4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I get a b-pipe and a cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now that I have the y-pipe, I wonder should I also get the b-pipe and cat to complete my exhaust system? I read a post before that stated that there's no real gain from a cat. Maybe I should just get a b-pipe? I heard there's some gain from that. How much does the Stillen b-pipe cost anyway? Thanks. I would like to get a Apex-i WS cat-back exhaust, but I don't like the finish of that exhaust. Any suggestions? I'm also planning to maybe replace my Focuz exhaust with an Apex-i N1 exhaust.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Now that I have the y-pipe, I wonder should I also get the b-pipe and cat to complete my exhaust system? I read a post before that stated that there's no real gain from a cat. Maybe I should just get a b-pipe? I heard there's some gain from that. How much does the Stillen b-pipe cost anyway? Thanks. I would like to get a Apex-i WS cat-back exhaust, but I don't like the finish of that exhaust. Any suggestions? I'm also planning to maybe replace my Focuz exhaust with an Apex-i N1 exhaust.
B-pipes are about ~200. The cat IMHO is a waste of money, especially in New Orleans. You can get a test pipe made less than $40, but you will have to change it out for your yearly inspections. It may also throw a ECM code, but you wont know if you dont try. Or you can buy an old cat from a junk yard and hollow it out.

I would get the b-pipe for sure. It is worth some HP. Stillens will be louder because it has no resonator, but I think it will fit better than my Courtsey Nissan pipe did.

I still have a stock GXE muffler so I cany help yoou their... I like it resonably quiet.

M
Old 03-29-2001, 02:32 PM

I've been told the B-pipe is a waste of $$$ and it doesnt really do too much. This is just what i heard from a couple of people with it. THey also said they didnt notice any great power increase. I've also heard that it made a big diff w/ other people. The only true way is to ask anyone who has done a dyno with it.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

B-pipes are about ~200. The cat IMHO is a waste of money, especially in New Orleans. You can get a test pipe made less than $40, but you will have to change it out for your yearly inspections. It may also throw a ECM code, but you wont know if you dont try. Or you can buy an old cat from a junk yard and hollow it out.

I would get the b-pipe for sure. It is worth some HP. Stillens will be louder because it has no resonator, but I think it will fit better than my Courtsey Nissan pipe did.

I still have a stock GXE muffler so I cany help yoou their... I like it resonably quiet.

M

Are you planning to get a different type of exhaust? The sound don't really bother me, I kind of like it, it's not really that loud. Unlike some Honda/Acura...just so darn loud, but they weren't going anywhere.

Well, I think I'll get the Stillen b-pipe then. How much do I expect to gain if I get a test pipe? Man, my car is going to be really loud if put both the b-pipe and test pipe in along with the already installed y-pipe.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:15 PM

Are you planning to get a different type of exhaust? The sound don't really bother me, I kind of like it, it's not really that loud. Unlike some Honda/Acura...just so darn loud, but they weren't going anywhere.

Well, I think I'll get the Stillen b-pipe then. How much do I expect to gain if I get a test pipe? Man, my car is going to be really loud if put both the b-pipe and test pipe in along with the already installed y-pipe.
It will complament your current exhaust mods well. I can show you my old one. It has some restrictive crimps. You can do the test pipe after the b-pipe. I'd be glad to help you with that, I know a shop that will make it up for me. A for a HP guestimate ~5 for the b-pipe and ~5 for the test pipe, but this may be at the expanse of a little low end torque. But dont worry the VQ needs the additional top end power, so IMHO loosing a little low end is worth some more top end.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:29 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Wait a minute youre saying a b pipe would make you lose torque? How is that possible? Is that true for other exaust mods, like a muffler? I thought you gained torque as well......

Old 03-29-2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Wait a minute youre saying a b pipe would make you lose torque? How is that possible? Is that true for other exaust mods, like a muffler? I thought you gained torque as well......
read this thread:
http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=28802
Old 03-29-2001, 09:00 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The guys that are still using the Courtesy provided extension piece with the B-pipe are the one's that aren't seeing any gains. I felt a nice gain in low to mid range grunt. My ets dropped by over .1 and I gained a consistent 1.5mph. This "gain" was seen in the first 1/8th mile which means I'm making more lowend. The B-pipe is worth it, especially with the Y-pipe.

