4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car bucks like a bronco on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car bucks like a bronco on the highway

Hello,

I have a serious problem. Every now and then, my 98 Maxima gxe will start bucking when driving on the highway between 70 and 80. My car has 90K miles on it, I use 93 gas and keep up with maintenance. I will be cruising along at a steady speed and it start to buck. The tacometer stays steady through the bucks at about 3000. If I let of the gas to slow down it stops bucking. It only happens when my foot is on the gas. I slow down beause I think I am going to have to pull over, but then it stops at about 50 mph. This has been happening intermitently, once a month or so for about 4 months. I got really scared today because it was worse than ever. I can recreate the bucking manually by letting off the throttle really quick for a second and then quickly press it in again. It is like i tap the gas and it recreates the buck. Could anyone give me some ideas about where to start looking for the problem. Also, does this sound serious enough to stop driving the car until I can fix the problem? Let me know if you need any more details.

Thank you in advance,

Joe Spearin
Old 07-06-2004, 05:11 AM

Not sure. For what its worth I had a similar problem (which only happened after a really long drive) and it turned out that I needed a new exhaust. If no one else can give you any ideas, I would get your exhaust system checked out.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 AM

Bucking as in your engine power is bucking? Or bucking as in your car is shaking?

If your car is shaking at high speeds, you might need to get your tires reballanced.

If engine power is bucking, you need to check for a CEL, but it may be time to replace spark plugs, check the ignition coils or injectors.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In response,

The bucking is not froim my tires. The bucking is coming from the engine. It is like the engne cuts out and comes back every second, which causes the bucking. It only lasts (bucks about 10 times) until I slow down. I can go slow for a little while and then go get back to speed no problem. Then it won't happen again for a while. It does always happen only after I have been driving on the highway for 20 - 40 minutes. I drive 50 miles a day each way to work. It is funny because it happens so infrequently and it does not last long. I replaced my spark plugs at 60K. ( I now have 90K) I put fuel injection cleaner in every month or so. I will check out the ignition coils and the exhaust. What should I look for in the exhaust, leaks and blockage?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdspearin
In response,

The bucking is not froim my tires. The bucking is coming from the engine. It is like the engne cuts out and comes back every second, which causes the bucking. It only lasts (bucks about 10 times) until I slow down. I can go slow for a little while and then go get back to speed no problem. Then it won't happen again for a while. It does always happen only after I have been driving on the highway for 20 - 40 minutes. I drive 50 miles a day each way to work. It is funny because it happens so infrequently and it does not last long. I replaced my spark plugs at 60K. ( I now have 90K) I put fuel injection cleaner in every month or so. I will check out the ignition coils and the exhaust. What should I look for in the exhaust, leaks and blockage?
Coil packs