4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I know many had this - noise coming from upper dash console/airbag area

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:00 PM
BOSS

I know many had this - noise coming from upper dash console/airbag area

For the past couple months I've been hearing this strange rattling noise coming from somewhere inside the dash. It appears as though it is coming from:

1) deep inside the dash a little to the right of the upper dash console

or...

2) where the airbag is, if so is there a way to take off the airbag cover or will it ignite and kill me?

or...

3) somewhere close, very close, to the right side of the firewall, maybe under the hood?????

I noticed that the noise happens ONLY under sudden and heavy acceleration and when it's cold in the vents. It almost never occurs when hot air is passing through the vents. So when cold out or when AC on the noise returns. No it's nothing to do with the AC because when it's off and cold out the noise is there. Anyone had something similar?

I'm thinking it may be a loose screw somewhere causing noise when it vibrates due to lower temperature????

thanks

Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
BOSS

well, anyone?

Old 06-30-2004, 12:41 PM

I have the same rattle. I just turn my radio up and ignore it. I don't know if it is worth getting into all that.

Bump for him....
Old 06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
wants the ads to die

I think the noise is coming from where the passenger side A-pillar and dash meet. I think this is a TSB for the 5th gens. The way it was fixed was to put some sort of tape between the two.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

i think its the air bag cause when i hit dash near the air bag and it stops
Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 PM

I dont know if this is what you're talking about but there is this annoying popping sound I always get in the passenger side windshield defroster vent on the side closest to the driver.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Deagle
I think the noise is coming from where the passenger side A-pillar and dash meet. I think this is a TSB for the 5th gens. The way it was fixed was to put some sort of tape between the two.
Are you talking about a rattling sound or something that sounds like 2 pieces of vinyl are rubbuing against each other? Because that's what I think i have
Old 06-30-2004, 02:55 PM

there was a tread earlier titled "rats in the dash" this remindes me of that. i have a really wierd sound comming from my dash that is promonent when i am turning right or when i take my foot off the gas on the highway and the car decelerates. it sounds like a rubbing or squeeding noise or posibly rats chatting away with each other behind the dash. im getting tempted to start ripping the dash apart and try to tighten every screw that i see. some people claim that they got rid of dash noise that way. i just hope my problem isnt suspension related
Old 06-30-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dstyle
there was a tread earlier titled "rats in the dash" this remindes me of that. i have a really wierd sound comming from my dash that is promonent when i am turning right or when i take my foot off the gas on the highway and the car decelerates. it sounds like a rubbing or squeeding noise or posibly rats chatting away with each other behind the dash. im getting tempted to start ripping the dash apart and try to tighten every screw that i see. some people claim that they got rid of dash noise that way. i just hope my problem isnt suspension related
Hmm, I remember reading something about that sort of noise, it's apparantly to do with the power steering, if it is the same thing I'm thinking about.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Deagle
can you elaborate more on that? Sorry for noob question but what is an A-pillar and where is it????

Old 06-30-2004, 06:20 PM
BOSS

OMG I just found this: it's really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/056820.pdf

Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 PM

i already looked though that and i dont think any of them pertain to my noise, but i might try the emergency light one and the glove box light to see if they could possibly be the problem.

im going to copy and paste this from another post. this is also in that adobi link the guy above posted. i might eventualy try this

"the metal/metal squeking noise seemed like it was coming from the steering column or below, i found that if you push the top of the steering wheel towards the dash it goes away or becomes quiet, also its more pronounced the colder it is, or when the a/c is on. anyway i define the instrument cluster as all the gauges and the surround. to remove first remove the steering column covers there are about 4? screws on the bottom side than you have to work it a little to get it out, than pop out all the switches on the bezel (cruse conrol,alarm led, dimmer switch, and blank) than take out 2 philips screws on the bottom side of the cluster "hood" than using a putty knife or something like that pry carefully on the bottom (right below the cruise switch and dimmer switch) once you get the bezel out there is a screw on the bottom left and bottom right of the cluster (im trying to remember if you have to take those out before you can remove the bezel, if you do just use a long screwdriver and get them out throught the holes wehre the switches were), than one more screw on the top center of the cluster, pull the cluster aside and the metal brakcet on the top center is the one that squeks, there are 2 screws going in the backside (from the firewall towards the driver) use a stubby philips to tighten those up, thats it and ive had no more noises. this shouldnt take more than 3o mins to do. good luck"