4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Piece of **** O2 Sensor! Rant.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Old Timer

Piece of **** O2 Sensor! Rant.

OK. SO I was throwing some codes. Knock Sensor was cahngedin a matter of 15 minutes which is cool cause I thought that would be the hard one. Well, I get to the O2 sensor. I thought this would be a piece of cake cause I moved it when I put on my Y-pipe right....... Wrong! So I've got an O2 sensor socket which should make it a piece of cake. Well.... The damn thing has a slit down the side so that the wires can slide through it to get it around the sensor. Well, when I started loosening the bolts, everything was going good, til it started getting harder and harder. All I can think of is that the carbon has built up on the part of the threads that is inside the exhaust making it hard to come out. Well, I keep cranking on it, but then the ****ing socket starts to expand where the slit in it is. Next thing I know, the damn thing slips. Yep. Started to round of the damn threads. Now I'm really getting ****ed. I think to myself, I'll just cut the wires on the old O2 sensor and use a regular socket to get the old O2 sensor out. Wellllll............. I ain't got a 7/8ths in the damn toolbox. Now I'm raving. Soooo Today when I take the company car to work, I'll be stopping by Napa to pick up a damn 7/8ths deep socket so that I can finish changing out this piece of **** O2 sensor at 2AM tomorrow morning.

David (Ranting *** mother ****er) Warner
Old 06-04-2004, 10:18 AM

haha, that sux ***
Old 06-04-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

Owned! hehe. "don't arrest me!"

I usually just use a big cresent wrench. One idea is to loosen it and spray a bunch of WD40 or something on the threads. Then tighten it back down/loosen it/spray more/repeat. Maybe that will dissolve some of the carbon/junk. You don't want to ruin the threads on the bung hole! haha.

I think you are gonna have a nice time undoing the 02 sensor harness. I think there's one or two clips that are impossible to undo
Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Old Timer

The harness? Screw that. When I cut the wires off the o2 sensor, I unplugged the harness at the top, and then I jerked that ***** out of there.

As for the WD40, I ain't got anymore of that in the garage either. ****es me off.

David

Don't get me started Jeff. ha ha
Old 06-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Old Timer

OK. Finally got it fixed. Just went and picked up some PB B'Laster, and a different style O2 socket. Damn thing came right out. As for the PB B'Laster. That stuff is amazing.

David
Old 06-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by d_warner

David (Ranting *** mother ****er) Warner
Ha, Ha, same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Project for the night was knock sensor and install a Technosquare ECU. I figured the knock sensor would be the hardest thing (had the wife help me with her small hands) had that done in 10 minutes.

Then I started on the ECU. WTF are you serious, there is no way in hell you can get a screw driver in to get those little screws. So I get the first screw out with some needle nose plyers. Then I tackle the back screw, well the needle nose plyers aren't cutting it (and of course I am crammed on the floor inbetween my seat and the firewall.) So I rig up a socket and phillips bit with some electrical tape (for good grip) and get the rear one out, now on to the passenger side. The tool I created worked for the front screw but the back screw had about a millimeters distance between it and the firewall. Nothing worked, so I tackled the two 10 millimeter bolts. That was a pain but I finally got them. I was able to move the ECU mount enough to get the last little screw out. Finally victory!! But now I had to find an impossible way to get the 10mm bolts in place without dropping them all while working in about an inch of space and laying on the floor of the car all crapmed up (which of course I did drop them, both of them, underneath the carpet (pick up tool made it no problem but still it was a hassle getting them in.)

Got everything back together but man I was p^ssed that night.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Dude ever heard of a wrench? I also wasted my money on the damn O2 socket just to realize I had to take it off the bolt every half turn cause the wires would get tangled around the socket.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully the wifey will understand we she needs help with the little one.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Old Timer

OK. Just FYI, never use the black O2 soket that has the offset rachet square. Use the long chrome vanadium socket. It doesn't expand at the gap.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:25 PM
^ Jeff™

haha...'company car'

I get to have fun tonight trying to mess with Dwayne's front o2 sensor and a Cattman header bolt problem.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Old Timer

Yeah. I just read that in the "other" forums.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM

yeah arent those ecu removals just so much fun. When i took out my ECU to get it upgrade i felt like blowing up my car because how stupid the engineers made it to remove the sucker. I was ****ed for hours