4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

performance y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:07 AM

performance y pipe?

I am in need of a complete new exhaust for my 1996 max. I need from the ypipe back, including the cat. I want to gain some performance, but do not want added noise, or at least very little. Any ideas? I was thinking about maybe a performance ypipe, and get the rest stock. would that work? Any ideas or suggestions would be apreciated.
thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your best bet would to just get a y and maybe a aftermarket b-pipe. The muffler is what makes all the noise in the system. Using the stock one or 5th gen muffler would be the quietest catback there is.

Talk to Brudaddy he has done something like this to his car.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:24 AM

Who me? he he

Yeah, here is what you need to do to get about 15-20hp extra and not much extra noise.
1. y-pipe...I would get the Budget if you cannot get a Warpspeed group deal.....they are cheaper, but just as good.
2. don't replace the stock cat. This does not really add any hp, just adds a lot of noise.
3. don't replace the stock resonator(unless these are rusted)....you want this for a quiet ride.
4. Go to a local muffler shop and get them to custom bend you some 2.5" piping from the resonator back to the muffler. (should cost about $50)
5. Get a 5th gen muffler and put it on there. Only requires very little bumper modification. All you have to do it just use a file to file the hole a litte wider, not taller. Then, you are done.

That will help you out with the hp, and you will still have a stock-sounding ride.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Who me? he he

Yeah, here is what you need to do to get about 15-20hp extra and not much extra noise.
1. y-pipe...I would get the Budget if you cannot get a Warpspeed group deal.....they are cheaper, but just as good.
2. don't replace the stock cat. This does not really add any hp, just adds a lot of noise.
3. don't replace the stock resonator(unless these are rusted)....you want this for a quiet ride.
4. Go to a local muffler shop and get them to custom bend you some 2.5" piping from the resonator back to the muffler. (should cost about $50)
5. Get a 5th gen muffler and put it on there. Only requires very little bumper modification. All you have to do it just use a file to file the hole a litte wider, not taller. Then, you are done.

That will help you out with the hp, and you will still have a stock-sounding ride.

Hope this helps.
Does using a 5th gen muffler really make a difference? I was just going to get an OEM type muffler from a local shop, they are much cheaper than a real nissan one. Also, do you have any good websites which sell these parts? I will def search around, but you know of one off hand that would be helpful.
thanks a lot!!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Who me? he he

Hope this helps.

Is #4 the equvalent of a B-pipe while maintaining stock resonator??? does the $50 cover labor or parts and labor??

pd
Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo886
Does using a 5th gen muffler really make a difference? I was just going to get an OEM type muffler from a local shop, they are much cheaper than a real nissan one. Also, do you have any good websites which sell these parts? I will def search around, but you know of one off hand that would be helpful.
thanks a lot!!
I looked here on the .org in the classified and found a 5th gen muffler for like $100 shipped. They didn't charge me any extra to get it all welded together, since I was having him bend the pipe too. You could actually use your 4th gen stock one. They are pretty good, free-flowing mufflers and you would probably only lose like .5-1 hp if you kept the stock one. They would be quiet too.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
Is #4 the equvalent of a B-pipe while maintaining stock resonator??? does the $50 cover labor or parts and labor??

pd
Yes.
and yes.

I just went and asked them to bend some piping from the resonator back to the muffler(b-pipe) and they did it all for $50.

You might want to call around a couple of places and pit them against each other. I mean, stop by a couple of places and tell them what you want them to do and ask how much they think that would run you. Then, if it is not acceptable, just go somewhere else.