4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Big Problem taking off Spoiler!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 05:23 AM

Big Problem taking off Spoiler!!!

A few months back, I noticed a small patch of rust starting to bubble around the middle driver's side spoiler leg on the trunk lid. I wanted to nip it in the bud and remove the rust as soon as I had time. So I began by trying to take the spoiler off. I was able to get the passenger side nuts off the spoiler bolts/studs. But I tried getting the rusted side loose. They didn't budge. So I sprayed PB blaster on them and let them set over night. Came back the yesterday, sprayed them again, and let them set for another 30 minutes. So I grabbed my ratchet and SLOWLY they started turning. But little did I know it wasn't the nuts turning. The entire nut/stud together were turning. I can't get the nuts off now. What do I do? Anyone else have this problem before? Thanks.

Aaron
Old 07-21-2004, 08:17 AM

bump. I really could use the help.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a similar problem (need to get rid of this rust) except I broke one of the bolts and decided I better quit while the spoiler was still attached pretty well. Does anybody know what kind of bolts those are? That is once I get the spoiler off, could I replace the the bolts, or are they integrated into the spoiler. Thanks for any help, and thanks amb4081 for letting me piggyback on your thread.

bump.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 PM

ok, I'm the man you are looking for, unfortunaly there is no solution to your problem
I had rust on my trunks, so I try to remove the bolts and end up wiht a lose spoiler (spun bolts)
and more water infiltration.
so I was blessed in finding at the junkyard a maxima witht he exact color with spoiler for $125, so I bought it and replaced the whole trunk.
once I did that I decided to freaking pull the spoiler from my old trunk.
it turns out that the screws are suds atached to the plastic spoiler. to try to remove the spoiler will just breake it, and won't help munch, unless you are willing to buy a new spoiler.I will put a picture of the spoiler on my car domain, so you guys can see how the spoiler is held in the trunk.

hope I was able to explain well.
gui
Old 07-21-2004, 08:32 PM

btw, in other words:
DON'T TOUCH YOUR SPOILER'S RUST OR IT'S BOLTS.
I guess that is the price you pay for having a spoiler in the car, once it starts rusting, you have to either, buy new spoiler or buy a new trunk with spoiler (at a junkyard).
Old 07-21-2004, 08:58 PM

Damn...Thanks alot though for the info.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Guinader
btw, in other words:
DON'T TOUCH YOUR SPOILER'S RUST OR IT'S BOLTS.
I guess that is the price you pay for having a spoiler in the car, once it starts rusting, you have to either, buy new spoiler or buy a new trunk with spoiler (at a junkyard).
The spoiler itself does not rust. But I get your point.

Well, since both bolts of mine on one leg of the spoiler are loose, I might as well try and take it off. I am going to try and get a pair of vice grips onto the stud and turn the nut with a wrench (if I can get it in there). Otherwise, it looks like the Nissan will be out of commission for a while.

Great Nissan design here! It ****es me off when I see my buddy leaves his 91 grand prix (w/spoiler) out in the elements and his doesn't rust. But I have garaged my ride since purchasing it in 2000 and it IS rusting. Nissan's corrosion warranty sucks too! The rust started showing up a year after it expired.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guinader
ok, I'm the man you are looking for, unfortunaly there is no solution to your problem
I had rust on my trunks, so I try to remove the bolts and end up wiht a lose spoiler (spun bolts)
and more water infiltration.
so I was blessed in finding at the junkyard a maxima witht he exact color with spoiler for $125, so I bought it and replaced the whole trunk.
once I did that I decided to freaking pull the spoiler from my old trunk.
it turns out that the screws are suds atached to the plastic spoiler. to try to remove the spoiler will just breake it, and won't help munch, unless you are willing to buy a new spoiler.I will put a picture of the spoiler on my car domain, so you guys can see how the spoiler is held in the trunk.

hope I was able to explain well.
gui
How are the bolts/studs attached to the spoiler? It looks like you just ripped the spoiler off since the nut is still attached to the stud in one of your pics. Are the studs molded into the spoiler? I am considering cutting the nuts off with a dremel tool.

This sounds like a chronic problem on spoiler installed cars since the rust starts on the driver's side of the trunk in almost all the cases.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 AM

Sounds like you guys all have a case of spoiled nuts.

Sorry for the joking but it sounds like you guys need a good laugh.
The route Guinader took seems to be the best way but not easy to find.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 AM

I didn't have anything to cut the bolts (or the screw it self) si I just pryed te spoiler off, and there was so much on the that side the the trunk it self open it up. the rust you see is part of the metal sheets of the trunk.
if you cut the the studs from under the trunk, then the spoiler comes right off.
from lookinh at the spoiler,
I have no idea how they got the studs in the spoiler, unless they just shoved the studs right at the place they sit now, it does not show any other obvious openings in the spoiler.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:18 AM
我爱台湾

That's funny. My spoiler didn't have studs at all and was attached by zinc coated metal screws. My spoiler has been removed several times in the past year because of painting the car and changing out the l.e.d. but I have never seen the studs before. Maybe mine is different. I had a little rust but got rid of it when my spoiler was off the car at the paint shop. Mine is secured only by screws right now and it doesn't rattle or anything.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:24 AM

What does it mean to bump?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuickFast
What does it mean to bump?
the tread you have posted, bumps to the top of the section.

people usualy bump their own treads, so more people can easely see the question/concern you have about your car.
understand?

gui
Old 07-22-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by durtty1
That's funny. My spoiler didn't have studs at all and was attached by zinc coated metal screws. My spoiler has been removed several times in the past year because of painting the car and changing out the l.e.d. but I have never seen the studs before. Maybe mine is different. I had a little rust but got rid of it when my spoiler was off the car at the paint shop. Mine is secured only by screws right now and it doesn't rattle or anything.
Your car does not have to put up as much with the abuse of high humidity from the midwest or the harsh winters that the midwest/northeast see.

By the way, which side was the small amount of rust on?

If the trunk and spoiler are in good enough shape to keep, I will definitely mount it by other means if possible to prevent future corrosion problems.