4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brake piston (not a c-clamp question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:06 AM
My heroine

rear brake piston (not a c-clamp question)

Hey all,

sorry if this is a stupid question, I searched, but everything on rear brakes there has to do with trying to use a c-clamp to get the piston back in ..

anyhoo..

I have the tool to spin the pistons back in, and they spin freely clockwise (and counter-clockwise, but that doesn't help) however, they don't go back in at all.. just spin and spin and spin..

if anybody has any thoughts, I would appreciate it.. as is i'm f'ed with no car for work tomorrow unless i get this done..

willis
Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 AM

I'm going to guess that you're not applying an inward force when the piston is spinning clockwise. If you have the tool like mine it does it for you. But if you have the $4-$7 tool that everyone keeps posting pics of, then that looks like nothing more than a socket if you will, and you somehow have to push downward. Because as far as I could see when I did it, it's not like a screw.

I may be wrong, but I hate for you to get all the "caliper is seized" responses that I got, which send you off in the wrong direction, wasting more time and possibly money. If you don't have this kind of tool, then go rent one for free and try it--it provides the force for you. In other words, by virtue of the piston going clockwise, this tool is forcing the piston down at the same time.

RENT THIS TOOL (OR BUY IT)
Old 07-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Special tool.. or needle nose pliars..

Read the stickies..

Proph
Old 07-11-2004, 09:22 AM

Yea just push on the piston. If the brakes were really low then they probably unscrewed all the way. Anyway I would not buy that tool set unless you are a serious mechanic, that works on a variety of stuff. But if you can rent it then go ahead.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
Special tool.. or needle nose pliars..

Read the stickies..

Proph

read the post before you tell me to read the stickies... deek

I have the tool and I am using the tool.. it just took a lot longer to spin back in that I thought it would.. thanks for the advice though

to the other guys who replied, thanks... i just wasn't using enough pressure downwards I guess... i got it eventually
Old 07-11-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by willis
read the post before you tell me to read the stickies... deek

I have the tool and I am using the tool.. it just took a lot longer to spin back in that I thought it would.. thanks for the advice though

to the other guys who replied, thanks... i just wasn't using enough pressure downwards I guess... i got it eventually
Cool. I had used my tool on a friend's car, and it was more than 1/2 year later when I did mine. I was turning with the wrench which wasn't forcing the piston, the handle does that. So I couldn't get the piston in--when I asked for help I got all these replies that my piston was seized, go and buy a new caliper, and the BS that you got too. Too bad this forum sometimes works harder and not smarter. Glad you got the job done.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:05 PM

use the right tool

Old 07-11-2004, 07:26 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
use the right tool

seriously.. why did you even bother posting that.. it's already been established in both of my posts in this thread that I was using that tool, or one similar.. the tool to use wasn't the problem I was having..

if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to a thread, how bout people try not posting.. this is why this forum is going downhill, too many wasted posts that don't relate or are already answered..

again, thanks to the two guys who gave help.. problem solved, please ignore the thread now