4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

One-touch Sun-roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:57 PM

does anybody know how to wire the sunroof to open w/just one-touch of the button, like the new Toyota Solara's are! I think this would be cool, that way I wouldn't have to hold up my arm for soooooo long!(im lazy i guess) so if any of you electronic wizards have done this, or can figure out how, Please tell me!
Old 03-28-2001, 08:55 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

Originally posted by pawn
does anybody know how to wire the sunroof to open w/just one-touch of the button, like the new Toyota Solara's are! I think this would be cool, that way I wouldn't have to hold up my arm for soooooo long!(im lazy i guess) so if any of you electronic wizards have done this, or can figure out how, Please tell me!
They'll probly figure it out as soon as they figure out how to rewire to make the horn beep with the factory keyless!

Old 03-28-2001, 08:56 PM

I have a 96 and it opens with one touch now. Maybe mine is special but i thought all 95-99s did that.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by DCmax
I have a 96 and it opens with one touch now. Maybe mine is special but i thought all 95-99s did that.
are you sure it's not a aftermarket sunroof....becuase none from the factory from 95-99 have that.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:10 PM

Its a 96 GXE that i bought completely stock....

Im almost positive it isnt aftermarket. I bought it used from a Nissan dealer with 40,000 miles on it 2 years ago. It only had one previous owner which was a middle aged woman.

I just hit the sun roof buttom once and it opens all the way. If i hit it again i can stop it wherever i want, if i dont want it open all the way.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:12 PM

Woman comment

Im not being sexist when i say that it was owned by a middle aged woman. I know there are many very knowledgeable female maxima owners, especially on this board.

Just a disclaimer, i love women, i mean no disrespect.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:00 AM

Please let me know if im wrong or not, but didnt the factory sunroof only come with the SE and GLE?
Old 03-29-2001, 06:05 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by DSimple1
Please let me know if im wrong or not, but didnt the factory sunroof only come with the SE and GLE?
Correct, Sunroof only came on the SE/GLE models....not available on the GXE.

The 2000 Maximas and above have the One touch open and close...

Old 03-29-2001, 06:47 AM

What does the switch for the 2K+ models look like? If they are kind of similar...
BTW, how often are you opening and closing the sunroof that the ten seconds of having your hand up cause a problem?
Old 03-29-2001, 06:52 AM

Actually, the 2000 Maxima GXEs can have sunroof as on option, except that the car must be equipped with automatic trans. and the C&C package first. It's on the brochure and the Nissan website.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:52 AM

GOD DAMN IT

This happens all the time, someone asks something and instead of trying to figure out how to do this, people start talking bout other stuff. Can somebody who has done this or know how to do this reply? This is very important since summer is on its way. I dont mean any disrespect to you guys, i have learned a lot from this place and would like to continue that so can we please stay on the topic. thanx
Old 03-29-2001, 07:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: GOD DAMN IT

Originally posted by 1Phat Max
This happens all the time, someone asks something and instead of trying to figure out how to do this, people start talking bout other stuff. Can somebody who has done this or know how to do this reply? This is very important since summer is on its way. I dont mean any disrespect to you guys, i have learned a lot from this place and would like to continue that so can we please stay on the topic. thanx
The switch can not be changed out with a 2k modul. We tried this when they first came out. The motor has to be replaced too because it has a sensor that knows when its opened or closed all the way.

Old 03-29-2001, 07:34 AM

Russ, a sunroof IS an option for GXEs too >>

Only if the car is equipped with the Security, Comfort and Convenience package.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:26 AM

Yep

Correct Albertt, that is the package I have
Old 03-29-2001, 01:13 PM

We were discussing switching out sunroof switches and are still talking about sunroofs. Still on topic. A suggestion, offer a 'car friend' $100 to come up with a switch system for you. I'm pretty sure it can be done with some electronics knowledge and some money. Or JUST ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A CAR THAT DOESN'T HAVE A ONE TOUCH SUNROOF! Be happy that you have the hole in the roof in the first place.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
We were discussing switching out sunroof switches and are still talking about sunroofs. Still on topic. A suggestion, offer a 'car friend' $100 to come up with a switch system for you. I'm pretty sure it can be done with some electronics knowledge and some money. Or JUST ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A CAR THAT DOESN'T HAVE A ONE TOUCH SUNROOF! Be happy that you have the hole in the roof in the first place.
I'm sure it can be done, assuming that a end position sensor (one for each end of travel) were included. Its just a matter of holding power to the motor until its at one end of travel.

