4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No more rice and noise! New catback with 5th Gen muffler (56K die)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No more rice and noise! New catback with 5th Gen muffler (56K die)

Last weekend I made a long trip to Worcester, MA from South CT (140 miles one way) to have new catback made and instaled.

It all came out superb. I am more than happy. First of all I got rid of that loud ricy noise from Ractive fartcan that was giving me headaches, secondly, I don't have b-pipe hitting against car body on every bump anymore, because previous catback was of extremely poor quality (I purchased car already with it). The guy in Worcester MA (Wally) did excellent job with me going around him, so I could see every little detail he was doing.

As to the sound now, car is real quiet, but when I step on it, it gives a nice deep growl with hacked airbox without resonators adding to it.

The only other issue I have now is to mask that precut hole in bumper for stock muffler, because of fittment issues those dual tips are right below bumper, so it looks kinda odd. I think about getting some plastic in home depot or whatever, cut it to fit, and paint it body color and just secure it in there with some srews. Or just widen the present cutout...

Thanks to kta920 for meeting up with and taking to the shop when I got lost and A32R for hooking me up with a good muffler.

Few pictures during and after installation:

Old 06-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you have to get the 5th gen muffler custom mounted to a warpspeed y? I have nothing else on my exhaust.

Give me the guy in Worcester's number if so. Thanks!

It looks good. I know nothing about welding but they look solid!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Sittin' On Chrome

looks good. how much did everything cost?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan
do you have to get the 5th gen muffler custom mounted to a warpspeed y? I have nothing else on my exhaust.

Give me the guy in Worcester's number if so. Thanks!

It looks good. I know nothing about welding but they look solid!
No, WS Y-pipe bolted without any trouble to cat and headers. 5th Gen muffler had to be cut and welded to B-pipe. Is that what you ask?

His number is 508-755-5874. Place is "Right Choice Exhaust" and guy name is Wally. It cost me $165 for everything including Magnaflow resonator. Muffler was my own. He can also get very good deals on any Magnaflow muffler. With his muffler and resonator it is only $250.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

are you planning on putting the little cross member back in?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Cross member?? There wasn't any. What do you mean?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Hey Vlad,glad it came out good.Thats I think 7 for 7 people I've sent there and all have liked the result.This guy is no joke,he makes almost no money on these things,thats how cheap they are.Everyone in MA area: Right Choice Exhaust 508-755-5874...ask for Wally.If you're goin in to do it,and want me to meet up with you if youre lost (cuz it is hard finding)let me know before you go in.Whenever I refer someone to him,I always stop by and keep you occupied so youre not just standin around bored.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I'm talking about the little metal bar that sits under the b pipe. Its right behind the resonator, b4 the 1st bend. The stock pipe has a crush in it to get good clearance around it. I was just wondering if you had put it back on and had no clearance issues.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM

Actually I never had it there and just now learned about it. I bought car already with catback so obviously previous owner removed it. Anyways, i would assume this is to prevent body rall, but I have no issues with it...

Thanks for info.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:36 PM

hmm so with the stock b-pipe, I'll have to weld the 5th gen muffler on to it to make it fit?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan
hmm so with the stock b-pipe, I'll have to weld the 5th gen muffler on to it to make it fit?
Yes, but while you are at it, you might as well get some 2.5" piping from the cat back or the resonator back to the muffler. He will barely charge you any more, and you are already down there welding it anyway. It should free up a lot more and give you like 5 more hp.

Congrats, Vlad. I remember telling you all about this, and it looks like it came out really well. I went the route of cutting my bumper a little wider so as not to look funny with the dual pipe muffler. I used a guy to this, but I would recommend you just do it yourself. He cut the hole higher, but upon further inspection, the height of the hole didn't need to move at all. I really thought I would be able to put the muffler a little higher up into the hole, but it still sat below the bumper. Anyway, it just needs to be made wider. I would just use a rile(rounded edge, of course) or a large rasp. It seems like it will take a while, but you should be more pleased with it that way. Also, with it down there that low, you cannot really even see that there is no paint on that little edge...and I have a red car.
Here is what it looks like: (Remember, the hole I have is not as straight as I wanted, but I cannot afford to do it all over again)
Old 06-16-2004, 03:46 PM

Thanks Bruce. Yes, I will get busy with this over the weekend.

