4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor HELP

Hello

I looked through the how to do's and did not find hwo to change this sensor, i also need a place to buy it from other then the nissand dealer. i thought mine was okay, but the CEL came back on and my mechanic said change it and that tis' worth giving it a shoot. once again my problem is a huge power lost. some said change computer, other said fuel pump we'll see who's right lol.. thanx guys for all the info....

p.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:34 AM

I don't know how positioning of it varies from 5th to 4th gen, but on the 5th gen you simply unplug the wires from it, unscrew it, and screw the new one back in. A bit of coolant will seep out, but not much. I can't even begin to explain where it is without a picture. If you still can't find it by tonight email me and I'll take a picture of it in my engine bay for you.

Last edited by SkoorbMax; 07-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
I don't know how positioning of it varies from 5th to 4th gen, but on the 5th gen you simply unplug the wires from it, unscrew it, and screw the new one back in. A bit of coolant will seep out, but not much. I can't even begin to explain where it is without a picture. If you still can't find it by tonight email me at ma_brooks@hotmail.com and I'll take a picture of it in my engine bay for you.
Thank you very much! I'm going to the Nissan Dealer to pick it up at 6pm eastern time. it's only $50 so i might as well. once i have it n my hand and have seen it may be i'll be able to find it. but if i do need help i'll email you.... once again thank you very much

P.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Follow your upper radiator hose down to the engine...there are sensors on the top of the metal tube that runs down the side of the engine...the second sensor is it...the first one is your temp gauge

-matt
Old 07-09-2004, 09:57 AM

i don't think the position matters...just torque it down sufficiently....if you look at the actual sensor itself, it looks like an O2 sensor in a way....like it can sense in 360 degress...

I heard that a faulty engine coolant temp sensor can result in a rich engine mixture, is this true?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by mAxPwEr4Us
Thank you very much! I'm going to the Nissan Dealer to pick it up at 6pm eastern time. it's only $50 so i might as well. once i have it n my hand and have seen it may be i'll be able to find it. but if i do need help i'll email you.... once again thank you very much

P.
Should be able to get it for around 25 bucks from an autozone/napa/pepboys type place.. or if you can wait a few days, order online from jrnissanparts.com - it will definitely be less than 50 bucks.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:31 AM

yea there like $20-$25 from Nissan...

-matt
Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Follow your upper radiator hose down to the engine...there are sensors on the top of the metal tube that runs down the side of the engine...the second sensor is it...the first one is your temp gauge

-matt
i've been looking for that, but i just can't find it. is my radiator the one with the fans or the one n front of the fans? is this sensor going to be n the drivers side or passanger? thank you very much for the info
Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM

buy a CHILTON's or HAYNES!!!...it's on the driver side...maybe I could take a pic if my pda was working! just find a good pic of an engine bay and post it on here...and I'll save it, and edit it circling it, then re post it here....
Old 07-09-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
buy a CHILTON's or HAYNES!!!...it's on the driver side...maybe I could take a pic if my pda was working! just find a good pic of an engine bay and post it on here...and I'll save it, and edit it circling it, then re post it here....
thank you very much, but i already found it and replaced it. right next to the front spark plugs cover. and the hoses it's kinda cover by the plastic crap from the stock intake i guess. well the check engine light is gone now... every thing should be fine, BUT NO!! my car is still slow. when i put the car n neutral and rev it high i hear this clarth clarth clarth coming from under the car. before i bought the car the guy told me that he would also change the catty converter. when my mechanic saw it told me that they did a really ****ty job, but it's there. may be that's where my power lost is? more and more and more parts!! god when will this end! i took it to the nissan dealer, but they were closing. so im taking it back monday unless i really find out if it's the catty converter. until then i'll just drive my other max lol..... thank so much for all the replys, pantience, and time you guys put into my problem

P.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:27 AM

thank you very much, but i already found it and replaced it. right next to the front spark plugs cover. and the hoses it's kinda cover by the plastic crap from the stock intake i guess. well the check engine light is gone now... every thing should be fine, BUT NO!! my car is still slow. when i put the car n neutral and rev it high i hear this clarth clarth clarth coming from under the car. before i bought the car the guy told me that he would also change the catty converter. when my mechanic saw it told me that they did a really ****ty job, but it's there. may be that's where my power lost is? more and more and more parts!! god when will this end! i took it to the nissan dealer, but they were closing. so im taking it back monday unless i really find out if it's the catty converter. until then i'll just drive my other max lol..... thank so much for all the replys, pantience, and time you guys put into my problem

P.
did he check codes?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
did he check codes?
I did all my codes were gone until yesterday when 2 more codes came up!. 03-02 EGR System Hi/Low Flow and Rear Heated O2 sensor. I have no idea what the first code is. 02 sensor does take away performace, but my car is really slow and i think it's something else.. oh well im still going to the nissan dealer monday.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com it's a great resource for your maxima. Once I replaced the temp coolant sensor the stall and hesitation went away. Car stopped cutting off.

Hello

I looked through the how to do's and did not find hwo to change this sensor, i also need a place to buy it from other then the nissand dealer. i thought mine was okay, but the CEL came back on and my mechanic said change it and that tis' worth giving it a shoot. once again my problem is a huge power lost. some said change computer, other said fuel pump we'll see who's right lol.. thanx guys for all the info....

p.