4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ranting of a fellow 4th gen owner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ranting of a fellow 4th gen owner...

--to any new maxima owner's out there that are new comers...leave your max stock!!! trust me...modding is serious trouble....even a little....especially exhaust...when you start doing exhaust on your car...all kinds of things show up...poor fit, vibrations in pedals, exhaust leaks (gaskets), welding....clattering, banging....oh and intake....loss of low-end....ecu...don't get me started...

--also, god help you if you take your car to a bad shop once (yes even once)....you will be paying for it a long time after....cause you will want to take it back to the same place to have them fix their mistake for free, but that shop will only screw something else up or forget to do something in the process of the repair...and you will inevitably only have more issues....so always, always find the most awesome shop ever to take your car to for your very first repair!!!

--never do mods yourself unless you absolutely know what you are doing...you will only have to take your car to a shop later to re-install it or have them fix something that you broke b/c of your ignorance...

--if you have an accident....throw your max away, for some Ripley's believe it or not reason, you will have mechanical problems galore after that which may be unrelated....but you will still get about 2-3 repairs in the next 2-3 months as a result....still don't know how an accident messes things up mechanically, but it does, even if rather minor!!!

--be very careful when buying a used max....if you don't memorize all the TSB's b4 purchase and look for them, you will end up paying for them down the road!!! (ahem, my last owner blessed me with shot differential bearings which I am 90% sure he knew about which is why he was selling)...

--don't even try to fix creaking or noises, cause you will only have another one after pulling a panel or finisher to get at it!! this will only become a lot more apparent with any aftermarket suspension, you will have cabin noises up the wazoo after a while...

--labor on a maxima is cheap and easy, but if not done properly will only cause many many more problems down the road which will also seem unrelated but nonetheless are!

--in a lot of cases, with a 4th gen you need to know when to cut your losses...ie. instead of tackling several engine problems....it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a used low-mileage VQ and drop it in....VQ's are cheap and abundant...and the tranny's are not much more if you look around...
Old 07-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Dev

what you said does not only apply to maxima's, but every car out there.
sometimes modding does lead to problems if not done right, however there are a lot of people that have little to no problems even with modding.
about the exhaust, it just has to be installed properly. the parts are mass produced (unless you get a custom system) and the fitment is pretty damn good or at least i think so
i think modding the intake/exhaust MIGHT lead to dead O2 sensors or maybe knock sensors, but there is nothing for me to back that up really.
i don't think there is anything wrong with modding, especially when you replace parts that need to be replaced soon anyways (rusted exhaust, worn out brakes)
Old 07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
VIP Maxima

simply

Old 07-10-2004, 10:23 PM

title of the thread just about sums it up
Old 07-10-2004, 10:27 PM

Whats your deal dude!!!

Just because you probably had bad experiences with modding your car???
Old 07-10-2004, 10:27 PM

Yea this thread does suck big ones. You've had a bad experience with your car, fine... Who cares though?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Hooooooonda.....

This is what happens when you let a 18 year old drink. This guy is just ****ed cause he messed up his car. Probably tried doing everything himself just to realize he prefers ballet over wrenches and bloody knuckles. I'm not saying you're gay I'm just saying you like ballet. I like working on the car, modding it and things like that. Yeah I know it costs money to fix the car but last I heard the max wasn't the only one that broke once in a while. So why don't you wait for puberty to kick in and realize life isn't fair before start another pointless rant.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:34 PM

Posted by Big D - Today at 12:31 AMI'm not saying you're gay I'm just saying you like ballet.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 PM

no...i have had everything installed by a shop...which is one of my issues above, if you read carefully....I am just giving pointers to new maxima owners....of what to watch out for!!!

just thought that nissans and maximas were more reliable and hardcore engineered than this! which is why I bought it in the first place...
Old 07-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Like they say, " If you want it done right, do it yourself". I don't understand how people who are into modding their car don't actually do any of the work? How does that work? You love cars but you hate to get grease on your hands?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:24 PM

i love this new bread of maxima owner...lol...your supposed to just read and move on (and take it with a grain of salt persay)....not bag on the author...or better yet, be supportive of a fellow org member having serious problems...by the way..big D, how old do you think I am?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I have no idea how old you are. From reading what you wrote maybe 17 or 18. In reality you're probably in your 20s or 30s. Who cares really?
People are "bagging" on you cause it seems you thought the max was supposed to be perfect. Just change the oil every 3k miles, do some maintenance and that's it. Nothing in life is easy or certain so get some ***** and stop crying.
Of course the fact that you have a 1st year 4th gen doesn't surprise me with all your problems. Every car is a POS in it's first year of production, almost every.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:17 AM

typically, nissan's cars in their first year of every generation has minimal problems, and from all my research here on the forums, no other 95 owners have the level of issues I have unless they lie about the true amount of repairs they have....????

