4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just installed Short Ram Hybrid Intake... How long until ECU adjusts?? No hp gains.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004 | 10:15 AM

Just installed Short Ram Hybrid Intake... How long until ECU adjusts?? No hp gains.

Hey guys. I reset my ECU after installing the intake. NO CEL!! took it "drive it like you stole it" campaign. WOW!! the sound is NICE!! However, I feel no gains in HP during any RPM area (maybe even a loss in HP.)

So... 2 questions

1) How long does it take the ECU to properly adjust to the intake?

2) I bought the short ram intake off eBay, buyt kept the filter it came with. Do you guys recommend getting a K&N? OR is a filter a filter?

Any answers/suggestions? Thanks!!

P.S. What's with all the frickin intake questions today!?
Old 06-26-2004 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Hey guys. I reset my ECU after installing the intake. NO CEL!! took it "drive it like you stole it" campaign. WOW!! the sound is NICE!! However, I feel no gains in HP during any RPM area (maybe even a loss in HP.)
You dont have to drive it like you stole it to reset the ECU... althought it is fun Your not going to feel any HP, the gains are too minimal. And since even you said you felt a loss in HP, you probably did. Most short intakes will give you a loss in low RPM's

2) I bought the short ram intake off eBay, buyt kept the filter it came with. Do you guys recommend getting a K&N? OR is a filter a filter?

Get a K&N, if you use those ebay filters your better off taking a set of your mothers panty hose and putting it over the intake.

P.S. What's with all the frickin intake questions today!?
Theres always too many damn intake questions because people dont read the FAQ's
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:30 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Tell you the truth you'd be much happier with a hacked airbox. Better sound, better low end, and still looks like you got the stock intake in place.
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
Tell you the truth you'd be much happier with a hacked airbox. Better sound, better low end, and still looks like you got the stock intake in place.
Nah. I disagree. IMO the look of an aftermarket intake (with the aluminum piping) is classic. I love the new look of my engine bay. Hoping that when I get my y-pipe I'll REALLY feel the gains.
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:41 AM

What's your opinion on getting a K&N cone filter??
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE

Get a K&N, if you use those ebay filters your better off taking a set of your mothers panty hose and putting it over the intake.

I went to the autostore and saw that K&N has cone filters that are open on both ends. THe one ebay gave me was closed at one end. Does this make a difference.

Come to think of it..... should I take off the shiny metal cover of ebay's cone filter to allow for better air flow?
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I disagree. I think the stillen with a mid pipe, and VI ownz the hacked airbox.
Old 06-26-2004 | 01:30 PM

I went to the autostore and saw that K&N has cone filters that are open on both ends. THe one ebay gave me was closed at one end. Does this make a difference.

Come to think of it..... should I take off the shiny metal cover of ebay's cone filter to allow for better air flow?
Thats what I have, they're called Inverted filters. It gives more surface area. Its up to you though. The differences are minimal between an inverted and regular cone but its up to you. I just think you should change to a K&N because those Ebay ones give almost no filtering protection whatsoever.
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:19 PM

you were expecting butt-dyno gains from an intake?

stickies...
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Nah. I disagree. IMO the look of an aftermarket intake (with the aluminum piping) is classic. I love the new look of my engine bay. Hoping that when I get my y-pipe I'll REALLY feel the gains.
I don't give a **** how it looks if it doesn't do jack. A hacked airbox will get you the same times if not better in the 1/4 mile and costs nothing. With the MEVI it might be different but I really doubt it as Dave B noticed a very slight difference in all the intakes he tested. I also know that compared to a hybrid, the stock box with the bottom part completely removed has better low end power than the hybrid. Even with the stock box and the midpipe it's not as good so also keep the resonator. My guess is that if the hybrid was a bit longer and had sort of a larger diameter canister in between the filter and TB it would be even better.
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:31 PM
V^___^V

get on a dyno and find out
Old 06-26-2004 | 03:17 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's not worth the $50 to see the 2-3hp difference.
Old 06-26-2004 | 05:49 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I don't give a **** how it looks if it doesn't do jack. A hacked airbox will get you the same times if not better in the 1/4 mile and costs nothing. With the MEVI it might be different but I really doubt it as Dave B noticed a very slight difference in all the intakes he tested. I also know that compared to a hybrid, the stock box with the bottom part completely removed has better low end power than the hybrid. Even with the stock box and the midpipe it's not as good so also keep the resonator. My guess is that if the hybrid was a bit longer and had sort of a larger diameter canister in between the filter and TB it would be even better.
There is no point in having the mid-pipe any larger than the MAF or TB. MAF is 3" and stock TB is 2.4"....so have anything larger would do nothing.
Old 06-26-2004 | 05:49 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The ECU does not have to "learn" anything BTW.
Old 06-26-2004 | 06:32 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I don't want all the piping that big. Just a part inbetween to sort of act like the stock resonators, thing under the battery, store air to have it on demand. Still not sure if it did that but the more I read ad see how stock intakes work on cars the more I think that's what it's for, the sound deadening too.
Old 06-26-2004 | 10:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ive gone from stock, to just filter, to mid-pipe/filter, to a true cold air. To tell you the truth, gains are minimal and cannot be felt (IMHO). What you feel is the noise. Im happiest with my setup now, a true cold air sitting in my front fender well. Has the deepest sound of all, is the loudest, looks the best, and will probably serve me the best performance gains being that i live in FLA.

If you looking for butt-dyno gains, get boost/n2o

-eric