that happyricefob needs to get the basics under control before worrying too much about CF hoods and front-end conversions... not to say that those mods are not worth their money. My point was that modding his car should not be his priority right now... especially if he is choosing between keep-it-and-modi-it or get another car...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

its obvious he is done with the car. he only enjoys adding the next mod to it to give him a reason to hold onto it longer, and the community which he now exists in would be different with him not owning a max.... at least thats what i think.

i still think my gle is slow after a vb/y/i/e/diet.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM

I say do the conversion if you are really wanting to since the front is messed up.
Then, just stop modding for a while/indefinitely. I mean, you will have the car looking like you want it to, and you don't really need the stillen lip anyway. They are cool, but not necessary at all. I kind of wanted one, but I have to stop throwing money away on stuff at some point.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:14 PM

spend your money on what makes you happy...

because we are not rich by what we posses but rather by what we can do without.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 PM

hey happy!!..
I'll do you a favor ...just send your gf over here and i'll take care of her for a while so u can mod without any hesitation....
Old 06-01-2004, 04:24 PM

u already know my response fob...u gotta stay!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
brotherhood of tq

hey fob, two sundays ago i really wanted to get ride of my max after the trannie gave out on me. i also got tired of not being as fast as some of my other friends. but while ive been driving other cars since my car has been broke and i miss my car like its a drug.( by the way my other cars are a c280 and a landcrusier) theres something so fun in driving a car that i worked on myself( and lost blood while working on myself). but i read that you have many other things to pay for and helping out your girl is way more important then modding any car. i saw u drive the car as is and buy parts to fix it up from a junk yard or something and just keep it unpainted until u have more cash laying around. i wish u well guy.

will