4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A few words about racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 04:43 PM

A few words about racing

I just have a few words about to race stories I read about here on the org. I understand that some people tend to get upset when these stories are posted & some other people enjoy reading them. Ofcourse there will always be stories that place doubt in the heads of some of the people who read them & some who have no problems beleiving them because they themselves have been in the same situation before. I am one of those people who doesn't have a problem with people posting there weekend kills, I learn alot about reading them & I have to say the most important lesson I pick up from these stories is "NOT TO UNDER ESTIMATE THE MAXIMA"...

Now that that has been said time it's time for me to post a story about a doubter who under estimated my maxima. So here we go, my friend has always been into Audi's & I especially like them but have been reluctant to purchase one because I have a strong understanding about the cost invovled to replace broken parts along with upgrading the performance. So until I am alittle more well off in the finacial department I will stick with vehicles that are alittle more reliable (maxima). Anyway, I took my friend to pick up his new Audi which was located in another state. He was jazzed because it's pretty fast & he has always knocked the fact that the maxima is pretty quick for what it is. So a few months have gone by & the other day we had a opertunity to see what they would do against eachother. I have to admit I was alittle hesitant because after riding in the Audi & having it pin me to the seat & watching the boost gauge hit 15psi you could say I was alittle scared. Anyways, he lives in the boonies & I have never seen an officer around his house in the entire 5yrs he has lived there. So were out on the road we each have a passenger & we both step on it. Well needless to say his 15psi didn't help him much because I must have been a good 10 cars ahead of him. He never even had a shot until I stopped pulling at around 130mph & only then he was able to catch & pass me. I have no problem with that because first of all we don't have the autobahn here in California so worrying about how someone does against me above 100mph isn't really a big concern. Well we finally get back to his house & he was like I was only taking her to 10lbs. of boost & wasn't even flooring it & all this other nonsense. I know it was nonsense because it was his idea to see how bad he could beat the max. So after he say's all this nonsense I just told him I floored it, I gave it all she had & I'm pretty happy with the result's. That's when he finally gave prop's to the maxima. After I heard that out of his mouth that's when I told him that I'd be lucky to see 165whp on a dyno. He was like no way and all this other stuff. Then I told him are you sure that your can is making 260+ horsepower? Anyway, I just wanted to pass along my thoughts about other orger's race story post's. I never have had a problem with them & they just open other peoples eye's when it comes to what it means to be driving a maxima.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:00 PM
G

what model was his audi? and what year? im a big audi fan myself and i would have purchased an a4 over my maxima if it wasnt such an unreliable POS. but they do look awesome and handle like no other car.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:41 PM

It's a 200 Quattro 20v 5cyl turbo.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i agree with you on the topic of race stories, some people tend to bash them when people post kills of cars that themselves have lost to... i for one enjoy reading them and have learned which cars i could beat off the line and which ones i shouldnt even bother with cause i would get my *** handed to me

thats really funny about your friend because one of mine pulls that **** every time we race. he's got a '63 chevy truck with a 350ci which had dynoed at just over 350hp. well every time we have raced i havent been more than 1/2 a car length behind him and have been ahead on more than one occasion. thing is that every time we get done racing he pulls the 'i wasnt really flooring it' or 'i missed the shift' (its a 3spd auto anyway!), or 'i have the carb tuned to use less gas' exuce... its really pathetic because he dumped all this cash into his truck and i'm still able to keep with him in my almost stock max. i can't imagine how badly i'm gonna wail on him when i get cattman headers in a few weeks
Old 07-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Great, another racing thread.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Big D

Don't like them or wanna read them. Move on, why even waste your time posting?

-eric
Old 07-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Cause of cry babies like you. Also hoping that maybe one of these days someone will make a post from jail after he gets locked up for street racing and being an idiot.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Don't like them or wanna read them. Move on, why even waste your time posting?

-eric

If you dont wanna read about it, dont click on it!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by myke321

If you dont wanna read about it, dont click on it!
wow its just that easy?
Old 07-03-2004, 07:17 PM

nice kill tho!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:55 PM

Cause of cry babies like you. Also hoping that maybe one of these days someone will make a post from jail after he gets locked up for street racing and being an idiot.

I know your not referring to me...

