4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wht do you guys think of this Maxima??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wht do you guys think of this Maxima??

Hello Maxima Enthusiasts!

EXCELLENT WEBSITE! I float around on many differnt car forums (Saab, BMW, Mercedes (x2), Lexus, and now Maxima), but this one seems to have TONNES and TONNES of posts! Very active site! I love the DIY section . . . very nice! I wish that was in all of the other forums I am on.

Anyways, I have been shopping for a car for my brother in law for about two months now, and we finally found a good one in his price range . . . none other than a Nissan Maxima! I want to know what you guys think of the car. We put a deposit down, but can still back out if we really need to. Please let me know what we should look for before actually purchasing the car.

Year: 1996
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Model Detail: GLE (I think?)
Price: $7,995CAN ($5,800US)
Mileage: 120,000km (75,000miles)
Ad Type: Dealer
Comment: Fully equipped, 1 owner, leather, pwr sunroof, cd, pw, pdl, tilt, cruise, alloys, air, sporty 5 spd, heated seats & more.

Anyways, I went and actually looked at the car. Abosultely mint! Black on black leather. The interior looked brand new, as did the exterior (except for a few minor stone chips and a scratch in the back bumper which they are having repaired). I drove the car, and the 5-speed is amazing! I myself have a manual 1992 Lexus ES300 and it doesn't even compare to the power of the Maxima (even though they have pretty similar horsepower ratings). It has automatic climate control as well . . . I thought that was only available on the I30. The engine was nice and quiet as well (very comparable tomy Lexus which is also very quiet).

Overall, I was impressed! What do you guys think of this car? And what should we look for (problem wise) before actually picking up the car?

Regards,
Bryan
Old 06-09-2004, 07:16 AM

5-speed GLE?
yah i dont think its a GLE it sounds like a SE. however it sounds like a real nice car.
do the usual inspections, kick tires, check for puddle of oil under car.
you know the usual stuff.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:17 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Welcome to the org, bdonkersgoed!

Sounds like the GLE version as you've mentioned that its got the automatic climate control but if its got the white dash gauges then its an SE model.

Here's a link to the Toronto Maxima group: http://www.torontomaxima.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

There was an alternator recall a few years back. Check the history to see if the alternator has been replaced
Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think it is basically a GLE (Leather, Climate Control, etc.) except that it is a 5-speed instead of automatic (which I prefer!).

The instrument cluster dials are white. . . what colour are they on the GLE?

Regards,
Bryan
Old 06-09-2004, 08:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by bdonkersgoed
I think it is basically a GLE (Leather, Climate Control, etc.) except that it is a 5-speed instead of automatic (which I prefer!).

The instrument cluster dials are white. . . what colour are they on the GLE?

Regards,
Bryan
Hey Bryan
Unless mods have been done to the car you've got the SE model there. The dash gauges are black on both the GXE and GLE. I'll bet you've got the 5 spoke rims as well.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yahp you have an SE. GLEs traditonally have black dials with white lettering.

Dont be ****ed though because the SE's with all the options are nice. Plus you got the stick so you got what most people want.

Also to answer your question, This is what I tell everyone. Get your CarFax, Get your Edmunds report for price. Take the car get a mechanical report before you sign the check. Wash the car to reveal any blemishes that may be hidden with dirt.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

GLE's dont come 5 spd unless modified. Check for white gauges, if tehy are white it's an SE
Old 06-09-2004, 09:01 AM

Sounds Sweet especially if it's an SE.
Maybe pull any ECU codes lurking in there and drive the dealer crazy!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:30 AM

5 speed SE with leather and climate control with only 120,000kms, check for any major accidents if not buy it you won't regret it thats a great price for a clean Max good luck
Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 AM

FYI -- I have a 97 SE with almost another 100K Kms on it -- love the max!!!

if the car is legit (those KMs seem low), then go for it!

finally, get your but over to TorontoMaxima.com!

FLO_BOY
Old 06-10-2004, 06:15 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

According to my 1997 Nissan Maxima brochure the 5 speed tranny is not offered on the GLE.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BlackCat
According to my 1997 Nissan Maxima brochure the 5 speed tranny is not offered on the GLE.
I have (what i thought) was a 95 GLE and its a five speed. I got it from my aunt and i KNOW she didnt do anything to it mod wise. Its got the silver door handles, had black gauge cluster, no leather and no auto climate control. I know this cant be a GXE but i also know its not a SE. So what is it? lol. Ive got a confused max... :-(
Old 06-10-2004, 09:02 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by wishinmusician2
I have (what i thought) was a 95 GLE and its a five speed. I got it from my aunt and i KNOW she didnt do anything to it mod wise. Its got the silver door handles, had black gauge cluster, no leather and no auto climate control. I know this cant be a GXE but i also know its not a SE. So what is it? lol. Ive got a confused max... :-(
According to my 1997 brochure chrome door handles and chrome front grilles are found on the GXE and GLE models. The SE model has them as body colored. Automatic climate control is available only to the GLE while the SE gets it too if you opt for the SE leather package. In 1998 the automatic climate control became standard on the base SE (without leather).
That means you've got the GXE model there.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 AM

cant be a GLE if it is a 5 speed unless it has been converted
Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! I couldn't believe how many people replied in such a little time. I wish that all boards were this active