I did all the research from simply reading here on the forums for a year b4 I bought my 95 max...I guess the myriad of stories in regards to member's 95 max's being gas and go and oil change every 3K miles are stories of grandeur and allusion!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
typically, nissan's cars in their first year of every generation has minimal problems,!
lets talk crash safety with the 95s
Old 07-11-2004, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
Of course the fact that you have a 1st year 4th gen doesn't surprise me with all your problems. Every car is a POS in it's first year of production, almost every.
uhmm....when you are saying this, i hope you are not talking about the 97 's.
because i have one and seriously, no problems. and plus, before then 97's, there were the 95's, which is technically the same, just improved little by little up to the 99's. so dont be baggin' on our 97's. they are good cars and not a POS!

michaelnyden,
and about modding, that's life buddy.
anything aftermarket is not going to fit or work properly on our cars. or even make it more reliable. do you know why? because it is not OEM!
but that's the life of modding. nothing ever goes the way you want it to be.
and plus, why discourage new maxima owner's of wanting to mod their car?
and i think everyone has an idea of what modding a car can do.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:47 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

hummmmm.....pointless maybe??
Old 07-11-2004, 03:27 AM
faster than you think

you dont deserv maxima lol
Old 07-11-2004, 04:00 AM

My Max is moderately modded and I've never had one problem with the car.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Banned

ummmm.... no?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Kevlo for President

I choked on a glass of water today while reading your post, it made my shirt wet. So I am gonna stop drinking water.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:34 AM

I don't agree with the author of this thread. Perhaps his mechanical ability is non-existent and the shop he has dealt with has incompetent staff. However, I do take exception to the disparaging remark concerning 95 Maximas.

I have owned my car since day 1 (October 1, 1994) and the only problems I have ever had with it are: 1) replaced an o2 sensor on warranty, 2) blew the side wall out of a tire at 45,000 miles, and 3) had to replace a battery after 7-1/2 years. I have no squeaks, rattles, groans and from what I gather the vehiclel is in the top 1% of fuel economy of any Maxima on the .org and I still have the original plugs and PCV valve and the throttle body has never been touched. So lay off the disparaging comments about 95s.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
uhmm....when you are saying this, i hope you are not talking about the 97 's.

Is the 97 the FIRST year of the 4th gens??!! cmon now...

and michael, what did you expect?! I mean people are gonna have bad experiences sometimes with modding. You will get noises in your suspension when you lower it. Cmon now, thats COMMON sense. Parts start to wear out faster, you have less suspension travel which equals bottoming out sometimes. Also, the maxima is not known to be the quietest in the interior. Plenty of squeaks and rattles can be heard. Just deal with it. If not, sell your "pos" max go buy a honda?!? I mean seriously, what do you want us to tell you? Your coming on a maxima board FULL of enthusiasts who love to mod and are telling us not to?!?! Think about it...

-eric
Old 07-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Get a moped.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:30 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

--if you have an accident....throw your max away, for some Ripley's believe it or not reason, you will have mechanical problems galore after that which may be unrelated....but you will still get about 2-3 repairs in the next 2-3 months as a result....still don't know how an accident messes things up mechanically, but it does, even if rather minor!!!
umm .. my brother has had 2 accidents w/ the Max long b4 giving it to me, someone T-boned his driver door (however you call it), and the other involoved the front end. To this date my Max still feels solid, drives smooth and has not had anything seriously wrong w/ it
Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 AM

yeah...like everyone else, i disagree with this pointless ish. I had a 95 chevy blazer before my max, and the water pump went out, belt tensioner went, just common problems for that vehicle, just like o2 sensors and knock sensors are common for our cars. Every car has a trademark problem with it, and there is no getting past it. Like myke321 said, go buy a moped, or go get a Honduhh.