Dave
Old 03-29-2001, 09:10 PM

It will complament your current exhaust mods well. I can show you my old one. It has some restrictive crimps. You can do the test pipe after the b-pipe. I'd be glad to help you with that, I know a shop that will make it up for me. A for a HP guestimate ~5 for the b-pipe and ~5 for the test pipe, but this may be at the expanse of a little low end torque. But dont worry the VQ needs the additional top end power, so IMHO loosing a little low end is worth some more top end.

You're right, the VQ definitely need some more top end power. I noticed my top end most definitely needs improvement. My low end power is pretty good now. However, top end needs work. I noticed this most often when I'm driving fast on the highway, the car just seem not to be pulling much at the high end even though I'm flooring it. Sure, my car does feel a bit stronger now, but I guess I thought my top end would be as strong as my low end power. Well, Stillen b-pipe it is. I'll contact you Matt when I'm ready for the test pipe. Thanks.

I wish I got the money for a supercharger.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
The guys that are still using the Courtesy provided extension piece with the B-pipe are the one's that aren't seeing any gains. I felt a nice gain in low to mid range grunt. My ets dropped by over .1 and I gained a consistent 1.5mph. This "gain" was seen in the first 1/8th mile which means I'm making more lowend. The B-pipe is worth it, especially with the Y-pipe.

Dave
when you say "lowend" do you mean lower overall speed in mph or lower engine speed in rpm? i'm talking about rpm, not mph. if you say you "gained" something in the first 1/8th mile then i suppose you are referring to overall speed in mph. however, the amount of exhaust that goes out of the engine at 30mph in 1st gear is the same as the amount produced at 60mph in 2nd gear and 80mph in 3rd gear. just because your car is moving faster doesn't mean it's taking in more air or producing more exhaust. it depends on engine speed. so i don't understand your logic when you said you gained "lowend" by looking at your 1/8 mile time. i think you gained in the 1/8th mile not because your lowend(rpm, not mph) torque increased but because your highend(rpm) torque increased.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:55 AM

B pipe is not a waste of money. It's one of those things that you need to get when creating a more efficient, free flowing exhaust system. I would leave the stock cat alone in a AT maxima, but if you're running NOS..go ahead and knock it out.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Synki
I've been told the B-pipe is a waste of $$$ and it doesnt really do too much. This is just what i heard from a couple of people with it. THey also said they didnt notice any great power increase. I've also heard that it made a big diff w/ other people. The only true way is to ask anyone who has done a dyno with it.
The B pipe in itself will yield gains not noticeable by the butt dyno. This is a mod that is best matched with a muffler section to make it a true catback upgrade. A a naturally aspirated 3.0L V6 engine, a catback upgrade will yield ~ 10-12 hp. The B pipe alone is worth 5-7 hp, an amount that most butt dynos can't perceive.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It is nearly impossible to gain any true topend with the VQ and that's the sad truth. Making power past 5800rpms will not happen unless you are running a SC. The 4th gen VQ intake manifold is what restricts topend flow. The manifold is a long runner design which increases low and mid range power. Short runners are what is needed to make power past 5800rpms which is what Nissan did with the 5th gen (a varible length long/short intake runner design). The SC actually pushes in a lot more air so it can overcome the runner design to a point. The Y-pipe "fattens" up power all thru out the rev range, but doesn't increase the VQs ability to increase flow past the intake manifolds design.

The B-pipe WILL gain you more lowend. My car was much stronger from idle to 4500 rpms. After that it's very hard to tell. Like I said, I've got the timeslips to prove the gains.

Dave
Old 03-30-2001, 11:21 PM

I'm definitely getting a Stillen b-pipe. However, I don't know if I should change out my universal Focuz exhaust. With the y-pipe installed, my car is loud. Let me clarify. If I punch it, the noise will be louder because of the CAI and y-pipe. When I'm cruising, especially when I start off, going around 1500-2000k rpms., there's this drone that's tend to get annoying. When I step on it, and the rpms rise, it get louder, but not the annoyingly loud sound when it's below 2k rpms. Anyway, I assume by getting a Stillen b-pipe, my exhaust system will get only louder, right? Any suggestions? Maybe get a 2k Maxima SE exhaust? If I get a Stillen b-pipe, won't it be useless/dumb to get an Apex-i WS exhaust because it's a cat-back exhaust?
Old 03-30-2001, 11:24 PM

It is nearly impossible to gain any true topend with the VQ and that's the sad truth. Making power past 5800rpms will not happen unless you are running a SC. The 4th gen VQ intake manifold is what restricts topend flow. The manifold is a long runner design which increases low and mid range power. Short runners are what is needed to make power past 5800rpms which is what Nissan did with the 5th gen (a varible length long/short intake runner design). The SC actually pushes in a lot more air so it can overcome the runner design to a point. The Y-pipe "fattens" up power all thru out the rev range, but doesn't increase the VQs ability to increase flow past the intake manifolds design.

