4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel filter accessibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 03:41 PM

I just had the dealer replace my fuel filter. It cost me $50 to replace. At the same time, I asked the dealer to reposition the bolts so it would be easily accessible from the drivers side. As many of you already know the fuel filter is right in front of the drivers side console, about 12-14 inches below. This position isn't very smart on Nissans part. DIY mechanics may have a difficlt time, as I did. As a tip, turn those bolts so it's accessible for you next time you change your filter. I've even heard of repositioning the filter by changing the lines.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:26 PM

$50 to replace fuel filter :(

Originally posted by max808
I just had the dealer replace my fuel filter. It cost me $50 to replace. At the same time, I asked the dealer to reposition the bolts so it would be easily accessible from the drivers side. As many of you already know the fuel filter is right in front of the drivers side console, about 12-14 inches below. This position isn't very smart on Nissans part. DIY mechanics may have a difficlt time, as I did. As a tip, turn those bolts so it's accessible for you next time you change your filter. I've even heard of repositioning the filter by changing the lines.
I've got a 97 Max SE and did the dirty job myself. Yes, it's a pain. Especially so if the filter has never been replaced. Don't think that mine was as it was a OEM filter and didn't look like any of the fasteners had been touched. Another clue was when I did get the darn thing off brown sludge came out of the inlet. BTW, I bought my Max used about a year ago when it had 49K. Had to wait a bit as Uncle Sam sent me to Bosnia for a few months to keep the peace Anyway, I bought a Deinst fuel filter and did it. Glad I've got small hands and thin wrists. It is a bear to do but for the price of $7 for the filter think it was worth while. Yes, I positioned the fasteners so it would be easier next time.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:55 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: $50 to replace fuel filter :(

Damn, $50 bucks for a part that cost $15 at the most.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:47 PM

$50????? I think you've been robbed. I spent $9 on the filter and 15 minutes of my time. Its a pain in the @ss to do, but its worth saving your $$
Old 03-30-2001, 01:08 AM

What's the procedure for changing the fuel filter? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by demian
What's the procedure for changing the fuel filter? Thanks.
Replacing the fuel filter is something which may be done by the home mechanic.
It is somewhat more difficult to reach if your Maxima is equipped with ABS.
It does not require any special tools. It does require manual dexterity and patience.

See http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/mega...0k_service.html
and scroll down to Step 3, Fuel Filter.

Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Changing the Fuel Filter
Old 03-30-2001, 09:34 AM

I believe he meant labor (including part?). I bought mine from Courtesy (forgot how much), and another $45 to have it installed. Just too lazy to do it myself....

Originally posted by Black97GLEnj
$50????? I think you've been robbed. I spent $9 on the filter and 15 minutes of my time. Its a pain in the @ss to do, but its worth saving your $$
Old 03-30-2001, 10:07 AM

It seems pleny of people have been having trouble with this. I personally had no trouble on my 99 Maxima. I also dont have ABS. If you dont have ABS, you should give it a try. I find it easier to pop the fuel filter out of the clip that holds it to the firewall and then i can turn the fuel filter to accrss the scrwes. The clamps are nothing more then phillips head. I will then sawp filter and put the hoses back on. I will tighten lightly and then pop the filter back into the clip. And i will move the clamps around till i have enough room to tighten. It took me only 5 mins to do this. BTW, get a catch pan so fuel doesnt get all over.
Old 03-30-2001, 02:55 PM

Re: Re: $50 to replace fuel filter :(

Originally posted by NickStam
Damn, $50 bucks for a part that cost $15 at the most.
It was $50 part and labor. I would do it myself but my girlfriend said I'm spending too much time working on my car. I guess $35 to spend 1/2 a day with her on the weekend isn't bad. What do you guys think? Next time I'm doing it myself, will see.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: $50 to replace fuel filter :(

That really depend on how serious with your girl.

One thing though, most girls will complain on guys about cars, either spend too much $$$ or time, or talk too much, or look too much....

It was $50 part and labor. I would do it myself but my girlfriend said I'm spending too much time working on my car. I guess $35 to spend 1/2 a day with her on the weekend isn't bad. What do you guys think? Next time I'm doing it myself, will see.
Old 03-30-2001, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: $50 to replace fuel filter :(

Spend some quality time with your girlfriend and save some money....have her "help" . Maybe you could explain it to her this way...."if I do it myself we'll be able to go out to dinner or to a movie with the $40 I save." Everyone wins. You get to do the work yourself (correctly) and get the enjoyment of doing it. Your girlfriend gets to know some of your passion and you both get to spend time together. WIN, WIN!
You young guys gotta start thinking with your heads now