4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car keeps cutting off during idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car keeps cutting off during idle

I need to know have any one had an idle problem with a 1996 max if so please share some wisdom with me.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by max4show
I need to know have any one had an idle problem with a 1996 max if so please share some wisdom with me.

Is your CEL on...Have you cleaned your TB lately?
Old 06-30-2004, 04:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took my car into the dealer today. I'll let you know what they come up with. I replaced all the standard stuff, and that didn't fix it.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:40 AM

I have a 96 I30

This problem is driving me nutts, and now I have to drive with two feet

it started about 2 -3 weeks ago, the engine would stall at low RPM's, this happened for about a week and a half but it was not constant it was occasional. The Cel finally came on and it was 0303 Front Left Heated O2 sensor. I had Pep boys change it and it seemd ok for a day, but like I said it wasn't constant. Then it started doing it again the next day. It's more like after the car warms up.
It will happen on the highway, really bad surging, then when I get off the highway it really wants to just stall out, so I have to put it in neutral and keep pumping the gas, it feels like its running on about half the cylinders, and it smells really bad. It also happens just driving down the road I can feel the surging then when the RPM's drop it wants to stall.
When it does stall I turn the key and it will start right back up , but if it is in this mode where it wants to stall, after I start it up it will stall out after I start it. So I have to keep pumping the gas till I throw it in Drive and can hit the gas to keep it going.
It hasn't thrown another code yet, its been about another week and a half, but I can't deal with this anymore as it is happening more, I'm about to take it to a shop but I am wondering if anyone has some similar experience. Cuz I have read lots of posts about shops guessing what could be wrong and people paying big $$$$$ for what they didn't fix !!!!!
Its not the octane of the gas and I have within the last three months changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, plugs are about 6 months old, new knock sensor, and the new O2 sensor last week, removed the old air box and put on a K&N air filter. Its a 96 I30 with about 122,000 miles....... I've had it since it had about 46k miles and never had a problem until now HELP !!!!

I just could not deal with not having my car anymore, I did not have a ride to work this morning cause my friend I work with just went on 3rd shift, so I picked up my car.
After two weeks the only two things he could rule out was the MAF and th new O2 that was put on. So I called to let them know I picked up my car and the guy said , yeah I know Joe(the mechanic workin on my car) was workin on it on and off, its hard to figure out cuz it happens and then it doesn't,... So I don't know if I'm even gonna pay them or not,.. who knows how much time they spent on it in two weeks and even after two weeks they could only say that it wasn't two things, COME ON !!!

My point is I still don't know what the problem is, if you find out let me know
Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 AM

haha, i dont know if its this time of the year or some kinda of coincedence, but im having the same problem...well almost the same...like 50% of the time i stop at a light, the car dies on me, and sometimes its normal and stays running. and sometimes after i stalls, it starts right up and sometimes u gotta hold the key in ignition for a few seconds and pumpin the gas doesn't seem to help. im gonna take it to my mechanic today, see if he can figure it out. if i get an answer i'll let u guys know.

btw its a 99 5spd w/ 82k miles
Old 07-01-2004, 04:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took it into the dealer and they found wire short problem with the Inhibitor switch. It actually posted a code and turned on my check engine light. So it basically cost me $210 for a butt splice to be put in. They acutally said they didn't charge me for the full amount of labor they put into it. That code kept reposting for the last 3 years. I dought that it fixed my problem but it turned my check engine light off.
My stalling is more intermittent and not as severe as the rest of you guys that posted.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

Ummm.... Fuel Pump? I had the same problem with the surging and stalling. Guess what happened three weeks ago? Pump crapped out on me. I replaced and it solved my problems.