4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed the PCV grommet, now this....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Changed the PCV grommet, now this....

A few weeks ago, i decided to change the pcv valve in my max, sure enough, the thing was clogged up with junk, so i put the new one in, after a nice seafoam treatment, but i did notice that the grommet was in pretty bad shape, so i ordered a new one, but just put the pcv valve in the old one to hold me over... well the new grommet came, and i once again dissassembled a few things to get at the pcv, i pulled out the valve and saw that the old grommet was now half in and half out of the hole, i used my nice little stick with the small claws to reach down in and grab it, no luck, thing is wedged in, so, i took a flat head screwdriver to it to try and pop it out, and well, the top half came out, and the bottom went in... needless to say, i'm not suprised, and i hadn't cursed so loud in quite a while, i once again fished around with my little claw tool to try and grab it, but no dice, it just slid in the caseing towards the firewall, this is not good, this i know, but what apparently i need to take off the upper intake assembly to get at the cas in question, along with the other wires and such, is this something i can handle, or should i save myself and take one for the team and go to the dealer......any advice would help....
Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You could maybe just take off the TB or the IACV?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:24 PM

You might want to give a high power magnet a go before you start to disassemble. I've seen doctors work miracles with those things when children do stupid stuff like but bb's in there ears.

Sorry I just realized you were talking about the bottom half of the rubber gromet. I though you meant the PCV vavle itself fell in there. Please disregaurd the information I posted previously.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Try a shopvac - maybe make a custom tip with a funnel /piece of rubber hose and see if you can suck that piece out...
Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 AM

Posted by njmodi - Today at 09:51 AM
Try a shopvac - maybe make a custom tip with a funnel /piece of rubber hose and see if you can suck that piece out...

+1.........But if that dosent work, looks like youve got a nice weekend project
Old 06-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, i doubt the shopvac idea will work, main problem is that the grommet is ever so slightly bigger than the hole it fell in, its made to be compressed down for a good seal, so thats out,....i guess i'm gonna be taking a few things apart soon....thx ne way guys...pz