4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OMG stupid console...you guys had this ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:35 PM
BOSS

OMG stupid console...you guys had this ?

I took the top part of the middle console out where the vents are with the emergency and rear defrost button. I just wanted to fix some rattles and now I have a problem. I put the top console part back in and everything is fine except for 3 things:

1) Emergency button does not light up when the lights are on, even though it works

2) Rear defrost button does not light up when the lights are on, even though it also works fine

3) The 1-4 air adjustment wheel/turn/switch does not light up either, but also works fine

Everything else lights up and works properly. I'm confused because I double checked all the wires and they all appear fine and properly connected. I don't know, anyone had this happen? Maybe I yanked it too hard when taking it out causing a wire to split? Are there maybe fuses for just the light on those three things?

Finally, how can I check which wire is bad and what wire does what? Please help!

Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I don't think the emergency button ever lit up in the first place. The defrost button only has the orange light. It may be a fuse. I doubt it's the wires unless you jerked that **** really hard when pulling on it Mac.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I noticed the button lights in my GLE were not working one night when I saw the button for the climate control go out. I know that they were lit with the rest of the instument lights so I thought it might be a fuse also. After I didn't find a blown fuse I replaced the lamp behind the A/C button thinking the lamps in the defrost/emer. lights were in series with it or something. After that didn't work I took the switches out of the dash and took them apart to remove bulbs and get new ones at the dealer. Of course, they were not available from them. New swithes were, for about $30 each, right...I eventually took them to a store that specializes in lightbulbs called Lightbulbs Ulimited and bought them (they were a special order) for about $.75 each. They are sort of a PITA to replace because the switches are tough to put back together and have them work correctly but worth the savings.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Sounds like you've managed to blow a few bulbs.. I'm not sure how that happens, but I managed to do the same thing - but to my climate control unit.. I was swapping out the audio unit, and removed all that crap, put it all back together and boom, no more backlighting at night only on the climate control unit... WTF? Anyway, ordered some new bulbs, swapped them out, and its all good. I probably should have pulled the negative battery cable before messing around - I believe thats the "correct" way..

My guess is you've blown bulbs in the areas you mention...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM

i have the same problem with my rear defroster after taking apart the consol, but i did it like 2 days ago and havent gotten around to fixing it.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:26 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by luckyprettyeyes
i have the same problem with my rear defroster after taking apart the consol, but i did it like 2 days ago and havent gotten around to fixing it.
any progress in that area?

Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

the leds in those buttons are dinky - its really easy to cause the connection to be broken when removing em.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Mac, if you want I can put LEDs in there for you. If not I can give you some LEDs and you can do it yourself. I have RED or Blue.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:09 PM

I have had this happen. The hazard switch DOES light up as well does the defroster switch. I also took off the top clock/vent assembly and had this happen. Here's what I did, and it worked perfect. Just take off the vent/clock piece, disconnect the wires (clock too), and pop out the switches. They're pretty easy to do , just use a flat head screwdriver or a knife and push the movable tab in on the side (there's only one per switch) and push the solid tab (other side of the switch the other way. (kinda hard to explain you'll see what i mean, it's easy) and then push the switch outward (might need to push hard). (push from behind) it should pop out. then just pop the switch apart by prying the tabs (the black ones). then you have your switch open. Be careful to do it slowly and don't do it over carpet (parts might get lost). You will see your light (NOT an LED!!!) in a little rubber thing which should be grey. (leds could replace it i guess if you used a resistor with it, but it's just extra work). then you will see the leads of the bulb are wrapped a few times through some holes in this little rubber piece. Just get your replacement bulb (I used some from Radio Shack, i forget the part number, but they are identical to the ones in the car I'll put up a pic to show what it looks like) It's about 1/8 of an inch in diameter in real life. Anyway, just install this one, trim the excess leads, and put it all back together. It's really pretty easy, i did both of mine in like 5 min. I'm just trying too hard to explain it exactly so it sounds difficult....LOL. Good luck. Oh, and when you replace them, don't forget to put the little "bulb condom" thing on the new bulb. It helps with the coloring...Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
BOSS

thanks a lot maxima_se007. I am 99% sure that what you have written will help and resolve my problem. I will do this first thing in the morning.

BTW, what "bulb condom" thing are you referring to? Is this something I buy at radioshack or is it already there on the bulb now?

Old 07-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
thanks a lot maxima_se007. I am 99% sure that what you have written will help and resolve my problem. I will do this first thing in the morning.

BTW, what "bulb condom" thing are you referring to? Is this something I buy at radioshack or is it already there on the bulb now?
LOL..."bulb condom" is all i could think of to explain it...it's a blue rubber cover that goes over the bulb (on the defrost, cruise, and dimmer switches, i don't think there's one for the hazard) It is on the OEM bulb, so just pull it off and put it on your new bulb...It's really easy to do, I just made it sound difficult. I didn't have any instructions when i first attempted it, and it took me like 5 min. It really is a quick procedure. Also, the bulbs come in a pack of two...I think they were rated for 14 volts...not sure on that, but anywhere in the 12-14 volt range will work. the picture I posted shows an enlarged image of the bulb; they're smaller in real life...good luck...if you have any more questions, just let me know....