Anyways, we did Carfax and everything and it all pulled up clean. My brother-in-law (BIL) has a neighbour who actually owns a Nissan Dealership, and he checked the VIN with Nissan and it came up clean there too.

The car was previously owned by the dealer's mother. She also drives a Porsche Boxter which explains the low mileage. They said that the maintenance records will come with the car, and they are even giving us $200 for my BIL's 1989 Ford Probe, which I wouldn't take if someone paid me! It is a POS, and the gas in the tank is worth more than the entire car

The seller told us that there was an incident where the side of the car went into a chain-link fence or something, and the pint was scratched up badly. The entire car was repainted, and it looks mint.

You guys aer right, it must be an SE . . . I just assume GLE because of the leather. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best model of Maxima that you can get . . . I absolutely love the five-speed! Sadly, the car does not have five-spoke rims . . . they look like the standard rims on the car.

Anyways, thanks once again for the replies! We pick up the car either tonight or tomorrow night. The car also come with a bumper-to-bumper warranty for three months, so if there is anything wrong, it will be fixed anyways We will be sure to get the warranty in writing

Regards,
Bryan
Old 06-10-2004, 09:54 AM

sounds good to me, see if the guy has some service records to get a general idea of how well the car was kept mechanically.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Sadly, the car does not have five-spoke rims . . . they look like the standard rims on the car.
Not sure what you mean by standard rims, Bryan....
Steelies perhaps? Maybe the 5 spoke rims were stolen off of it?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:15 AM

If it's a 96 SE it would have the sawblades from factory
Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah . . . they are kind of like sawblades. They seem to be made of aluminum or steel or something. I don't like the rims, ut I can live with them

Regards,
Bryan
Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM

Sadly, the car does not have five-spoke rims . . . they look like the standard rims on the car.
The SE 5-star's only come on 97-99 SE models. I may be selling a set soon. There are usually some for sale for reletively cheap in the forsale forum. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 AM

I doubt seriously that they did a tranny swap, so I would say that is a SE. You cannot get a GLE in 5spd.

Sounds like a really nice ride.
I would pick that thing up of you drove it and all seems well. Don't let it get away from you.
You found yourself a pretty good mileage car too.

Oh......and welcome to the .org.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:39 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Yeah . . . they are kind of like sawblades. They seem to be made of aluminum or steel or something. I don't like the rims, ut I can live with them

Regards,
Bryan
Hah! I must have had a brain fart! I forgot that you had said it was a '96, not a '97! Sawblades for sure!

Anyways, have your brother-in-law hook up with us orgers when he picks up the Max!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:45 AM

So this is a Canandian car, right?! That's awesome if it is cause I think you also have the VLSD! Damn, how come those Canadians always get the better ebd of the deal? Oh well, anyways, congradulations on your purchase, you'll love the car more every day you drive it!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:50 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Linkage23
So this is a Canandian car, right?! That's awesome if it is cause I think you also have the VLSD! Damn, how come those Canadians always get the better ebd of the deal? Oh well, anyways, congradulations on your purchase, you'll love the car more every day you drive it!
I think it has to do with what most people outside of Canada think of our nation: Canada = snow
Old 06-10-2004, 10:55 AM

It sounds like you got a great deal......
Old 06-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

These replies are great! My BIL will be very pleased to read them, and I'm sure that he will become a regular poster on this board.

Sorry, but I don't know what VLSD stand for . . . since it refers to Canadians, do you mean the heated leather seats?

We are really excited to pick up the car. It is his favourite colour scheme (black/black) and has an awesome sporty leather interior.

We were initially looking at I30, but the ones that we looked at were all in terrible shape. The Maxima is by by the best condition car we had seen in our long time of searching. I think the Maxima is more sporty anyways . . . although my BIL doesn't like the rear deck spoiler. I think the car lokos great with the spoiler!

Anyways, thanks for your input!
Bryan
Old 06-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Viscous Limited Slip Differential.

Keeps you with positive traction...esp in the snow.