4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Addco RSB - Has anyone painted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 06:44 AM
bassinmax

I just got my Addco RSB, but after seeing it, I think I would prefer it to be black instead of the gold color that it is. The color comes from the some type of treating process, like anodizing, where it is a very light gold with the splotches of purple and green. I understand the primer then paint concept, but I understand that painting metal can present problems for paint adhesion. Does anyone have experience painting over this kind of finish and/or have any tips?

Old 03-31-2001, 08:02 AM

The location of the Addco doesn't makes painting it a good idea. Its the lowest point on the car, so scraping it is a possibility and also its a stressed member so flex could be a problem. Spraypaint is weak even if you prepare the surface really well. I'd look into powdercoating it since that would be the toughest finish for it. Regular painting could make it really hard to push on those bushings too. If anything, the bushings will probably peel the paint when you try to put them on.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:16 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You should have spent a little more and got the black powdercoated version.

Anyway, I got my Addco RSB before Cattman was selling the powdercoating version. I painted red at first but it didn't last very long. I just recently powdercoated red for $50.

Originally posted by bassinmax
I just got my Addco RSB, but after seeing it, I think I would prefer it to be black instead of the gold color that it is. The color comes from the some type of treating process, like anodizing, where it is a very light gold with the splotches of purple and green. I understand the primer then paint concept, but I understand that painting metal can present problems for paint adhesion. Does anyone have experience painting over this kind of finish and/or have any tips?
Old 03-31-2001, 10:14 AM
Jimbo

I painted mine

I used a nice primer and then a final coat of flat black. It blends in with the rest of the underside. It doesn't look like an after market piece. I painted all the components seperately before doing install. After install I touched up areas where paint had been scuffed. I had no problems with the bushings not sliding on easily. The RSB has been on my car for over 2 years, including harsh winters, and the paint has held up extremely well. Just make sure you buy some nice primer and paint. Even if you eventually get a scrap or scuff on the bar, just crawl under and spray where needed.

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You should have spent a little more and got the black powdercoated version.

Anyway, I got my Addco RSB before Cattman was selling the powdercoating version. I painted red at first but it didn't last very long. I just recently powdercoated red for $50.