-eric
Old 07-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I'm not, did I say I was?
Old 07-03-2004, 08:39 PM

Great, another worthless reply
Dont like racing stories? dont reply, why waste time posting?

ps. good read, my friend also has an A4 1.8t, chipped, boosting about 16 psi with whole exhaust system, and he still cant touch me.
he gives props to the maxima's though.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:06 PM

Maximus_95,

Thanks for the reply. I really like Audi's too but I notice that alot of people who own Audi's don't have alot of respect towards any other brands. My friend is deffinitly that way. Once he got his first Audi way back in 87" he has never look at any other car's to own. Well he doe's have a old GMC 4x4 but that's it. Too him if it's not Audi it doesn't count. I love Audi's too, I think there really nice car's. Some day I'll pick up a urr quattro or a 91 quattro coupe. But I really feel like there not that much compition until your driving above 100mph. I have seen alot of Audi's that are really fast in my lifetime I'm talking like 9 & 10sec. street legal race car's that don't look like nothing special but to get to that stage takes alot of dough & an excellent mechanic. So it just doesn't seem justified to me to spend that kind of cash when you can have something as fast or faster for alot less money. Audi's really are amazing car's but the cost factor involved in making them quick is rediculous in my opinion. It's insane, 1K intake manifold, $1,500 exhaust manifold, 2k turbo replacement, 3k stand alone fuel management system. It's just ludacris when you think about the amount of money it takes to create a Audi sleeper.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:10 PM

Good story to read, nice win, and many people do doubt the max or fail to realize the power on te VQ.

but I'm wondering, why did Audi make a 5cyl car?? why not stick with either 4 or 6, why an odd number like 5? it must not be in the "V" format. Does anyone know?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:15 PM

Your right the 5cyl. engine is inline. I'm not sure why Audi made the 5cyl. my guess would be for weight distribution. But you can always look up the history of Audi & find the answer. Audi has been around a very long time so there is plenty of info on the web about there company.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
Maximus_95,

Thanks for the reply. I really like Audi's too but I notice that alot of people who own Audi's don't have alot of respect towards any other brands. My friend is deffinitly that way. Once he got his first Audi way back in 87" he has never look at any other car's to own. Well he doe's have a old GMC 4x4 but that's it. Too him if it's not Audi it doesn't count. I love Audi's too, I think there really nice car's. Some day I'll pick up a urr quattro or a 91 quattro coupe. But I really feel like there not that much compition until your driving above 100mph. I have seen alot of Audi's that are really fast in my lifetime I'm talking like 9 & 10sec. street legal race car's that don't look like nothing special but to get to that stage takes alot of dough & an excellent mechanic. So it just doesn't seem justified to me to spend that kind of cash when you can have something as fast or faster for alot less money. Audi's really are amazing car's but the cost factor involved in making them quick is rediculous in my opinion. It's insane, 1K intake manifold, $1,500 exhaust manifold, 2k turbo replacement, 3k stand alone fuel management system. It's just ludacris when you think about the amount of money it takes to create a Audi sleeper.

that is true, audi's are a nice car, and lately, they have been coming up.
but its just like a bmw owner not willing to look at anthing else but bmw's.
its their standards i guess you can put it as. they have an expensive car, and they cant beat us, so they have to talk big so that it makes them feel better.
but little they know, is that our cars do beat them.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:08 PM

nice racing tale. it had good stuff in it.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:24 PM

honda also made an i-5, in the vigor. all i remember hearing about it was "weight of a i-4, power of a v-6," although i'm not completly sure myself.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:44 PM

Good story. . . before buying the Max, I was actually looking to buy an A4 1.8T or 2.8. . theyre nice cars, but from what I hear there are some bad apples in the group which can cost you thousands of dollars to repair.

PS: Besides getting +1 on your postcount, whats the point of whining about the race thread, unless you also just want attention from everyone. It is ALLOWED to be discussed on weekends, according to the people who run the site. It would make it so much simpler if people only posted when they have something to say with any significance. Not: "Gh3y race thread".
Old 07-04-2004, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaTodd
what model was his audi? and what year? im a big audi fan myself and i would have purchased an a4 over my maxima if it wasnt such an unreliable POS. but they do look awesome and handle like no other car.

thanks man, I needed a good laugh to wake me up. The A4 1.8T motor is bulletproof. The 1.8T would easily kill our maxima if it was same to same ( turbo upgrades) They run low 12.s with new turbo's and no NOS, I can't say ive seen a maxima do that without NOS.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:42 AM

audi's are nice as fawk, i got behind the wheel of an s4 and that car is a bad *** mother fudger. i know those audi's are heavy *** ****'s cause of the awd but with the chip in the 1.8t and a few upgrades you can have one fast euro car.

on a side note, if u dont like race stories why even bother going into the thread. 9 out of 10 times the title says race or i beat blah blah car. its sorta like eating brocoli, if u dont like it dont eat it anymore, dont keep stuffing your face. no one is forcing u to read these threads unless your mom is over you shoulder screaming out, "read your race threads and eat your brocoli"
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 AM

Great story. I totally agree with you, nostrixoxide, race stories are fun to read. Especially when you read something about a maxima kicking a V8 or some **** that thinks their tha shiit.

