4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BOSE Head Unit not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 11:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

BOSE Head Unit not working

Here's the story... first i put in a cd... it would work for like a min or 2... then it jus stops working. It seems like it's freezing up... I tried different cd's and it still does the same thing. Not sure what's going on. Can anyone help!?
Old 07-21-2004 | 11:54 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Common problem... there are many places that repair the HUs for a fixed price (80 bucks I think)... you have several options.

1. Pick up a used HU from the ORG or of Ebay
2. Pull your HU, and replace with an aftermaket HU (using pre-outs or the adapter to convert the speaker signals).
3. Pull the whole system and put in a complete aftermarket setup.

I just replaced the HU in my 96 GLE... there is a HU from a 97 listed for sale in the classifieds - swapping out your HU for a working on is the easiest fix. Of course, the only catch there is you don't know how long before that one will fail too.
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:24 PM

maybe some short circuit somewhere reads the cd but sends error codes, doesn't sound like it's dirty. replace it with an aftermarket one. goes well with the bose speakers.
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:24 PM

i had the same problem...it played the cd for like half a song, then it started becoming all staticy and then it would say Err, whch is CD Error....i thought it mite have bin caused by a dirty lens...but then i just replaced the whole HU w/a 99 SE HU.....it sucks tho b/c my car is a 98 GLE w/ 200watt bose, and w/this 99 SE HU, it doesn't sound as good, but my mom wants the CD so i had to sacrifice...
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:32 PM

Do you get an error msg like "CD ERR" or does the display just freeze up? For the former problem, you can take apart your Bose and resolder the resistors on the power board. This fix seems to work for some people. The Bose HUs on ebay are sometimes at the same cost of aftermarket HUs so finding one for cheap may take some time. I recently had a power-on problem with my Bose and it ended up that the repair to the unit was at the level of aftermarket units. I actually went without a radio for 3 weeks trying to look for a replacement but never found one within the price I wanted to pay. I eventually decided to go with a all aftermarket replacement to my Bose system and I don't regret it at all. Do what is best for your situation financially but personally, I would use this opportunity as an excuse to go aftermarket. Good luck to you.
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:37 PM
V^___^V

http://www.carstereohelp.com/nissanBoseMax.htm