4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Friends..my MAX is counting on your feedback! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Friends..my MAX is counting on your feedback! :-)

I have a 99 SE with 64k. I have done the 60k service, but my car feels really sluggish. In addition to the 60K servie I have cleaned my TB. The one thing I did not do which my mechanic recommended was a BG induction system cleaning. So now sometimes my car drives fine. Other times, it drives like it's going to die.

I originally thought it might be a partially bad KS, but the last time I took it to the dealership they couldn't pull any codes from the ECU. Obviously my CEL is not on. If I have a partially working KS, would also throw the ghost code randomly?

Also, since all of this powerloss, my tranny has been acting really sluggish as well. Could they be related? My tranny has been a bit jerky!

These are things that I have not done:
- Change KS
- Change O2 Sensors
- Clean IAC

Any thoughts or suggestions?? Please!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The faqs have a whole right up on the KS (including partially working ones). They also have info on how to check codes yourself which will tell you if you should replace the O2's. I wouldn't think the IAC could make the car slow since it controls the idle (so poor idle but not poor performance) however I could be wrong about that.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Do I get a tax break?

What do you mean by sluggish... do you run 91 Octane (or higher)... did you do the 60k service at the dealer.
What was done as part of the 60k service ?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:57 AM

Yeah, have fun bro. Its your ignition coils. I have a 99 too and they suck. Nissan should have recalled them, but they didn't. Don't bother trying to do the tests that are listed on the org, doesn't help in determining a bad coil. Sometimes the dealership can tell, but only if you get a CEL. Otherwise, don't go to them either. I've replaced two coils so far, and now another is going, but I don't know which one....so I'll have to replace all of them and be done with the problem.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:47 PM

Wow! That sucks. But at the same time, I would rather it be the coil packs then the transmission or something. See I'm at the point where I'm going to either dump this car or invest some money in to it and run it to the ground. I used to have a 97 SE with higher mileage and it ran like butter, but this one has been a bust since the day I bought it.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=njmodi]What do you mean by sluggish... do you run 91 Octane (or higher)... did you do the 60k service at the dealer.
What was done as part of the 60k service ?[/QUOTE=njmodi]

By sluggish I mean that I really have to lay on the gas pedal to get it to go. It feels as though all of my torque is gone:-( Like I have no power under 3000rpm. And yes, I use premium gas only. At 60K, I had plugs changed, PCV valve changed, Fuel Filter changed, tranny flushed and radiator flushed. The only thing I didn't do was have them do the BG induction cleaning service and new belts put which my mechanic said I can get away with for a while. But this damn thing won't throw a CEL so I could at least find out what the deal is. I'm really hoping it's not the Tranny. If I could determine that then I can at least rest a little easier.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:58 PM

One other thing, tonight I noticed that when i start the car, there is this faint whistling noise coming from the engine bay.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:08 PM

Go to AutoZone, O'Rielly's and have them check the ECU with an ODB sensor for free. They will tell you the codes for free.

Use high quality gas and check out that KS however most KS's go out around 80k to 100k

Proph
Old 06-05-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
Go to AutoZone, O'Rielly's and have them check the ECU with an ODB sensor for free. They will tell you the codes for free.

Use high quality gas and check out that KS however most KS's go out around 80k to 100k

Proph
Actually I was at the dealer like 3 weeks ago and they claim the ECU wasn't throwing any codes. Not sure if they were just blowing me off or what.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

I've had a Nissan dealer tell me there were no codes because the CEL wasn't on. (total bull****-- they can be stored without the light ever being on)
As for the whistling, it may be your drive belts (worn, too loose, too tight)
Old 06-06-2004, 06:06 AM

Actually its what Shift_Power said. My car has been feeling sluggish for a while and I had the ks code. I changed the ks sensor and got a tune up. 2weeks later my check engine light came on and yesterday my car started missfiring. Took it to Jeff at Maximumtuning and he told me its my ignition coils. I have a dead misfire in cylnder #5 and I'm running really rich. So the car is down until I get brand new coils. I'm going to replace them all at once. I could tell something was going to go wrong with my car from just the way it performed, moderate power loss. So Check your coils because this could prevent further headaches in the future
Old 06-06-2004, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy1

Proph

not always i thought my knocksensor was bad so i replaced it but it wasn't and my car has 101,000 miles. 99 SE-L's just suck my car is down on power too don't know why, i have done the B&g induction cleaning, full tune up, plugs wires, (NGK plats), new fuel filter, new knock sensor. coolant flush and i use mobil ! funll synthetic. car runs and drives fine but i know the power isn't there. the tune up and b&G was done after i had the car dynoed and i am going to redyno next saturday. here is a link to my old thread.i have just cone to terms with the fact my car makes less power for no apparent reason.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=305422
Old 06-06-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by PharoNDmist
Actually its what Shift_Power said. My car has been feeling sluggish for a while and I had the ks code. I changed the ks sensor and got a tune up. 2weeks later my check engine light came on and yesterday my car started missfiring. Took it to Jeff at Maximumtuning and he told me its my ignition coils. I have a dead misfire in cylnder #5 and I'm running really rich. So the car is down until I get brand new coils. I'm going to replace them all at once. I could tell something was going to go wrong with my car from just the way it performed, moderate power loss. So Check your coils because this could prevent further headaches in the future

did you have any codes maybe this is what's wrong with my car also?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:31 AM

If you have a code, you're "lucky" because then you can actually isolate that cylinder and replace that coil. However, it has to become really bad before you will get a constant CEL - mine would flash at me, then go away. Sucks. Mostly, it just gets so frustrating that you wind up either replacing all coils (which you will do anyways - thanks f@king Nissan) or just start guessing.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Still kickin'

i think one way you can tell what coil is bad is by looking at the plugs. i would look for ones with alot of carbon buildup from unburned fuel caking on them. Don't quote me on that, but it might work. You can tell alot about how a car is running from looking at the plugs.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by zack342
did you have any codes maybe this is what's wrong with my car also?
Yes I had the ks code, changed that and the code went away. Then Two weeks later(yesterday) My CEL was flashing at me when I was driving. Took it to Jeff and thats when he told me I had a missfire and my o2 sensors were reading high. My car is running really rich now.