A couple of my friend's have audis (A4&S4). One friend has an s4 I took it against the maxima well you can imagine who won. The s4 is friggen fast. If the modding bug eva lets go of my wallet, I could really consider about getting one of these.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:57 AM

I didn't know they had computers, let alone the internet, in jail. I need to move to Chi-town cuz here in San Antonio I hear its just a room w/ a concrete floor and bars instead of doors.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:43 AM

I like the racing threads
Old 07-04-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
Great, another worthless reply
Dont like racing stories? dont reply, why waste time posting?

ps. good read, my friend also has an A4 1.8t, chipped, boosting about 16 psi with whole exhaust system, and he still cant touch me.
he gives props to the maxima's though.
You boosted guys make me sick . I was upset until I saw you had a S/C, because I have three friends with 1.8ts all of them chipped. 2000 FWD A4, 2001 Jetta, and 2003 GTI. I'm faster than them all in the 1/8 but on the street I destroy the Jetta, hold even with the A4 and the GTI pulls hard a car or two in third but does'nt gain any ground after that.

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
So it just doesn't seem justified to me to spend that kind of cash when you can have something as fast or faster for alot less money. Audi's really are amazing car's but the cost factor involved in making them quick is rediculous in my opinion. It's insane, 1K intake manifold, $1,500 exhaust manifold, 2k turbo replacement, 3k stand alone fuel management system. It's just ludacris when you think about the amount of money it takes to create a Audi sleeper.
The APR stage 3 kit is around $4K and comes with turbo, exhaust manifold, injectors, and upgraded ECU program, maybe some other stuuf I forgot. Everything but an upgraded intercooler which will cost $700-$1000. So it's not that much more than boosting a Max. I let you know how fast they are my friend with the A4 has his on order. Should be good for 13s in the 1/4.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:48 PM

As long as your posting your racing stories on the weekends its fine. As long as your not threatning the lives of others its fine.

Last but not least just put in your title "RACING".

Dont make a big deal out of it though, thats how flame wars start.

Besides we all know its not the max your driving its the driver in the max :P

AKA me

hahaha

J/k

Enjoy

Proph
Old 07-04-2004, 01:07 PM

MidnightMaxx,
The pricing I was talking about is for alot older Audi's. 86 thru 93. I understand that there is a higher demand for parts on the new Audi's so there are alot of manufacturers that make parts for them. However for the older 5cyl. turbo motors most manufacturers are located in Germany, Sweden, Finland etc. so almost everything has to be imported. Also another problem with aftermarket parts for those old motors is they almost never bolt right on. You have to do weird **** like make your own custom tools to even be able to get to the bolts to tighten them. I have had to grind down one to many wrenches to make them thin enough to get to exhaust manifold & intake manifold bolt's. the problem with the older 5cyl. motors is that the intake is backwards (throttle body towards the firewall & they have tubes running down the top of the intake to access the bolt's). So the good aftermarket manifolds not only have larger plenums but they eliminate the tubes & basically turn the intake around so the inlet is towards the front of the car. So the install becomes alittle more difficult then just bolt on? But you are right, then new A4's have almost as big of an aftermarket as say honda does so there are all kinds of parts for them at relitively decent pricing. Someone above wrote that the 1.8t is bulletproof & I have to dissagree there. Such you can build them to handle alot of power for how small the displacement is but I have seen & heard of way to many blow head gaskets & warped aluminum heads from people cranking to much boost out of them. So yes they are very strong & durable, but not bulletproof. And that's coming from someone who pretty much 90% of his friends have owned or own Audi's.