And with modding, just because your car genius is non existent, doesnt mean you should be discouraging others to make their Max how they want it to be...cmon now
Old 07-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Always sunny in philly

good for you to express your personal opinions about modding, but most of us on the org here are actually here to learn about maintenance, modding, and updated technology with the Maxima (hence, Maxima.org). If there are those who have had problems like yourself, then they wouldn't be reading this thread.

Sorry man, but this thread is ish in my eyes.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:39 AM

im not so much discouraging new members to not mod their rides, but rather to take caution and understand that there will be issues after modding...and not to be suprised...in other words get the right stuff and have it professionally installed...which is what I have done...

I understand the '95 is the first 4th gen production year...but in my year of research b4 I bought the car, it seemed like '95's have no serious issues...which is why i bought it...took it to a famous Z mechanic a month ago and he told me he has seen countless max's fall apart even with TLC and scheduled maintenence, he told me to sell my ride and get a 3rd gen (much better built)...LOL...don't know if this is true or not?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Always sunny in philly

im not so much discouraging new members to not mod their rides, but rather to take caution and understand that there will be issues after modding...and not to be suprised...in other words get the right stuff and have it professionally installed...which is what I have done...

I understand the '95 is the first 4th gen production year...but in my year of research b4 I bought the car, it seemed like '95's have no serious issues...which is why i bought it...took it to a famous Z mechanic a month ago and he told me he has seen countless max's fall apart even with TLC and scheduled maintenence, he told me to sell my ride and get a 3rd gen (much better built)...LOL...don't know if this is true or not?

i guess, if u wanna go backwards....i've seen a lot of orgs here work their car up to 200,000 miles and still running strong....
Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 AM

I don't mean to get all defensive, but this thread really p*sses me off.

If you want to know something, I was in an accident in October of 2003. (On homecoming night, go figure ) I slammed into the back of my friends Jeep going about 30 mph. After that, my car STILL RAN WITHOUT ANY NOTICEABLE PROBLEMS despite being very f*cked up. A week later, I got an estimate on my car, which later ended up to be $3100. I had everything (EVERYTHING!) replaced. Radiator, Fenders, Hood, Bumper, Headlights, Everything. Since my accident, I HAVE NOT HAD ONE PROBLEM with my Maxima despite one 02 sensor go bad. (not uncommon at all) I didn't trash my car, like you said I should. I thought selling my (POS) Maxima for about a small amount of money and getting a cheapo beater car. I kept my Maxima b/c I just like it that much. Now if you want to bash the Maxima anymore, I strongly encourage to make a total @ss out of yourself in front of an audience of thousands.

I'm done ranting now.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:04 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
yeah, i agree , this is why it should be closed
Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 AM
BOSS

what michaelnyden says is basically true. Although I sense much negativity within your post, I believe that all this applies to any car, like many here already mentioned. Of course leaving your car stock will, in most cases, be better for your car later down the road. The is an indisputable fact of life - in most cases, if you take two identical cars with two identical drivers and identical everything else, then, on average, the lifespan of the car which is modded W I L L be less than that of the unmodded (stock) car

It's funny how you say that attempting to fix rattles and other noises will lead to more noises in the end, because that is exactly what happened in every single one of the 3 cars I've owned so far. Again, it's been my experience that I fix a rattle here and there, but then there's another one which resulted from me taking something out from the dash etc.

sooooooooo, so true

Old 07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Maxima Mike

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Teh gheyness.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Old Maxima Legend

dont respond, this guy is a toyota camry driver ! ignition post ! rofl ! in all seriousness, i wish you better luck. any modification should be done with the intent to make the car better in each area.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:42 PM

I don't like the fact that this thread can be true but modding can be fun for everybody. It just depends on what kind of guy you are. If you like to mod but have somebody else do it. Great go head but you won't know what is going on when something goes bad.

Doing it yourself saves you time and money. Plus you know what the **** you did to your car.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Project Ruby......

WTF!?!? Am I on Oprah or is it Dr. Phil??
Old 07-11-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
WTF!?!? Am I on Oprah or is it Dr. Phil??
i agree, wtf is this guys deal?
O and by the way, i agree with Big D, wut is the fun in modding a car if u cant pick up the wrench and do it yourself.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's Oprah back when Phil was doing her show.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:43 PM

yes, sell your maxima and drive in something else. good good.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:17 PM

thanks buddy.......but i think everyone and their grandma probably knows that