As to the B-pipe, it is not stock. I wanted to go with 2,5" but thing is that 2K2 muffler inlet is only 2". So they guy cut the stock pipe on muffler right at the edge. Since Y-pipe at the cat is 2,5", he used 2,5" pipe to go out of the cat, then he put 2,5" Magnaflow resonator and out of it to the muffler pipe is 2,25". That way decrease in diamater is smoother and chance of backpressure much smaller.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:49 PM

i was wondering what shop is it? i live in randolph ma and i am looking for a place that will do a quality install? did you have the bpipe made there is looks like mandrel bends
Old 06-16-2004, 03:52 PM

maybe this is the answer i am looking for, i can purchase the greddy SP2 and have him modify it to fit my 99
Old 06-16-2004, 06:11 PM

No, it is wide bend. Bends are real smooth and no wrinkles whatsofever. He does a good quality work and can custom make you anything.

He also does custom Y-pipes with 2! flex sections of any diameter for about $250 installed.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
No, it is wide bend. Bends are real smooth and no wrinkles whatsofever. He does a good quality work and can custom make you anything.

He also does custom Y-pipes with 2! flex sections of any diameter for about $250 installed.
do you have any picd of how he welded the muffler up?
Old 06-18-2004, 01:21 PM

I have one pic of really crappy quality and it does not show too well. But weld is as good as the others.

If you still want, I can post it..
Old 06-18-2004, 02:57 PM

was that b piping stainless and i heard the magnaflow was quiet but now im hearing its loud....what is it? anyone have any sound clips
Old 06-18-2004, 03:36 PM

5th gen muffler with y-pipe, etc. sounds bad imo. It's quiet yes, but what you can hear is a high pitched whine from outside...i've heard it before.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:44 PM

I'm doing the same thing right now. Already got the 5th gen muffler on there.

Now I'm debating whether to order a WSP B-Pipe or have something cutom done.

Sound clips of your exhaust would greatly help my decision-making process.

BTW: The 5th gen muffler fit on my car fine. The bigass tip hangs lower and they recessed the muffler a little bit hanging it. If you stop and stare, you'll notice that something looks funny but I'm not real picky about that. Cutting out the bumper would just draw attention to it - so far no one I know has noticed it.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE
was that b piping stainless and i heard the magnaflow was quiet but now im hearing its loud....what is it? anyone have any sound clips
Nope, it's aluminized steel, but I am totally fine with it.
Magnaflow Mufflers may be loud because they are straight through design (depending on setup), but Magnaflow Resonators are doing a pretty good job killing sound.

Originally Posted by Ludacris
5th gen muffler with y-pipe, etc. sounds bad imo. It's quiet yes, but what you can hear is a high pitched whine from outside...i've heard it before.
I drive with windows down a lot and actually never heard a hint of it. I think it's puerly opinion thing. Should I slightly step on pedal, my HAI takes over.

Originally Posted by ScarfaceTHX
I'm doing the same thing right now. Already got the 5th gen muffler on there.

Now I'm debating whether to order a WSP B-Pipe or have something cutom done.

Sound clips of your exhaust would greatly help my decision-making process.

BTW: The 5th gen muffler fit on my car fine. The bigass tip hangs lower and they recessed the muffler a little bit hanging it. If you stop and stare, you'll notice that something looks funny but I'm not real picky about that. Cutting out the bumper would just draw attention to it - so far no one I know has noticed it.
I plan on doing sound clip on a weeked. My muffler fitted also without any issues, what I plan to do still is to widen that cut out a little on a bumper to make it look not so odd.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:15 PM

BTW, Ludacris, your mod, painting wheels, is on my list for this summer!

Right now I am finishing 9004 to 9007 conversion, just have to align beam pattern now. Improvement looks significant!!