4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose h/u screwing up, what are my replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 AM
is craving Bojangles

Bose h/u screwing up, what are my replacement options?

So my bose head unit has seen its last days. It constantly skips over the smallest bumps and ill get the infamous CD ERR message everynow and then. So im looking to replace it but I need to know what to replace it with. Should i get a direct replacement from the dealer, search around the classifieds for a decent used bose replacement, or skip the bose all together and get a new non-factory head unit. If i get a new non-bose one what do you reccomend? I dont mind a double din or just single but either way i dont wanna spend more then $300 for one.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Just get some aftermarket MP3 player. Keep in mind you'll need to get an adapter that lets it work with the BOSE speakers/amps. I have a clarion and I love it. Clarions usually have a high RMS rating and have a very good noise ratio, 100+DB.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:58 PM

yeah go aftermarket. But look around for that adapter. Places around me wanted like 120 buks for the thing and I eventually got it from crutchfield for like 40.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Or get a replacement Bose HU that will plug into your existing system... they run anywhere from 100-150 bucks shipped... thats the path I'm going to take since I want to keep the factory look... (my HU just crapped out on me a week ago too)...
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 AM

if you do end up getting an aftermarket deck, go with eclipse.. at your local dealer - should be around 200-300 max for a good one.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the Bose and (like many orgers) prefer to save my money.
FIX your old HU by changing some of the resistors (look on the how to's) I fixed my HU and I had the exact same problems (when going over a small lump on the street the CD would skip for all the freaking time)
total cost of repair.
solder ($19)
resistors ($1)
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Guinader
I like the Bose and (like many orgers) prefer to save my money.
FIX your old HU by changing some of the resistors (look on the how to's) I fixed my HU and I had the exact same problems (when going over a small lump on the street the CD would skip for all the freaking time)
total cost of repair.
solder ($19)
resistors ($1)

Can you point me to those instructions? Would love to fix my occasional "CD ERR".

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Do I get a tax break?

The instructions are in the FAQ or Howtos at the top of the 4th Gen forum... if I remember correctly.. (just open up those two threads and search for Bose using your browsers search function).

Has anyone fixed the constant CD err problem? Mine does not play at all.. I don't think its a bad resistor in my case - I think it might be the laser pickup... anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose/replace that component..
Old 06-02-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
The instructions are in the FAQ or Howtos at the top of the 4th Gen forum... if I remember correctly.. (just open up those two threads and search for Bose using your browsers search function).

Has anyone fixed the constant CD err problem? Mine does not play at all.. I don't think its a bad resistor in my case - I think it might be the laser pickup... anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose/replace that component..
Don't think it's the laser, there's a small circuit board that sits on the bottom of the Bose, some member here discovered that it was responsible for that error. It's in the audo section..buried somehwere there. It's been awhile since i checked it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I did find the original Bose HU repair thread in which madchef and vikter outline some of the fixes - but I think those fixes mainly targetting the lack of sound and display... but I could be wrong...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My CD drive motor died on my original 95 Bose unit. You can try eBay, but of course buyer beware!

Aftermarket is ok. If you want to retain both CD and tape, there are few Double DINS left out there and they all stick out. I replaced mine with a Sony 4500 Double-DIN and it looks a little dopey because it is silver, sticks out about a 1/8th of an inch when everything used to be flush and black, but it works fairly ok.

That adapter is the killer. Also, you will have to fine tune the settings to get the right sound because BOSE uses a completely different set of algorithms for the signal and current.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:24 PM

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/fixes.html

The "CD ERR" problem can be fixed btw.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM

I just bought my first maxima (95) and the original Bose head unit that was in it had display problems, it would never work, so I could never see what station or track I was on. When I went to replace it, I could not get any power to the aftermarket unit. Since it wasn't working I decided to just put the Bose unit in till I had some free time to fix what the problems were. But when I went to re-install it, the unit did not work. I have checked all the fuses and such, but when I plug it back in the security light on my dash flashes several times very quickly. I was wondering if I had set off the security on the Bose. And if so, how do I find the codes for it, or what else could I do. If worse comes to worse, I will just splice the power from cigarette lighter to the new unit, but will that turn the bose amps on? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:51 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i would go after market....i did and it is much better.....i got the interface adaptor to make the bose work for $20 at a local audio shop.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by MadChef
http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/fixes.html

The "CD ERR" problem can be fixed btw.
MadChef - are you saying that even the CD ERR problem - in which I insert a CD, it spins for a few seconds and then gets ejected (for me every time).. is also related to the same power-board - and thats what I need to resolder all the components on?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
MadChef - are you saying that even the CD ERR problem - in which I insert a CD, it spins for a few seconds and then gets ejected (for me every time).. is also related to the same power-board - and thats what I need to resolder all the components on?
Yes

Originally Posted by DenimDan
but when I plug it back in the security light on my dash flashes several times very quickly. I was wondering if I had set off the security on the Bose. And if so, how do I find the codes for it, or what else could I do.
The flashing of the security light is normal. I belive that means that you put the plugs in the wrong order. You can ignore that, it doesn't matter.
Also, there is no security for the Bose that I am aware of. No codes, or anything of that nature.
I would test to make sure that the head unit is getting power at all.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Thanks - I'll try that let you know how it ends up working out...