Prophecy1,
Thanks for the reply! I always new I was a good driver, so I guess you can put me right under you in the good driver catagory
Old 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM

good kill nostrixoxide. my friend who was arrested with his 2.0 Jetta also has a 2000 2.8 Audi A6, with the tiptronic automatic. i've always wanted to run against that and see how i'd do, but it'll be awhile before i get that urge to floor it anywhere outside of a race track.

and like everyone else has said, if you dont like racing stories, dont read them, or if you read them, dont post about how you dont like them. go find a book to read if youre bored, dont ***** up threads that people might enjoy
Old 07-04-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by global_threat
honda also made an i-5, in the vigor. all i remember hearing about it was "weight of a i-4, power of a v-6," although i'm not completly sure myself.
I think that was actually an Audi motor. If I remember right, it even had the four rings on the engine cover.
P.S. I love Audis too! I had a '92 100 with the sport suspension and it was amazing! Handled awesome, but was still VERY solid and comfortable.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Hooooooonda.....

He's still putting his life in danger. How does he know he's not putting others at risk? The other driver is at risk. How do you know there isn't a homeless dude or some drunk sleeping in the grass on the side of the road? You don't.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by eckohb
good kill nostrixoxide. my friend who was arrested with his 2.0 Jetta also has a 2000 2.8 Audi A6, with the tiptronic automatic. i've always wanted to run against that and see how i'd do, but it'll be awhile before i get that urge to floor it anywhere outside of a race track.

The 2.8 A6's are extremely slow, the 2.7t and the 4.2 V8 A6s are pretty respectable though. I may be mistaken but I believe they are low 17 second cars.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
brotherhood of tq

big d doesnt really make a point. people are put at risk anytime someone drives a car, not only while racing. but yea good kill story
Old 07-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Hooooooonda.....

What's more dangerous, hitting a pole at speed limit or hitting it at 80mph?
Old 07-04-2004, 11:54 PM
brotherhood of tq

well it all depends on how u hit the pole. people race at speeds lower then the speed limit does that make it less dangorous(sp). it just seems like u want to argue with people.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:04 AM

Big D is right, but that's a chance we take every time we get behind the wheel. That is the unfortunate part about it. Some of us take more chances. It is what we have to live with (or not). I understand your concern, but that is my decision. I enjoy the race threads, but better yet, I enjoy racing. You never know when a dear may jump into the lane or a fan may jump in a lane at the drag strip and cause you to swerve out fo control into the crowd. you never know. Anything is possible! You just have to hope it doesn't and be a safe as possible in anything you do. racing on the strip is dangerous. racing on the street is dangerous. Driving is dangerous, so I myself will enjoy it and not fear it. Again, that is my decision.

GM has a new five cylinder in the Colorado pick up. Five cylinders are not that uncommon.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:27 AM

He's still putting his life in danger. How does he know he's not putting others at risk? The other driver is at risk. How do you know there isn't a homeless dude or some drunk sleeping in the grass on the side of the road? You don't.

dang big d. everyone is in danger just like toofast240 says. everyone has their own opinion, and you have yours. but my question is, why do you reply to a thread that you are so against about?
who cares.....if you dont like it, dont click on it and read it.
i would never read an article that i dont really like.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:40 AM

nostrixoxide I just looked at a post about how you own a VR6 Jetta and a Max and all this. And how you were just knocking on the max for getting beat by a jetta. Now all i have to say is that in the jetta post, you said you but NOS and an exhaust and all this other stuff in your max. Now that is really missleading to some reading this post about you beating an audi.

Maybe a lesson learned is that the max is less expensive to mod than an Audi?.....or that some dont tell the entire truth when posting.....
Old 07-05-2004, 09:45 AM

"My maxima is equipt with 35hp shot nitrous, HAI, Y-pipe w/ full 3" exhaust, DR mod & trans cooler for added protection to the transmission when the nitrous is in use. The fastest 1/4 mile time I've been able to get so far in the Maxima is in the high 13's & thats with the nitrous." -Posted by nostrixoxide just yesterday.

Now with all those mods.....how is your "Max 165 Whp at best" even with NOS and according to what you say you have in your car. Maybe your Jetta Timeslip from the other post is incorrect to.

I dono...I smell a lot of holes in your stories....never mind a lot of B.S.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Midknight MAXX]You boosted guys make me sick . I was upset until I saw you had a S/C, because I have three friends with 1.8ts all of them chipped. 2000 FWD A4, 2001 Jetta, and 2003 GTI. I'm faster than them all in the 1/8 but on the street I destroy the Jetta, hold even with the A4 and the GTI pulls hard a car or two in third but does'nt gain any ground after that.

hey whats up. actually, when i race my friend, i am no longer boosted, and i still take him out. they are not as quick as you think they are, but his audi is a quattro which makes him slower. but with the mods he's carrying, they do get a good power improvement.

Quick Reply: A few words about racing