I test drove this Mistubishi Diamante, and it had a mode where it remembers the position of the sunroof, and when you turn off the car, it closes it, and when you start it again, it reopens to the position it was in before. Get THAT for a neat mod!

Jack
Old 03-29-2001, 01:30 PM

Cool feature. How does the the auto window do this?
Old 03-29-2001, 01:49 PM

there was..

this exact question about a couple months ago, and the result was everyone got off topic exactly what we are doing right now, and he never got the answer.

BTW, my max had a sunroof and its a GXE.

GTR
Old 03-29-2001, 02:14 PM

Re: there was..

Originally posted by gtr_rider
this exact question about a couple months ago, and the result was everyone got off topic exactly what we are doing right now, and he never got the answer.

BTW, my max had a sunroof and its a GXE.

GTR
Ok, GTR, untwist yer undies, here comes the cavlry!

Go here:

http://csc.smsu.edu/~jack/temp/s-roof.jpg

Hows that? Thats my solution off the top of my head.

Jack
Old 03-29-2001, 03:55 PM

WTF

what is that image suppose to mean? any explanation on that?
Old 03-29-2001, 05:06 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

in response to the Diamante...

Ya but what if it rains while ur in the store or whatever, u turn it on and VOILA! water in ur lap... that would suck!

Old 03-29-2001, 06:45 PM

You need to get modulators to open and close the sunroof on a one touch system. Any good alarm shop should be able to do it. While they're at it they can add a feature to automatically close or open it while arming/disarming or from a button the alarm controller. Depending on if your alarm has certain common features.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
You need to get modulators to open and close the sunroof on a one touch system. Any good alarm shop should be able to do it. While they're at it they can add a feature to automatically close or open it while arming/disarming or from a button the alarm controller. Depending on if your alarm has certain common features.
Brianv...do you know anybody that has done this? or do you know how this is done? if so can you post that in your how2 section on your site...thanx
Old 03-29-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: in response to the Diamante...

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
Ya but what if it rains while ur in the store or whatever, u turn it on and VOILA! water in ur lap... that would suck!
(replying at risk of going off topic...)

It had three positions as I recall: open close and auto. I assume you take it off autob4 you start it back up.

Now, back to the topic...

My solution above was a bit hasty. I left out the part where you might wanna open it halfway. I'm sure a study of the 'auto' feature of the windows (as was said above somewhere) would be the key to the solution.

Jack
Old 03-29-2001, 11:38 PM

Hmm no I haven't done it, but I was going to have it done to my Acura Integra's Sunroof. You can get the modulators to do the same for windows as well. It's not something I'd take on myself, I would just go ahead and pay an alarm shop to do it.
Old 03-30-2001, 12:58 AM

auto power sunroof

ok, you guys are all being annoying and not getting to the real problem, how about this, I will come up with the way to do it, I'm at school and taking a circuit class

if I'm successfull at this, would you want a circuit diagram or would you rather have me make it and send it to you for couple of dollars?

give me at least 2 weeks to do this

Konstantin
Old 03-30-2001, 05:30 AM

Re: auto power sunroof

Originally posted by Vinipux
ok, you guys are all being annoying and not getting to the real problem, how about this, I will come up with the way to do it, I'm at school and taking a circuit class

if I'm successfull at this, would you want a circuit diagram or would you rather have me make it and send it to you for couple of dollars?

give me at least 2 weeks to do this

Konstantin
Cool let us know when you ready......thanx
Old 03-30-2001, 06:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are ways to do this, but it would be a lot of work

to the guy in circuits class: look into using a 555 timer in astable mode; then you will need a resistor and cap in there to control the output time and if your sunroof works like a 3rd gens does, you will also need a relay to invert the voltage since the timer gives a + out voltage and the sunroof uses a ground input from the switch

overall, the parts shouldn't cost you more than $5 total, but the wiring will be a little bit of a pain
Old 03-30-2001, 07:58 AM

I vote that we just open and close it by hand.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by BrianV
You can't add that feature on our sunroofs. I talked to 2 alarm shops and they said it would burn out our motors.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:47 PM

Audi A6

The Audi has a very nice sunroof switch. It's a round dial that you turn to set the open/close position. If you turn the dial all the way, the sunroof would open all the way without having to hold the switch. If you turn the dial half way, the sunroof opens half way. The same theory applies when you close it.

But I still chose to buy the Max over the Audi.
Old 03-31-2001, 01:27 AM

VW has that too

It's just a simple dial, but it solves these problems!

I dont mind holding the button to have it open all the way...