The B-pipe WILL gain you more lowend. My car was much stronger from idle to 4500 rpms. After that it's very hard to tell. Like I said, I've got the timeslips to prove the gains.

Dave
I'm afraid you're right Dave. Unless I get a supercharger, my top end will never be how I want it to be. Then again, maybe I could wait for someone to develop a variable length long/short intake runner intake manifold?
Old 03-30-2001, 11:31 PM

Dave

i know you have the timeslips, but i'm wondering how is it you can tell that your gains in the 1/8 mile are attributed to more lowend torque(besides your butt dyno)?? i based my reasoning on exhaust theory and back pressure. you based it on 1/8 mile runs that really don't tell you whether or not your are gaining high end or low end. i'm not trying to start an argument, i'm just curious as to how this really works. i suppose the only way is to get on a dyno and do a run with stock b-pipe and a run with aftermarket b-pipe.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:35 PM

Dave
that is weird, how come i only have top end?? espeically 3rd gear??? hm.......that just me tho, but anyone else???
Old 03-30-2001, 11:35 PM

Will the b-pipe yield more performance with a 5speed then an auto?
Old 03-30-2001, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by black97max
Will the b-pipe yield more performance with a 5speed then an auto?
it's debatable... if you go with the assumption that a b-pipe adds high end torque, then whichever one spends more time in the higher rpms would have more performance gains. but if the gains are indeed in lowend, then whichever one spends more time in lower rpms has more gain.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:31 AM

I'm definitely getting a Stillen b-pipe. However, I don't know if I should change out my universal Focuz exhaust. With the y-pipe installed, my car is loud. Let me clarify. If I punch it, the noise will be louder because of the CAI and y-pipe. When I'm cruising, especially when I start off, going around 1500-2000k rpms., there's this drone that's tend to get annoying. When I step on it, and the rpms rise, it get louder, but not the annoyingly loud sound when it's below 2k rpms. Anyway, I assume by getting a Stillen b-pipe, my exhaust system will get only louder, right? Any suggestions? Maybe get a 2k Maxima SE exhaust? If I get a Stillen b-pipe, won't it be useless/dumb to get an Apex-i WS exhaust because it's a cat-back exhaust?
If you can get over the issue you have about the looks, I would think the APEXi WS would be bes, IMHO. Tell ya what though, I'll sell you my B-Pipe if you want it and I'll get the WS...
Old 03-31-2001, 07:44 AM

If you can get over the issue you have about the looks, I would think the APEXi WS would be bes, IMHO. Tell ya what though, I'll sell you my B-Pipe if you want it and I'll get the WS...

That's ok Matt. I think I'll get the Apexi WS cat-back. As far as looks, the WS isn't that bad either.

However, I'm wondering since the WS is a cat-back, is the piping of the WS better than the Stillen b-pipe? Similiar gain in performance I would think?
Old 03-31-2001, 07:48 AM

That's ok Matt. I think I'll get the Apexi WS cat-back. As far as looks, the WS isn't that bad either.

However, I'm wondering since the WS is a cat-back, is the piping of the WS better than the Stillen b-pipe? Similiar gain in performance I would think?
I would think so, Yes!
Old 03-31-2001, 09:08 AM

I too am thinking about that B pipe. I do not want anything thats loud. My car is already a tad bit louder with the Y pipe and ShopVac intake and now my 4" non resonated tip. I got some extra cash lying around too, and if it'll make a difference in performance I might as well do it. Unfortunately I have a 97 and it might not bolt up.. but I'll do some more research on this one. I do see the rather restrictive looking crimps on the OE B pipe. While I'm at it, I'll probably sand blast the OE muffler and give it a nice pretty paint job :-)

About the intake manifold, I too thought of the idea but after searching and reading

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

it just isnt worth the potential headache and cost. Unless somebody actually performs the mod and says "this is how its done in step A B C..." etc....
Old 03-31-2001, 12:50 PM

I would think so, Yes!

Matt, nice meeting your "BOSS" aka your son. Very cute kid.
Old 03-31-2001, 05:42 PM

Matt, nice meeting your "BOSS" aka your son. Very cute kid.
Thanks Michael! He keeps me movin thats for sure!

When I get the new garage in order I'll have to have you and Keith over for a "garage warming" party.

Matt