4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need New Exhaust... Plz Help!!! No Search Option Available...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004 | 08:40 PM

Need New Exhaust... Plz Help!!! No Search Option Available...

Hey all. First off i have a 98 Maxima SE that is completly stock as of right now. I've come into some money which is going to allow me to do a complete tuneup on my car along with some other maintenance stuff that needs to be done but i'm needing some exhaust info. I've found several threads talking about the different exhaust setups and all this but everyone has their own seperate opinion and none of it seems to really help me out not to mention i can't use the search option so it's harder to find info... What i'm looking at doing is for sure getting a Y-pipe and then getting some sort of catback setup... I've got a few questions though..

Y-Pipes:
I've heard some make wierd noises etc and everything and i've seen several different brands mentioned like stillen, warpspeed, budget etc... What's the difference and if i'm not limited by money which would be the best one?

Catback, etc:
I've seen many people complain about loudness,riceness(sp?),annoying exhaust setups and i can understand that cause i hear it all the time from 4 bangers. What i'm looking for is a "rich" sound so to speak i guess that is somewhat deep. I don't mind if it is somewhat loud because i know that with putting the Y-Pipe on it it will be louder but i just want something that sounds good and not like the annoying bees in a can 4 bangers. I've heard people say just to take it to a muffler shop and have them do a custom catback setup for me but if i do that then what kind of muffler should i get? I've heard people talk about some that are quiet and some that are loud or deeper sounding. A guy in my town has a Borla muffler of some sort in his 2002 maxima and it sounds really good but i'm not sure what one to get.

Sorry this is so long... Any help/suggestions/advice/whatever you wanna give would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2004 | 09:30 PM

Here you go

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaYpipes

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaCatbacks

or the whole 9...

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaFullExhaust

That should get you started, good luck with it

Keir
Old 05-30-2004 | 10:58 PM

go on this web site it should help u find any part u need for ur max
www.custommaxima.com
Old 05-31-2004 | 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I think i'm gonna go with the Catman Y-Pipe but i'm gonna talk to my local muffler shop about what to do about catback stuff etc... If he says to get one of these pre-fab ones then i'll most likely go with OBX i guess. I'm thinking about getting the Frankencar intake also....
Old 06-02-2004 | 11:50 AM

Well the muffler shop said they'd charge me about 100 to 110 dollars to put on a Y-Pipe, run pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler (which i will supply the muffler). Now i've just gotta decide on a muffler and if i want to get a new catalytic convertor or not... Is there any significant reason why i should get a new catalytic convertor instead of keeping the old one?
Old 06-02-2004 | 12:48 PM

the only reason to change ur cat. conv. would be to free up some extra power.. but not much. U can get a free flowing after market cat.. but I dont think it will free up much power, if any.

What do you guys think about the frankencar muffler?